Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FalconHeavy caravan?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Xenius

Apr 24, 2015
Havertown, PA
Hey folks, I'm currently planning to go down to FL for FalconHeavy. Assuming we get more than a few days heads up for the first planned date, anyone interested in forming a Tesla fleet?

I'll be starting out from Philadelphia, then moving on down the dreaded 95 corridor.

Initial route via superchargers looks something like (did a quick plan via evtripplanner.com)

Aberdeen, DE
Woodbridge, VA
Glen Allen, VA
South Hill, VA
Raleigh, NC,
FAyetteville, NC
Florence, SC
Santee, SC
Savannah, GA
Kingsland
St. Augustine, FL

Going to stay with friends about two hours from the site. Anyone want to try and meet up to make the journey?

Jeff, John, and I have been planning to head for down. I even had hotel reservations. Unfortunately, the delays have likely made it impossible for me to go. I’ve got work commits Mon-Wed, and we’re picking up our Model 3 on Friday (although I suppose I could reschedule that.)

I haven’t seen a launch date. Just Elon’s tweet saying “in about a week”. Anyone know more than that?

I haven’t seen a launch date. Just Elon’s tweet saying “in about a week”. Anyone know more than that?

I saw (somewhere) that Feb 7th/8th was being kicked around. I think there's a launch that has to happen beforehand, not sure if that's a Falcon or a different company.

With "Musk Time" I somewhat doubt we're truly looking at next week. But I'm prepped to go whenever!

I came to FL hoping the launch would have been last week. I even went to KSC and took a photo of FH sitting on pad 39A. I cannot stay in FL indefinitely so it looks like I'll miss this one:eek::mad:

Hey folks, I'm currently planning to go down to FL for FalconHeavy. Assuming we get more than a few days heads up for the first planned date, anyone interested in forming a Tesla fleet?

I'll be starting out from Philadelphia, then moving on down the dreaded 95 corridor.

Initial route via superchargers looks something like (did a quick plan via evtripplanner.com)

Aberdeen, DE
Woodbridge, VA
Glen Allen, VA
South Hill, VA
Raleigh, NC,
FAyetteville, NC
Florence, SC
Santee, SC
Savannah, GA
Kingsland
St. Augustine, FL

Going to stay with friends about two hours from the site. Anyone want to try and meet up to make the journey?

Is there a reason you are going down 85 vs 95?

Aberdeen, DE
Woodbridge, VA
Glen Allen, VA
South Hill, VA
Raleigh, NC,
FAyetteville, NC
Florence, SC
Santee, SC
Savannah, GA
Kingsland
St. Augustine, FL

I was planning on going down for the launch and if possible I could join you guys Savannah, Kingsland, or St Agustine.

It would be a day trip for me from the FL Panhandle area.

I might join from Virginia. Put me on the tentative list for coordination. I have a ticket to view the launch from 3.9 miles away at the Apollo/Saturn V Center. Apart from the launch, this won't be much of a vacation for me. I need to get down and back as quickly as I can.

Do you plan to just use this post to coordinate or use another technique?

Hey @theflyer yeah I guess it kind of depends. Since there were very few solid yes from this thread I kind of set my own plan up. I'm attempting to leave Philly in the dead of night (Feb 5th, 3-4am) to try and scoot through DC before rush hour. I have friends who live in Savannah, GA somewhat near the supercharger. Figured I'd crash with them when I get in and then continue on down to FL early tuesday morning. I also have a friend who may or may not come with me. He can't take his S as it's a lease, but he's currently in CA (factory tour for him tomorrow) and so he's not sure on plans yet. He also hasn't bought a ticket, that I know of.

Right now other than me it's just you and @ccdisce that have expressed interest.

@Xenius and @ccdisce, I'm planning to depart Saturday and wind my way down to Florida hitting a variety of superchargers I haven't had the chance to visit yet. Maybe we could get a group chat started or some other way of staying in touch in case anyone needs help or if we wanted to try and gather for dinner Monday night? I'm in touch with another new Tesla owner who'll be departing Sunday.

There must be an app to help groups stay in touch and share trip status. Does anyone know of one?

If nothing else, maybe we just do a group SMS?

There's always Google Groups.

I had a conflict and couldn't make it, so missed out on a ticket purchase. Conflict now gone, and so are all the good spots. :(

Thinking the only option left is pulling over on the causeway, if that's even an option. Probable will have to sit this once in a lifetime event out and hope the live feeds work well. Sigh.

@Xenius and @ccdisce, I'm planning to depart Saturday and wind my way down to Florida hitting a variety of superchargers I haven't had the chance to visit yet. Maybe we could get a group chat started or some other way of staying in touch in case anyone needs help or if we wanted to try and gather for dinner Monday night? I'm in touch with another new Tesla owner who'll be departing Sunday.

There must be an app to help groups stay in touch and share trip status. Does anyone know of one?

If nothing else, maybe we just do a group SMS?

I'm totally game to start a group PM here, then move to SMS when needed, or get whatever chat program folks want.

Maybe start a FalconHeavy slack channel. I can look into it.

As for travelling, I have to wait until after the Eagles game Sunday, so I'm leaving at around 3am Monday morning, staying with friends 15 minutes from the Savannah, GA supercharger monday night, and then getting up early tuesday morning to go down to the Marriot near KSC and meet up with friends.