Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falken Azenis FK460 A/S Tires Preliminary Review - '21 Model 3 Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

The OEM Pirellis on my MY '21 Model 3 Performance have worn down to below tolerance after only driving less than 7k miles on them. I'm pretty spirited in my commutes, so it was somewhat expected they wouldn't last past the 12k mark. I'm surprised that I only got less than 7k out of them, however. In search of new tires, I decided to take a risk on the new FK460s by Falken. Researching them, and reading the limited reviews, the value and potential extended treadwear life was appealing. The tires are all-season, come with a 50k treadwear warranty and a 500 AA treadwear rating, which is more than double the Pirellis. I recently had them installed at a local tire shop after purchase and delivery from TireRack.com which appears to be one of the few outlets that carry them.

In my limited experience driving (less than 500 miles) with them on, these are considerably quieter than the Pirellis on city roads and even more so on freeways. The grip on the tires is comparable to the OEM Pirellis and perhaps exceeding them in wet conditions and I've driven both in dry and wet conditions. Stopping distance utilizing regen breaking seems to be outstanding. Can't really praise them enough, and they're less than half the price of the Pirellis or the Michelins. I got them for $172 bucks per, so all-in-all, about $900 bucks with install including tax.

Reactions: jpk195 and .Slug
Had my mind fully set in the Michelin Pilot AS4s and just heard about these. I’m at 34K and reading 5/32 all around on the OEM Goodyear F1 AS tires that came from the factory on my 20” Inductions (Model Y). Figure I have about a good 3-6 months left of safe tread.

But now I’m trying to put everything possible about the FK460 before pulling the trigger on the significantly more expensive AS4s!

Had my mind fully set in the Michelin Pilot AS4s and just heard about these. I’m at 34K and reading 5/32 all around on the OEM Goodyear F1 AS tires that came from the factory on my 20” Inductions (Model Y). Figure I have about a good 3-6 months left of safe tread.

But now I’m trying to put everything possible about the FK460 before pulling the trigger on the significantly more expensive AS4s!

So far, so good. However, there is a noticeable range hit using these as compared to the OEM Pirellis. I hit a pothole yesterday that probably developed after the rainy days here in So Cal, but the TPMS is still showing the same PSI as the days before so looks like I dodged a bullet. It seemed like a substantial bump too since I normally drive very spirited.

So far, so good. However, there is a noticeable range hit using these as compared to the OEM Pirellis. I hit a pothole yesterday that probably developed after the rainy days here in So Cal, but the TPMS is still showing the same PSI as the days before so looks like I dodged a bullet. It seemed like a substantial bump too since I normally drive very spirited.
what are the range/efficiency you get on the Falken compare to OEM?

I'm curious on the range hit as well. Currently these are 2 months out for availability but with some instant rebates and free road hazard they come out to $608 - worth the wait for me

I've had these on my car in 235/35R20 sizing since November, put about 3,500 miles on them so far.

I'd say the Pirellis are maybe 5% quieter due to foam lining, but the Falkens are more comfortable. Falkens grip way better in the rain. Pirelli consumption was about 235wh/mi new, and 215 wh/mi at 2mm tread remaining. Falkens started out around 245 wh/mi, but within 2,000 miles dropped to 230 wh/mi. I'd say they realistically they increase consumption by 10 wh/mi, but they feel like they grip way better in imperfect conditions.

Just put the FK460s on my '21 M3P after bubbling the tires on the right side of the car due to a pothole. It was a pain trying to get two of the Pirellis or any other alternatives in the proper size (235/35/20), due to out of stock conditions at Tesla and local tire vendors. Did some homework and got around the issue by bumping up to 245/35/20s.

Got the tires same day, a little more contact patch and more lip to protect the Ubers, which I'm happy about. I don't care about range or efficiency but I will update this thread on grip/noise. So far, the trip back to the house seemed good and yes, I do know that there is the weird +1/-1 (can't remember which) MPH speed adjustment, which is a minor issue in my book.

From considering a purchase of about $900+ dollars for two Pirellis, I'm really happy to put on a new, 4 tire set for a base price of $684.94 ($966.00 if you opt for the protection) @ Discount Tires.

If you're considering the Falkens, I would definitely recommend thinking about the bumping up the width for availability and price.

Reactions: JohnnyMa and JezzaE
Just put the FK460s on my '21 M3P after bubbling the tires on the right side of the car due to a pothole. It was a pain trying to get two of the Pirellis or any other alternatives in the proper size (235/35/20), due to out of stock conditions at Tesla and local tire vendors. Did some homework and got around the issue by bumping up to 245/35/20s.

Got the tires same day, a little more contact patch and more lip to protect the Ubers, which I'm happy about. I don't care about range or efficiency but I will update this thread on grip/noise. So far, the trip back to the house seemed good and yes, I do know that there is the weird +1/-1 (can't remember which) MPH speed adjustment, which is a minor issue in my book.

From considering a purchase of about $900+ dollars for two Pirellis, I'm really happy to put on a new, 4 tire set for a base price of $684.94 ($966.00 if you opt for the protection) @ Discount Tires.

If you're considering the Falkens, I would definitely recommend thinking about the bumping up the width for availability and price.
I'm getting mine installed today, will provide an update after a week. I'm surprised you got them through DT; my DT in DFW doesn't carry them. I got it at Tire Rack, availability was out to June but I lucked out (someone canceled their order in PHI and they routed it to me.)

Reactions: JezzaE
I'm getting mine installed today, will provide an update after a week. I'm surprised you got them through DT; my DT in DFW doesn't carry them. I got it at Tire Rack, availability was out to June but I lucked out (someone canceled their order in PHI and they routed it to me.)
So here's the update, with some interesting findings... There is a slight increase in noise and by that, I mean a slight hum that increases with speed. Gives the car a slight RC kind of vibe, much like hearing the electric motor whine. My normal streaming habits, on volume level 4 all but blocks it out.

Steering
The steering does feel a little heavier when turning (not as agile) but the flip-side is that it is pretty planted going in a straight line. Car feels ' sturdier' if that makes sense.

Torque - Off the line stomp
Car doesn't have that instantaneous 'snap' that it had before and flicking the pedal is more subdued, so this is probably better for those who have motion sickness. Speed is definitely more progressive than before. This part disappoints a little, but don't get me wrong, the car is still quicker than it should be.

Traction
Drove them for an hour in the rain yesterday and they definitely feel 'safer'; more grip and less bobbing in puddles or a little more confidence when turning on wet pavement.

Overall, I'm happy with them for the price point and they do look like they will protect my wheels better than the stock tires. If I were to sum it all up, it would be like putting some Doc Martins on a ballerina...

Maybe some of this would be mitigated if they were the recommended size, but I'm okay with the trade-off. More than anything I would like to get someone's input on these in the 'correct' size just for comparison's sake.

Reactions: JohnnyMa and JezzaE
I feel the same to your update on the Falkens, especially on the steering feel. These tires do have a deeper tread, so really wasn't expecting PS4S level of response. i'm coming from OE size MPS4S. They do feel to provide more "cushion" at this size as well 245/35/20.

Reactions: JezzaE
So here's the update, with some interesting findings... There is a slight increase in noise and by that, I mean a slight hum that increases with speed. Gives the car a slight RC kind of vibe, much like hearing the electric motor whine. My normal streaming habits, on volume level 4 all but blocks it out.

Steering
The steering does feel a little heavier when turning (not as agile) but the flip-side is that it is pretty planted going in a straight line. Car feels ' sturdier' if that makes sense.

Torque - Off the line stomp
Car doesn't have that instantaneous 'snap' that it had before and flicking the pedal is more subdued, so this is probably better for those who have motion sickness. Speed is definitely more progressive than before. This part disappoints a little, but don't get me wrong, the car is still quicker than it should be.

Traction
Drove them for an hour in the rain yesterday and they definitely feel 'safer'; more grip and less bobbing in puddles or a little more confidence when turning on wet pavement.

Overall, I'm happy with them for the price point and they do look like they will protect my wheels better than the stock tires. If I were to sum it all up, it would be like putting some Doc Martins on a ballerina...

Maybe some of this would be mitigated if they were the recommended size, but I'm okay with the trade-off. More than anything I would like to get someone's input on these in the 'correct' size just for comparison's sake.
I've driven about 120 miles this weekend on the new tires, 235/35-20 stock size, some random thoughts:

-They don't seem quieter, or as quiet as OEM Michelins. I'm trying to remember how it was when new; my tread had worn down to the wear bars so I was hearing every bit of the road, so it's definitely quieter than worn tires. Road noise is certainly noticeable but not bothersome, I don't hear it over the music.
-They do feel on the whole "sturdier", but it's very subtle. I don't notice too much of a noticeable change in steering or off-the-line torque (it may feel a tad bit heavier, which lines up with your impression.)
-I was hoping that even though it was the same size tire, it'd have a bit more rim protection like I've seen in the past with other cars when changing tire brands. No, they're actually probably a tiny bit worse; the rim looks even more exposed. I'm going to do 245 next time for sure.

I still don't mind; I basically got them for $600 for four 20" A/S with a tire warranty which we're guaranteed to use. Tire Rack also offers free replacement warranty similar to DT's tire certificates. The tradeoffs are more than ok for me than paying $1k for Michelins or comparables. Now to get it aligned; my steering wheel was slightly off center before and now it's even more off center with new rubber on.

Reactions: XPsionic and ianc
Hello everyone,

The OEM Pirellis on my MY '21 Model 3 Performance have worn down to below tolerance after only driving less than 7k miles on them. I'm pretty spirited in my commutes, so it was somewhat expected they wouldn't last past the 12k mark. I'm surprised that I only got less than 7k out of them, however. In search of new tires, I decided to take a risk on the new FK460s by Falken. Researching them, and reading the limited reviews, the value and potential extended treadwear life was appealing. The tires are all-season, come with a 50k treadwear warranty and a 500 AA treadwear rating, which is more than double the Pirellis. I recently had them installed at a local tire shop after purchase and delivery from TireRack.com which appears to be one of the few outlets that carry them.

In my limited experience driving (less than 500 miles) with them on, these are considerably quieter than the Pirellis on city roads and even more so on freeways. The grip on the tires is comparable to the OEM Pirellis and perhaps exceeding them in wet conditions and I've driven both in dry and wet conditions. Stopping distance utilizing regen breaking seems to be outstanding. Can't really praise them enough, and they're less than half the price of the Pirellis or the Michelins. I got them for $172 bucks per, so all-in-all, about $900 bucks with install including tax.

I have had 2 sets of Falken Azenis FK510s. Indeed, they are much much cheaper than the Michelin PS4's

However - the Falkens are LOUD LOUD LOUD. The road noise is terrible.

Did anyone drive with these in the snow? Considering running a set of these for my commute in New England. I don’t expect winter tire or CrossContact levels of grip but if they are decent in light snow that should work.
Gonna find out this winter. I just picked up a set of 235/45/18 FK460's to throw on a set of 18's I have for winter. I also will not be leaving the house if we get any significant amount of snow lol

Reactions: jpk195
Here are some pics of the FK460s (245/35r20) on my dirty 2023.
br.jpeg
fr.jpeg

Reactions: Daekwan and msb175