Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fall leaves in the frunk!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am finding that the fall leaves are getting into my frunk! They're collecting everywhere. It seems like there should be a rubber or foam barrier under the frunk lid near the windshield, to prevent such intrusions. Besides the annoyance of finding my frunk and surrounding areas full of leaves and such, other leaves are making their way into seams and deep wells that the hinges (lifting arms?) are set into. I have seen this before with other vehicles - leaves collect in little pockets and crevices under the hood, then they get wet, then there's more leaves … after a few years you've got some fine compost in there.

Has anyone else seen this? Is there anything to do outside of constantly clean it all out?

Steve
frunk_leaves_1.jpg

Frunk_leaves_2.jpg

frunk_leaves_1.jpg
Frunk_leaves_2.jpg

Reactions: UnicornDriver
The frunk bay should be sealed by the gasket pressing against the frunk lid. Don't know how the leaves got in there. Outside of the gasket, leaves are always going to get in from the wiper area as you note. I take a leaf blower and give a good blast because it can be hard to reach into all those nooks and crannies.

The frunk bay should be sealed by the gasket pressing against the frunk lid. Don't know how the leaves got in there. Outside of the gasket, leaves are always going to get in from the wiper area as you note. I take a leaf blower and give a good blast because it can be hard to reach into all those nooks and crannies.

I agree.

It is possible the frunk is sealed, but a large quantity of leaves are collecting under the wiper area and when the lid is raised all the leaves fall into the frunk area. To try to confirm this I would make sure to remove as many leaves under the wiper as possible before opening the lid.

My guess is they were not in the Frunk until you lifted the lid and sucked them in.
And this would be correct. Even if grains of sand could get past the seal it is a FACT water would pass through too. It would be IMPOSSIBLE for leaves to pass through the seal while blocking water ingress. Water will ALWAYS find a way if there is a way for any thing else (liquid or solid).

So, I was thinking for those with leaf issues, you could get a piece of that "gutter stuff", which you could trim to size. Place it at the top of the hood, and it'll block your leaves while allowing air and water to pass as before. You need the air supply for the ventilation intake. Also, stuff some pieces in the hood hinge area, to prevent leaves from falling in there, but since it's soft, it'll scrunch.
GUTTERSTUFF 5 in. x 48 in. K-Style Foam Gutter Filter-GS-K5 SPAN - The Home Depot