Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falling Canadian Dollar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was in the dealership parking lot Thursday night browsing at colors, when the little bird whispered in my ear that prices might be going up in the next 48 hours therefore I cruised on home and quickly placed my order for a loaded red P 80 5D with executive rear seats. Today I was browsing the dealership parking lot again and a little bird told me prices went up $8,000. Not sure I would've been willing to pay the extra $8000. Glad I ordered.

Well I had a test drive and was scheduling a second trade in appraisal when the price went up - no little birdie told me anything. Not impressed that some prospective buyers were given a heads up and others were not. There should be consistency in how this is handled. Bad price communication and implementation Tesla! I am now rethinking the purchase.

I am in tears.. I just sold my TESLA P85 and I am only a few hours away from ordering and I see the price jump 8K... I don't know what to do! I was bound to happen, but 8K is alot of money for the same car just a few days ago.

the car I was ordering was 134K,, P85D, dark grey, 19's, sunroof, dual charger, auto pilot, Audio, smart suspension, spoiler, sub zero, next gen seat. carbon decor 143,370.00 this is like 9K more than a few days.

On top of that I took a hit on my current car!!!!!

Am I crazy!!

Last edited:
I feel the same way as you, In2oil. All indicators pointed to a Canadian dollar buying about 85 cents US. as it does now. It has been near par with the US for a long time and it was bound to make a correction sooner or later.
Not only can I not fix the price of my Model X yet, I must accept the fact that the $8,500 Ontario incentive may be removed before 2016. I hope everyone has bought, and paid for, their retirement property in Florida by now. Opportunity knock but once.

That is a real downer for me. I'm really sad because odds are that not only I won't get an X, but even the S is slowly getting out of range. I have reserved my X about a year ago and at the time, Model S was much cheaper than it is now. I know that Model X will be a little more expensive than the S (I'm guesstimating 10%), so I've used the S price + 10% to budget the cost of my X. When the D came out, I thought I would be able to get a pretty good approximation of the price of my X. Now with this increase, plus probably another increase of all Tesla products across the board (how many times did the base price of Model S went up the past 3 years?!?), I am probably looking at 125k Tx-incl (incl Qc incentive) for a 85kw ModelX-TechPack-Dual Charger-Subzero build.

All that time I was waiting for the X, I could have bought a Model S (I came very close to get an 85D, but I figured the X was worth the wait). My friend got a 85S 2 years ago and his was much cheaper than what I would pay now. Of course the current S is better, but the price went up much more than my economic increase! Looking at the charts, I see the distance between a Tesla and my driveway increase every month... Could I still afford a ModelX at 125k? Probably. Is it worth it? Not sure. In Quebec, the infrastructures and not there yet and with the distance I travel, it requires a lot of planning during winter. I've been hearing all the stories from my friend who owns a 85S and owning a Tesla is not perfect. Better than all the other EVs? Absolutely. But at that price, I would be a lot more comfortable if I knew it would go without hiccups (not talking about hiccups related to owning a vehicle, but rather EV problems like range, etc...). I will keep my reservation until the final X comes out, but it is getting harder and harder every time I see a price increase to put that much money on a vehicle.

It would have been nice if Tesla would have waited a little longer to see if the dollar could bounce back. As someone said earlier, when the looney was higher than the US dollar, we never saw a price drop.... It always seem to go one way! :-(

I truly am sorry for you Canadians being caught in the all-too familiar situation of being on the wrong end of a foreign exchange correction.

HOWEVER.....

As I read through this thread, it also appears to me that:

1. there has been consensus that the C$-US$ exchange rate was very likely to go - sometime - in the direction it has indeed gone.

2. each of you has been expecting to be paying a fairly significant hunk of shekels some time in the indefinite, but reasonably near, future, of an item that is sourced in the US. In2Oil's story is about the only outlier that I have read here.

THEREFORE -

it also has been reasonable for each of you to have hedged this situation by any number of means, all of which boil down to having the US$ amount of your transaction secured at the time of your decision to buy.

I don't believe I'm wrong here; if anyone could corroborate my opinion by claiming that is indeed what he/she did, and therefore isn't in this pickle, that would be nice....

it also has been reasonable for each of you to have hedged this situation by any number of means, all of which boil down to having the US$ amount of your transaction secured at the time of your decision to buy.

Can`t say you are not right. It wouldn`t have absorbed the MSRP Tesla increase, but it would have helped for the latest price increase for sure. But I think it is easier said then done since if we were all that smart, we would have all seen it coming and a lot of people would cash in by playing the currency exchange game.

In the end, what makes me sad is that we might see less Tesla in Canada. My biggest incentive to buy a Tesla was to go green. The more Tesla I see on the road, the better I`ll feel. I`m just sad to think that I might end up with a Volt, or a BMW i<something> instead of a Tesla.

I tried not to be harsh with what I wrote, and hope it didn't come across that way.

* It is how, on a larger scale, just about everyone involved in medium- to large-scale international transactions operates.

* For individuals, most of us will consider a $100K transaction to be a fairly large to very large transaction.

* For myself, I know that every year, twice a year I will be purchasing a lot of diesel, and have other expenditures, as I pass through Canada. To cushion any FX shock, I try to accumulate an approximately appropriate amount of C$ for this. Sometimes I am ahead a little, sometimes behind a little, but even that very simplistic process goes an immensely long way towards mitigating the Ouch Factor.

I must say that I am one of those who did not want to underestimate my ability to pay for the unknown price of my model X. The day I put in my reservation I purchased my Ontario vanity plate "TESLA EX" ($260) & transferred $180K of Canadian mutual funds into USl investments.

I tried not to be harsh with what I wrote, and hope it didn't come across that way.

No worries, it did not. :)

I admit that this is/would be my biggest purchase after my house, and I am not involved often with international transactions. It's interesting to see the modus operandi of guys like you (I mean guys who are used to that kind of stuff). I did import a Japanese car a few years ago (Nissan Skyline GT-R) and I never thought about looking into that. I will certainly remember your advice since it does make a lot of sense. I just wasn't sharp enough to do it!

It's the implementation strategy of the price increase that is upsetting as much as the financial hit. It would have been more equitable and tolerable to pre announce the price increase with a short grace period e.g provide a week for potential buyers to make their decisions and commit at old pricing. This would have paid off in spades for Tesla with on the fence buyers finally making a decision to buy whereas many now will not buy at all. There could of been such a positive public relations long term benefit for Tesla to treat buyers and potential buyers in a "best of class" way. This was a missed opportunity for a Tesla as much as a significant financial hit for customers.

It's the implementation strategy of the price increase that is upsetting as much as the financial hit. It would have been more equitable and tolerable to pre announce the price increase with a short grace period e.g provide a week for potential buyers to make their decisions and commit at old pricing. This would have paid off in spades for Tesla with on the fence buyers finally making a decision to buy whereas many now will not buy at all. There could of been such a positive public relations long term benefit for Tesla to treat buyers and potential buyers in a "best of class" way. This was a missed opportunity for a Tesla as much as a significant financial hit for customers.

I remember that last time Tesla did a price increase, it was announced and made very public about 2 weeks ahead of time. (However, this was not due to a falling dollar.) They increased the price by a few thousand.
I agree that it could have worked in Tesla's favour to announce the price increase ahead of time.

That is so true. Tbh I would have pulled the trigger on my purchase immediately. Tesla really messed up on this one. I have been in contact with tesla Vancouver and the headquarter several times in the last two months. They should have tolls potential buyers of the eminent price increase. Just the hint of an increase of 6-7 percent would have been enough for me to place my order on the spot. If anyone outhere that has a p85d on order or has a car for sale that may want to unload for any reason. Drop me a line I am ready to buy for the price you paid. Thanks.

Guys for what it's worth they have 3 P85Ds available in inventory to sell at old prices, (for now).
2 black ones in Montreal that can be shipped and a white one in Toronto.
You should jump on them if you're interested.

I have an idea . what about we all get together and write a letter to elon musk and offer us, immediate potential buyers, to buy a new tesla with the options we want at the old price. Tesla should have given some warning of the upcoming price increase. This would be an incredible opportunity to the industry that tesla is different and much better. We cannot waste much time! Let's act now! I am ready to commit to a purchase now for delivery early April. I don't want my new tesla in the snow or dirty streets full of rocks ! Calgary is really bad. I sure hope tesla will read this.. Call me tesla!

- - - Updated - - -

My P85D had everything except the rear seats and I was around $145k. Even with the recent increases that would make the Model X about $30k more than a Model S - does that make sense?

Now with the price increase! for 145k, you don't get the premium interior, and the 21inch rims. Sad!