Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falling CDN$ affect Tesla prices?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also Tesla does build a little exchange rate hedge into the price. That said, the dollar change has no doubt exceeded that hedge.

It remains to be seen how long the price of oil stays where it is.

I think the term you mean is buffer. It's unlikely but Tesla could have had an actual hedge or forward contract in CAD/USD...

Food for thought as the USD has advanced vs. CAD a lot of the companies revenue is in USD and this makes their daily operational costs in CAD cheaper. Stuff like salaries, rent for facilities etc. I wonder how those costs compare to the # of cars being purchased in Canada. It might be the case that Tesla's Canadian revenue and operational cost changes in USD might actually be unchanged...

Agreed ^

Also to mention, falling oil prices that will make the switch to a Tesla less appealing at this point. If they were to raise prices, I think they'd end up losing a lot of potential customers.

But I doubt their prices will go up because the model S has been around for a while, their manufacturing processes have become more efficient and a lot of that invested R&D has been getting paid off, it will just balance if not lower the cost.

Even if they have to eat some loss, it would not be in their best interest to raise prices. Sort of the same idea with Sony and their PlayStation, they'll make up the loss per console sold through volume and future sales. Eventually everything works out and everyone's happy. Greed never helped anyone, not in this day and age.