Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falling ice on my hood - Body shop :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unbelievable.... We just moved our offices to the old Clock Tower in Maynard (aside: there's a Black S85 there too - look forward to running into that owner, if you're on TMC, feel free to message me here).

Third day parking at the new digs officially (not counting all the moving prep) yesterday and didn't realize I had parked directly below a connector bridge between two buildings. After Wednesday's big snow storm (we got about a foot), the snow was melting on the heated bridge on Thursday resulting in large icicles forming and falling three stories crashing into the hood (and pano roof and windshield) of my car all day without my knowledge...

When I returned to the car to head home, it was encased in ice and there was significant damage to the hood over the frunk - several large dents, minor divots and scratches. And only 3,000 miles on the car! Waaaaahhhhhh!!!!! :(

Today I spoke with my insurance agent, Tesla HQ and Watertown, their authorized body shop (Hollis in Ashland), and the managers of the facility. Joy. Given the aluminum construction, the damage is not repairable - the entire hood assembly needs to be replaced. Labor rates at Hollis are $125/hr and the hood from Tesla (without paint, before freight, and reasonable mark-up by the shop) is on the order of $1200 - so total repair is expected to be in the $3-$4K range. I'll be navigating with which lucky insurance company (my auto policy or the landlord's policy) will be paying for this, but all I want to do is get it taken care of (I would just pay for it myself but this is why we have insurance, right?). I keep my cars in mint showroom condition and it was quite a blow to my senses - such a beautiful machine marred - just unfair. Luckily, she's drivable, it's completely fixable for a price, and better the car than some pedestrian passing by...

At Hollis, I ran into another owner (blue S85 or P85?) who was just dropping off a car with some rear hatch damage and saw a recently repaired brown S85/P85 in the bay. I also enjoyed Robert Boston's review of Hollis earlier hoping to never need the services of a body shop - at least I feel confident in their abilities. Sigh...

Just sharing. When you park, don't forget to look up!

Sorry to hear it, @notice. $3-4K sounds about right - it cost that much to replace one of my rear doors when I was hit in a snowstorm the second day I had the car. Hollis did a great job and it looked like new afterwards. Consider it a kind of christening or rite of passage...

Depending on your carrier and deductible, it probably makes sense and is less hassle to have your insurer handle things with Hollis then make a subrogation claim against the landlord. In my case because it wasn't my fault Travelers claimed against the other driver's policy and I paid no deductible nor did it affect my rates.

Hope you get it back in perfect shape soon!

I'm sorry to hear it... :(. Every time I hear about another Tesla needing body repair it make me cringe! It's so sad to see such beautiful machines needing some TLC.

I just picked up my P85 from Hollis last Tuesday (after six weeks!) because of an accident in December that caused damage to my hood, left fender and left front door. I've posted pics on the forum (in a thread about Hollis Auto Body). It ended up costing over $20,000! So I'm not surprised about a $3-4,000 estimate. I wouldn't be surprised if it climbs another $1,000 or two.

Hollis Auto Body did a fabulous job on the repair. I examined the damaged areas very closely after the repair and it's been absolutley restored to factory condition! And they did an absolutely top of the line auto detailing that made it look and feel like my P85 rolled right out of the factory!

My only gripe is that Hollis has a horrendous record of very poor communications with the owners during the repair process. I've had to pester the shop to get updates on repair status... Because of this I probably will take my P85 back to Prime Collision in West Roxbury although they're not a Tesla factory authorized shop.

Prime is one of 3 aluminum body shops in MA authorized by Audi. And I've been taking my previous vehicles to them for last twenty years with great consistent results. Prime assigns dedicated customer reps who keep the owners informed through out the repair process, and I've always been happy with their customer service.

Good luck navigating through the repair process and I hope you get your MS back in tip top shape soon!

Last edited: