TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

False BMW claims

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by andrew kelsey, Aug 29, 2013.

1. andrew kelsey

andrew kelsey Member

The latest BMW advert in the UK for the new BMWi3 claims:

"The new BMW i3, the world's first premium car to be truly born electric from the ground up."

The Model S was launched in June 2012. It's a premium electric car, truly born electric from the ground up. The BMW claim is false and I've written and complained to the ASA (Advertising Standards Authority) in the UK. As the regulator they should deal with this but if Tesla are not aware of it they should be.

2. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

Published where? Can you grab this for TMC?
    --

3. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

Truly born from the ground up remains of what? :)

/Ed

4. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

They'll tack on something like "from a full line manufacturer" or some such to be truthful. :)

Maybe, the i3 will beat the Model S to be the first blah RHD vehicle?

5. PokerBroker

PokerBroker Member

Honestly, let people lease the i3 for three years and then turn it in for a GenIII... the i3 isn't really a threat to Tesla's current business model

6. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

(possible double post)

I'm not sure how one goes about prosecuting for false claims, but ANYONE who writes "...to be truly born electric from the ground up" needs be, in the immortal words of Prof. Henry Higgins, prosecuted for the cold-blooded murder of the English tongue.

7. andrew kelsey

andrew kelsey Member

It was in the Daily Telegraph, a national newspaper, on Tuesday August 27th, on page 3. It was part of the spiel in a half page advert, which had the main title "Some lead, others follow." Indeed, Tesla led and BMW followed! It's not a big deal but I don't think they should get away with lying in the national press. I expect they'll use the same claim in other media if nobody stops them and the longer it goes on and the more it is repeated the more people will believe it. I expect the ASA will ask them to stop making the claim but a little pressure from Tesla might help.

8. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

The exact quote is

and they even go on to say this too:

more on their "born eletric":

bmwi3.png

link to full release:

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/pressclub/p/gb/pressDetail.html?title=the-new-bmw-i3-%E2%80%93-born-to-be-electric&outputChannelId=8&id=T0144135EN_GB&left_menu_item=node__6729

and I wonder where they got this idea from....
    gee this sounds familiar too:

I wonder how many other ideas they are going to steal and say "worlds first" yadda yadda , I agree they should get reemed for these blatant press lies.

putting the release here too:

9. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Kind of sad really. For BMW.

10. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

#10 scottf200, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
  11. andrew kelsey

andrew kelsey Member

I appreciate the help yobigd20 but, just for the record, the exact quote from the Telegraph on that date was exactly as I quoted it in my original post. I wouldn't put an approximate quote on here would I. Of course they may well have written it differently elsewhere. Under the main title:

SOME LEAD OTHERS FOLLOW. they say:

At BMW, we lead the charge when it comes to innovation, but our latest car is more than just innovative; it's a new dawn in automotive history. The new BMW i3, the world's first premium car to be truly born electric from the ground up. All it needs now is pioneers; those driven enough and bold enough to experience the thrill of pure electric driving pleasure. The world is becoming electric. Don't wait. It's time to lead. Sign up for a test drive today at become electric.co.uk

I only really object to the second sentence, which is just inaccurate, the rest is just the usual advertising bs.

12. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Total Smeghead

Even I, who often defended BMW, think they are doing themselves a disservice with such blatant ignorance of Tesla (and Renault too).
    I guess when it comes to a legal battle they will resort to some sort of trickery, like saying they were referring only to the UK market, where the i3 might hit the streets before the Model S or the Zoe - but will it really?

13. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

The claim is just plain wrong.

14. Cheerose

Cheerose Member

The only way that that claim might be right is if all of their parts were made internally; vs. Tesla getting some of their parts from other sources.

15. GSP

GSP Member

I think that the UK government takes public complaints of false advertising seriously. Perhaps some of our UK members can register a complaint.

GSP

16. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

Perhaps by "world" they consider Tesla not to be a globally distributed brand...

17. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

They'll just say that BMW advertisements and press releases are only for entertainment. "The Top Gear Maneuver"

- - - Updated - - -

With Model S vehicles delivered in at least 3 countries (US, Canada, Norway) and present in many others, that's kind of impossible to defend. And that's ignoring Roadsters.

18. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

We have a thread for this*.

The TMC braintrust has done a pretty good job of nipping this stuff in the bud.

That thread was designed false for ICE claims but the point remains. The large manufactures and their adverting agencies and lawyers for both just ignore tiny Tesla and think they can get away with this.

19. Ampster

Ampster Member

My apologies if this has already been said. If the BMW ads get a diehard ICE BMW fan interested in electric power then who cares. I believe a rising tide lifts all boats. Tesla, being the first and best should be in a position to benefit.

20. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I'm kind of surprised Elon hasn't tweeted about this yet. He must have some new handlers.