Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

False BMW claims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
> The only way that that claim might be right is if all of their parts were made internally; vs Tesla getting some of their parts from other sources. [Cheerose]

This could well be the basis of their logic. But:

1. rear view mirror (by Volvo)
2. Steering wheel & column (by Mercedes)
3. Batteries (18650 cells by Panasonic & others)

is all I can come up with. And since when can a mfr NOT outsource individual parts & components? The Pontiac Fiero was a kit-car but all the major segments were GM.
--

I have received a reply from the ASA....see below. Now we just have to wait and see if they will do anything about it!

Thank you for submitting your complaint to the Advertising Standards Authority.

We will assess your complaint and we aim to let you know whether we intend to pursue it within ten working days. If we will not be able to reach a decision by that time we will let you know.

For information on our procedures and the action we can take on complaints please see our leaflet Your complaint. What happens now? (http://www.asa.org.uk/Consumers/~/media/Files/ASA/Misc/ASA_consumer_complaints_single_Final.ashx).

Should you need to contact us regarding your complaint please quote [REF NUMBER] A13-241912

The Advertising Standards Authority Ltd, Registered Number 0733214
The Advertising Standards Authority (Broadcast) Ltd, Registered Number 5130991
The Committee of Advertising Practice Ltd, Registered Number 8310744
The Broadcast Committee of Advertising Practice Ltd, Registered Number 5126412

Registered Office: Mid City Place, 71 High Holborn, London, WC1V 6QT

The information contained in this electronic correspondence and any files transmitted with it is intended for the addressee only and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the addressee please delete this message and notify the sender; you should not copy or distribute this message or disclose its contents to anyone.

I have received a reply from the ASA....see below. Now we just have to wait and see if they will do anything about it!

That's pretty awesome that there's an actual board that will review advertising. I have read about the UK making people take back their advertisements. This ad from BMW is a little sad for BMW, but it's not that surprising. Ever heard of the world champion baseball team? How about the world champion basketball and football teams? World champion American maybe.

- - - Updated - - -

That's pretty awesome that there's an actual board that will review advertising. I have read about the UK making people take back their advertisements. This ad from BMW is a little sad for BMW, but it's not that surprising. Ever heard of the world champion baseball team? How about the world champion basketball and football teams? World champion American maybe.

My apologies if this has already been said. If the BMW ads get a diehard ICE BMW fan interested in electric power then who cares. I believe a rising tide lifts all boats. Tesla, being the first and best should be in a position to benefit.

Well, I guess I was wrong about that according to the latest Road & Track review of the i3.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-reviews/road-tests/performance-tests-road-tests-bmw-i3-65-3-roa1013

It doesn't look like the i3 is going to benefit from that rising tide. The author even scribbled in his notebook "This ain't no Tesla. It's not a BMW, either."
LOL

With Model S vehicles delivered in at least 3 countries (US, Canada, Norway) and present in many others, that's kind of impossible to defend. And that's ignoring Roadsters.

Except the roadster was a transformation of a non-electric Lotus. The Model S, however, was designed solely as an electric vehicle.

It funny that in the same article that they claim it was designed as an electric vehicle, they mention the i3 has a "hybrid" synchronous electric motor

- - - Updated - - -

I hate to see such a pitiful excuse for a vehicle give credence to the notion that EV's are a failure. I don't mind seeing BMW have a failure, but it does not enhance the image for electric vehicles.

The Tesla Roadster is a modified Lotus Elise. It's not an electric car designed from stretch.

The Model S however is not yet available in the UK or Japan. The BMWi3 has worldwide status, right from the start.

Nethertheless, according to my info BMW has already more than 30.000 orders. It's basically sold out through the whole 2014.

BMW stock made new ATH today in Frankfurt, by the way.

according to my info BMW has already more than 30.000 orders.

This is pure speculation on my part - perhaps someone with experience in the industry can correct or verify this conjecture:

If the above is true, could this be one of the advantages of the auto industry's dealership structure? That is, there is a tacit agreement between the manufacturers and the network of dealers that at least "X" number of any particular model will be purchased by every dealer? Get yourself a worldwide network of dealers and bingo, even that turd-sandwich of a camel wreck can show 30,000+ pre-orders. It thereupon is incumbent on each dealer to make the effort to sell its share of such vehicles, and all hope that the consumer responds positively, thus ensuring the longer-term life of each roll-out.

Truth, fantasy or some combination?

I don't think they have 30,000 hard orders with deposits. What they may have is 30,000 'reservations' which were allowed in a few European countries for a few months now. They are now beginning to contact the reservation holders to ask them if they want to proceed with a definitive order. Still, it's been much better than expected and BMW is actually going to have to push the US launch back a month or two because they won't be able to make them quick enough for the European launch which starts in November. Initially I believe BMW intended to launch in the States in early 2014, but now it's looking like March or April because of the high European demand. They will only have the capability to make 40,000 of them in the first year.

Nissan was taking 100 dollars to pre-order the Leaf. Tesla took 30 to $100K (non refundable) for the Roadster. What is BMW doing?

For a few months now you could "reserve" a place in line at no cost. Now that you can order one they are contacting the reservation holders and asking if they want to convert their reservation to a binding order or drop from the list.