Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

False claims - bear on Chinese forum making claims about TMC members' portfolios

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well this is amusing.

On the serious side I'll just cut right to the clarification, not that it's anybody's business: I've never made any trade decisions based on anything anyone from this forum has said. Bonnie and I have never spoken about investments. I've not held a position in TSLA for a while, either. I sold my position based on my personal feelings about the direction of the company, and I do believe I had mentioned that elsewhere on the forum here at some point also.

Trolls will be trolls.

@bonnie - If somehow these false claims actually turn into a real issue I'll happily help out however I can to clear up the matter.

Thanks, Jason. SEC would just have to look at my portfolio to assure themselves there was no insider trading. Such a ridiculous claim.

Since my moves over the last year have resulted in more losses than gains in TSLA related transactions if anything comes of this I will be happy to open my portfolio as well.

Thanks, Jason. SEC would just have to look at my portfolio to assure themselves there was no insider trading. Such a ridiculous claim.

My understanding is that, apart from gains made on trading, there needs to be some evidence of communications related to material information disclosure, like phone records, texts or similar.

It should be easy to disprove if false. It is quite difficult to prove if true.

Ohhman, thanks for clarifying info.

Don't bring me in this mess

Apologies

It is quite interesting that TSLA investment is being discussed on a Chinese forum.

I wonder if investment in TSLA is accessible to local Chinese. I'm inclined to think that only expatriates can access foreign markets, apart from large fund managers.

Any education on the topic is welcome.

The jig is up. All those on the list, including Bonnie, are me. I have a split personality....Oh, and I am Elon Musk as well. Well, since I have told you all that: The model3 is under production now in my basement and it will have 'safe driver mode' and 'folding second row seats'.

No, you're not. I am Elon Musk - and so is my wife :wink:

And now all: "hail Brian, ehm Elon I mean"...

- - - Updated - - -

To clarify, the person we're talking about is NOT 'inside my circle' -- I'm sure of this since I don't have a circle.

Maybe that Chinese panda was talking about those mysteriuos crop circles in the field behind your house :wink:

The screenshot came from a "club" on the largest Chinese forum that is not in China that covers a wide range of topics. Sort of like the "group" function on TMC, if TMC is also a place to discuss politics, movies, cuisine, etc.

There is wide interest in TSLA among the Chinese population, both back in China and those who are living elsewhere. And pretty naturally, our opinions on it are pretty polarized too, nothing different.

I heard a rumor that there is a fund in China holding almost 5% of the entire company. The fund manager definitely takes pride in buying a lot when it was two digits, but whether his fund has almost 5% of the company I'm not sure. But for individual investors in China, I don't think there's much.

It is quite interesting that TSLA investment is being discussed on a Chinese forum.

I wonder if investment in TSLA is accessible to local Chinese. I'm inclined to think that only expatriates can access foreign markets, apart from large fund managers.

Any education on the topic is welcome.

The screenshot came from a "club" on the largest Chinese forum that is not in China that covers a wide range of topics. Sort of like the "group" function on TMC, if TMC is also a place to discuss politics, movies, cuisine, etc.

There is wide interest in TSLA among the Chinese population, both back in China and those who are living elsewhere. And pretty naturally, our opinions on it are pretty polarized too, nothing different.

I heard a rumor that there is a fund in China holding almost 5% of the entire company. The fund manager definitely takes pride in buying a lot when it was two digits, but whether his fund has almost 5% of the company I'm not sure. But for individual investors in China, I don't think there's much.

Thanks, Fallenone. I was hoping to hear that I was wrong regarding offshore investing for locals.

Forum discussions in Chinese (Mandarin?) centered on Tesla will help to spread awareness of Tesla cars. It is unfortunate that some information is incorrect. It is even more unfortunate that false claims were made about Bonnie and some other TMCers.

That said, there is plenty of incorrect information here on TMC and elsewhere on the internet. False harmful allegations (made with impunity) against third parties seem to be abundant on the internet forums.

Since my moves over the last year have resulted in more losses than gains in TSLA related transactions if anything comes of this I will be happy to open my portfolio as well.

Sadly losing money isn't a defense. Hypothetically of course! But if one does trade on insider information it doesn't matter if you profit or lose. Again, no one here is doing such a thing, just an academic discussion.

Amusing thread, it's up there with the wild moon landing, Roswell and JFK assassination theories. Maybe we should have prizes for wild theory of the month?

P.S. Just FTR, I rarely share my TSLA position with anyone and even my best friends have no idea right now what, if any, my actual holdings are.

P.P.S. The only conspiracy Bonnie and I are in together is Stacklighting.com but that's not a secret, it's a really cool start-up started with some ex-Tesla talent.

The actual impact of those claims are pretty small IMO. Those were made in a semi-public section of the whole forum. To see those one have to apply to the moderator to join that section. It has a few dozen people in it but only a handful active ones, most are not even lurking I think.

Mainland Chinese investors are well aware of Tesla. Chinese trading platforms have a function called "concept groups" in which they throw some public companies that share the same "concept". For example, VR, internet of things, etc. There is a Tesla concept group that includes all Chinese EV manufacturers, charging station builders, battery companies, mining companies providing raw materials. The only other concept for a company I am aware of is Apple.

And just for amusement, LeTV (Leshi), the company backing FF had its PR contact several media outlets to spread "news" with title reads, "wide spread strikes caused by financial crisis, Nevada blaming Tesla for lying". The following link is exposing what LeTV did.

ä¹è§†å…¬å…³ç»™åª’体群å‘特斯拉负é¢ç¨¿å*|特斯拉|ä¹è§†|è´Ÿé¢_新浪财ç»_新浪网

This PR move didn't get a lot of attention. But it is funny what has been going on with FF

What's happening with Faraday Future in Nevada - Business Insider

Supplier:Â* Faraday Future Not Paying Bills, Returning Phone Calls -Â* Update: Bill Now Paid

Thanks, Fallenone. I was hoping to hear that I was wrong regarding offshore investing for locals.

Forum discussions in Chinese (Mandarin?) centered on Tesla will help to spread awareness of Tesla cars. It is unfortunate that some information is incorrect. It is even more unfortunate that false claims were made about Bonnie and some other TMCers.

That said, there is plenty of incorrect information here on TMC and elsewhere on the internet. False harmful allegations (made with impunity) against third parties seem to be abundant on the internet forums.