Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

False claims - bear on Chinese forum making claims about TMC members' portfolios

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IF I'd been dabbling in a bit of insider trading, I wouldn't have started this thread. But since I'm not (def not), the SEC rules aren't applicable. Because they don't have a section to cover non-employees who aren't trading based on nonpublic information. Not that I see, anyway. :)

As for who tipped me off ... why do you think I'm not participating in that forum under another name?

- - - Updated - - -

Ahh, you outed yourself.

To clarify, the person we're talking about is NOT 'inside my circle' -- I'm sure of this since I don't have a circle. The only person who knows my positions in different stocks is my financial advisor. One forum member (NigelM) knows about my investment in a startup technology company, because he and I were angel investors on that. But that's all he knows about. I don't discuss my finances with people on an internet forum. (Sorry, guys, love you all ... but y'know. Not that much.)

In any case, I truly appreciate you giving me a heads up. That's not snitching. It's calling out a liar for what they are. Many thanks.
If you form a circle can I be in it?

Yeah, that was my reaction too. I am not famous enough :(

No problem. I just gave you more 'rep'..you are almost there. To get in though you also have to get Texas to allow TM stores. (Kinda like the Wizard of Oz and Dorothy having to prove her worth by doing in the 'wicked witch'). Just bring us a piece of an oil rig as proof. :wink:

I did. ..........If it makes me a snitch, so be it.

I would appreciate if someone tipped me off about untrue claims about me in China, so that does not make you a snitch, it makes you a concerned friendly TMCer

Kudos to you, and some reps to top it off

......Because if the claims were true, I don't think it's fair to Bonnie (whom I respect a lot for her actions for TM) for someone "inside her circle" to post her positions on a semi-public forum. If the claims were not true, then they are downright scandlizing her and others on this list. Either way I don't think Bonnie deserves this. .......

I doubt there are many TMCers here (apart from mysterious bear who posts on Chinese forums) that would entertain this funny proposition

To clarify my previous post, my understanding is that there needs to be a business relationship between the insider traders and the issuer of shares.
The traders need to either work for Tesla or a business associated with Tesla. In the absence of such relationship, there is no insider trading. I could be wrong on this.

Thanks for the support:smile:

I would appreciate if someone tipped me off about untrue claims about me in China, so that does not make you a snitch, it makes you a concerned friendly TMCer

Kudos to you, and some reps to top it off

I doubt there are many TMCers here (apart from mysterious bear who posts on Chinese forums) that would entertain this funny proposition

To clarify my previous post, my understanding is that there needs to be a business relationship between the insider traders and the issuer of shares.
The traders need to either work for Tesla or a business associated with Tesla. In the absence of such relationship, there is no insider trading. I could be wrong on this.

Just to clarify the confusion upthread, insider trading applies to anyone trading with inside information, regardless of whether they are associated with the company in question. Information from a vendor could reach a friend of a friend who told you - if you trade based on that nonpublic information, you (and the person who told you about it) are in for it.

SEC.gov | Insider Trading

The important thing to remember here is that if you trade on information that is not public, you're committing a felony.

It's unlike me to not include some kind of joke or humor here, but this stuff isn't funny so I don't want anyone getting confused by what was stated previously. And no, I don't believe that anyone here has performed trading actions based on inside information. I'd be disappointed if they had.

Well this is amusing.

On the serious side I'll just cut right to the clarification, not that it's anybody's business: I've never made any trade decisions based on anything anyone from this forum has said. Bonnie and I have never spoken about investments. I've not held a position in TSLA for a while, either. I sold my position based on my personal feelings about the direction of the company, and I do believe I had mentioned that elsewhere on the forum here at some point also.

Trolls will be trolls.

@bonnie - If somehow these false claims actually turn into a real issue I'll happily help out however I can to clear up the matter.

It's unlike me to not include some kind of joke or humor here, but this stuff isn't funny so I don't want anyone getting confused by what was stated previously. And no, I don't believe that anyone here has performed trading actions based on inside information. I'd be disappointed if they had.

And this is exactly why this has really bothered me. This is a pretty serious fabrication. I'd guess the person saying these things didn't think about the impact on others, but was rather using this story to shore up his own opinion and point to 'see, even these people agree with me privately!!!'.

Just to clarify the confusion upthread, insider trading applies to anyone trading with inside information, regardless of whether they are associated with the company in question. Information from a vendor could reach a friend of a friend who told you - if you trade based on that nonpublic information, you (and the person who told you about it) are in for it.

SEC.gov | Insider Trading

The important thing to remember here is that if you trade on information that is not public, you're committing a felony.

Perhaps this whole forum is a giant pyramid scheme funneling money toward the MP's!!