Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

False emergency collision braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else having issues with false emergency collision braking events? They tend to happen to me when I am approaching light colored cars that are stopped. Attached is an example from this morning. The dashcam video makes me look much closer than I was in real life. I had nearly two full car lengths in front of me and I was already actively braking before my car slammed on the brake. On top of that, there was no early collision warning given.

Attachments

• false_braking.zip
    7.6 MB · Views: 48
I had one last fall, San Jose to Las Vega. There was heavy traffic around La (surprise surprise) so we were probably only going ~30? Anyway car jammed on the brakes when there was plenty of room in front, alarming to say the least. Driver behind was not impressed with his perception of me brake checking him

No sounds or anything that I recall, no dash cam for me at that time either. I did call service within a minute or 2 of the event, hoping for logs or something useful. After many questions about milage since last firmware update etc they scheduled a camera calibration visit but at the visit about 10days later, the techs/service writer said it's beta software and sent me on my way .. luckily it has not happened since though plenty of phantom braking with AP but I pretty much don't use that anymore because of it, not even cruise because it (traffic aware cruise) suffers that same overly aggressive caution...

These type of events are fairly common in all cars with pre collision warning/ lemergency braking. We’ve had it happen once in the model 3. It happened so often when my wife had her SL we called it “Christine”. Happened often durring the 2 years I had my Grand Cherokee. Happens every once in a while in my current Lexus LX570.