Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

False FSD Strikes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you who are getting false positive strikes from the cabin camera, you should email fsdbeta at tesla dot com and request that cabin camera data be included in the AP snapshot. that way you can report these false positives and they have a chance at pinpointing the issue. I see no way for them to even realize a problem unless they collect data on the false positives.

-edit-

might be easier said than done since there's some privacy concerns about cabin camera leaving the car (and normal snapshot data IS tied to VIN). but having yet another button on the UI just for cabin camera issues seems unlikely/untenable.

For those of you who are getting false positive strikes from the cabin camera, you should email fsdbeta at tesla dot com and request that cabin camera data be included in the AP snapshot. that way you can report these false positives and they have a chance at pinpointing the issue. I see no way for them to even realize a problem unless they collect data on the false positives.

-edit-

might be easier said than done since there's some privacy concerns about cabin camera leaving the car (and normal snapshot data IS tied to VIN). but having yet another button on the UI just for cabin camera issues seems unlikely/untenable.
Would be nice if Tesla had a legitimate portal for this stuff. Not just aimlessly pressing a button and hoping they know what you’re reporting and why, or whether they will even look at your report.

In all fairness, occasionally, my car stops recognizing wheel input and start nagging with no amount of tugging effective. I've learned to simply disengage FSD and reengage it. That always clears up the problem. Hard to do that in the middle of a turn though!
I'm getting this quite often... where it stops recognizing all inputs, wheel torque, volume change, speed change... and often I just have to just take over or disengage with the stalk.
Without cabin camera I only have 3 strikes, and I the wheel nags are way more frequent than if the car has cabin camera.

This is a big problem because I want to pay more attention to the road rather than looking at the screen, and one would think I should be ok as long as I keep some torque on the wheel.
Unfortunately no, because it often stops recognizing wheel input, so I have to constantly look at the screen to make sure it's recognizing my hand on the wheel.

Does anyone know how much time from the "Apply Slight Turning Force to Steering Wheel" message to a forced disengagement/strike?
I'm guessing probably 10-15s

Reactions: bhakan
I'm getting this quite often... where it stops recognizing all inputs, wheel torque, volume change, speed change... and often I just have to just take over or disengage with the stalk.
Without cabin camera I only have 3 strikes, and I the wheel nags are way more frequent than if the car has cabin camera.

This is a big problem because I want to pay more attention to the road rather than looking at the screen, and one would think I should be ok as long as I keep some torque on the wheel.
Unfortunately no, because it often stops recognizing wheel input, so I have to constantly look at the screen to make sure it's recognizing my hand on the wheel.

Does anyone know how much time from the "Apply Slight Turning Force to Steering Wheel" message to a forced disengagement/strike?
I'm guessing probably 10-15s
If it's failing to recognize even volume wheel changes, there is a problem with the vehicle. It's either hardware (the steering wheel needs adjustment or replacement), or software (there is a bug in your firmware and you might need the firmware forced back onto the car by service). In either way, you'll need to open a service ticket and have a tech take a look at the car.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
If it's failing to recognize even volume wheel changes, there is a problem with the vehicle. It's either hardware (the steering wheel needs adjustment or replacement), or software (there is a bug in your firmware and you might need the firmware forced back onto the car by service). In either way, you'll need to open a service ticket and have a tech take a look at the car.
Problem is that it's not every time, it's totally random... it will recognize any input (wheel torque, volume, next song, speed change etc.) 9 times out of 10, but occasionally what I described in my previous post will happen.

Also doesn't seem like I'm the only one as I was quoting @Supcom post. He doesn't mention other inputs, but was that attempted?

As with most random problems, it's nearly impossible to troubleshoot if you don't know when it happens.
They would try it a few times, and tell me it's working fine.

In all fairness, occasionally, my car stops recognizing wheel input and start nagging with no amount of tugging effective. I've learned to simply disengage FSD and reengage it. That always clears up the problem. Hard to do that in the middle of a turn though!

Problem is that it's not every time, it's totally random... it will recognize any input (wheel torque, volume, next song, speed change etc.) 9 times out of 10, but occasionally what I described in my previous post will happen.

Also doesn't seem like I'm the only one as I was quoting @Supcom post. He doesn't mention other inputs, but was that attempted?

As with most random problems, it's nearly impossible to troubleshoot if you don't know when it happens.
If it happens, press the voice command button and say "big report". That will save a file that the techs can access to check the car. Note the date and time for the tech.

In my case, when this happens the nag nanny does not recognize radio volume control either, though the radio volume does respond. So, there appears to be nothing wrong with the steering wheel - especially since disabling and re-enabling whatever self-driving mode is active always fixes the problem.

So, no need to write a service ticket. Nothing for a tech to fix.

In my case, when this happens the nag nanny does not recognize radio volume control either, though the radio volume does respond. So, there appears to be nothing wrong with the steering wheel - especially since disabling and re-enabling whatever self-driving mode is active always fixes the problem.

So, no need to write a service ticket. Nothing for a tech to fix.
Same, volume and speed change inputs work, but the nag doesn’t go away.
if I get a strike because of this bug I’m going to be really upset.

Same, volume and speed change inputs work, but the nag doesn’t go away.
if I get a strike because of this bug I’m going to be really upset.
When it happens, immediately push the stalk up to go to manual driving. Then re-engage AP/NOA/FSD and all will be fine. You won't get a strike unless you keep fighting it until the nag gives up on you.

Figured there would be a thread about this. I have been in the FSD Beta program for maybe seven or so months now. Have never gotten a strike for not paying attention. We have Tesla insurance and solid 98-99 safety score. Downloaded 2022.12.3.20, what, maybe two-three weeks ago and have 4 of 5 strikes already. Have no idea why it's happening. Driving down the highway, eyes on the road. at least one hand on the wheel, BAM...flashing red light and strike. Happened to my wife while I was in the passenger seat and we were both perplexed. Pulled over to reset and then it happened to me, seemingly out of the blue. Something seems different with this aspect of the sw/update. The beeps are different, or absent, or timed differently. We're about to get booted, and there's no way we should be.

Why is this happening?? We didn't spontaneously change how we drive, from seven or so months of no strikes to four in a few weeks? That's absurd. The only variable that seems changed is the sw update. Debating whether to email Tesla now and discuss this, or wait until what seems to be the inevitable 5th strike and then appeal?

Figured there would be a thread about this. I have been in the FSD Beta program for maybe seven or so months now. Have never gotten a strike for not paying attention. We have Tesla insurance and solid 98-99 safety score. Downloaded 2022.12.3.20, what, maybe two-three weeks ago and have 4 of 5 strikes already. Have no idea why it's happening. Driving down the highway, eyes on the road. at least one hand on the wheel, BAM...flashing red light and strike. Happened to my wife while I was in the passenger seat and we were both perplexed. Pulled over to reset and then it happened to me, seemingly out of the blue. Something seems different with this aspect of the sw/update. The beeps are different, or absent, or timed differently. We're about to get booted, and there's no way we should be.

Why is this happening?? We didn't spontaneously change how we drive, from seven or so months of no strikes to four in a few weeks? That's absurd. The only variable that seems changed is the sw update. Debating whether to email Tesla now and discuss this, or wait until what seems to be the inevitable 5th strike and then appeal?
Similar experience for me. I had only one (screaming kids caused me to miss the warnings, mea culpa) in all the months of beta. Now on 10.12.2, I have 3 new ones, none of which seemed “normal”. Got one today, looking straight ahead, hand on the wheel, no warning at all. It’s a little nuts.

If it happens, press the voice command button and say "big report". That will save a file that the techs can access to check the car. Note the date and time for the tech.
yes, but a "bug report" does not go immediately to tesla (at least not in current versions). It will only be seen (MAYBE) by the service department when taking it in.

• Informative
Reactions: FlyF4 and Dewg
yes, but a "bug report" does not go immediately to tesla (at least not in current versions). It will only be seen (MAYBE) by the service department when taking it in.
Correct, as I said it's for the service techs. You say "bug report" and it will show the report saved. You then open a ticket for service (mobile or service center) and let the tech know you have a bug report they can examine.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
This thread is interesting because I had a similar experience recently to some of these reports.

My guesses:
1. There is something intentionally written into the algorithm of the driver monitoring that looks to defeat "Ap Buddy" and other Driver monitoring system hacks. Therefore if FSD sees that you have only rolled the volume button up one and then down one each minute for the last 5-10 minutes the driver monitoring system no longer accepts that input.
Likewise, if you weighted the steering wheel and the only wheel torque has been a constant left torque of the wheel at 1 ft lb. the car would ignore the steering input after some amount of time and needs some variety.

2. The driver monitoring system just needs resetting for some reason every so often, due to a software bug.

3. The car loses confidence and somehow the confidence is linked to the driver monitoring system nag frequency. This seems to somewhat make sense as my FSD always beeps at me in the same blind corners over the highway 17 pass, even when I literally just touched the wheel or moved the volume wheel. On some turns it will beep for input multiple times, within 1-2 seconds of the last beep for input while my hand is on the wheel. I basically need to constantly provide input on these turns. Dirty cameras also could lead to a loss of confidence.

There's too much coincidence in these experiences. Post #37 seems to hit close to the mark on likely scenarios. What I've also realized is: I can't easily opt out of the beta can get caught up with everyone else's non-beta software level, (what are they up to, 2022.20.x now?) So we're caught in limbo on 2022.12.3 without the ability to play with FSD beta while also not enjoying updated features like independent streaming profiles and other improvements. Love us or let us go, Elon!

There's too much coincidence in these experiences. Post #37 seems to hit close to the mark on likely scenarios. What I've also realized is: I can't easily opt out of the beta can get caught up with everyone else's non-beta software level, (what are they up to, 2022.20.x now?) So we're caught in limbo on 2022.12.3 without the ability to play with FSD beta while also not enjoying updated features like independent streaming profiles and other improvements. Love us or let us go, Elon!
The new 10.69 is rolling out slowly - it will catch you up to most of the general code. If you absolutely must have the general code, you can send an e-mail to fsdbeta @ tesla.com from the e-mail address associated with your Tesla account asking to be removed from FSD Beta. Send it a few times (2-3 should do it), but don't expect a response. In a few days or possibly a few weeks, your car will suddenly say you have a software update available and it will be the general code version with FSD Beta removed.