Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

False FSD Strikes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For your question about the pre warning:

As I mentioned, I get that blue/white pre warning while on AP (it is actually AS when I engaged it) on the highways.see below the scr shots from the MS owners manual. So, there I have time to react and no red death hands.
As for the flashing lights on my videos, as I mentioned driving on local roads with FSDb there is no AP blue/white warning I stated above. Non existent or not coded for in that stack on FSDb. So I just get the flashing lights with red hands. Also, after 5 such red hand pay attention warning episodes I get a strike. So, I stop FSDb after 4 such incidents.

As for the dusk or dark question:
It was dark last night. Also, few weeks back when I drove to Home Depot (had to drive west going there) it was dusk and no issues with FSDb. However, on my way back (coming east ) it was around 7 pm and was darker and got 4 warnings back to back before I totally disengaged FSDb.

Yep. I have been staying away from using Tesla in the evenings even tho I can use without FSD and drive myself. If I drive myself it gets confused and scream take control immediately for a mistake the car commits. I prefer my Outback and enjoying that ride evenings and nights.
First I have no doubt the software is flawed as you describe.

The above is the first I recall hearing that detail. I had assumed it was going straight to "strike" with no pre-warning. So you get the flashing white thing (isn't that the pre-warning?) and neither steering wheel torque or adjusting the volume spinner cancels it? That's a pretty big deal.

What do you mean by no pre-warning if not the flashing white light?

Is it dark when it fails, as opposed to dusk? I know the newer models should have IR. But if only dark outside, maybe a small interior light (dome light?) being on is enough to let the cabin camera see your pupils? Either that or don't use it at night, at least until they fix this.

Actually sounds like two bugs:

1. Scroll wheel or torque doesn't cancel the flashing light warning, and

2. Getting false warnings/strikes only at night.

Neither should happen.
Here are the scr shots from the my MS owners manual:

Screenshot_20221031-115718.pngScreenshot_20221031-115752.pngScreenshot_20221031-115808.png

You have LEDs or not?

If not yeah probably just broken. Software probably thinks you have them! It would work better if it did not think you had them.

If you have LEDs make sure they work (image them!). You have the yoke so you must have them. Check them! Like checking the oil level on the Outback!
This camera is brand new.
What oil level on my Outback:D:D? Never checked them. 7yrs 70k miles. No issues

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Mine too since new on my '13. Took it to the Steeler - all "normal". 🤔
I think it is normal, actually. Mine had no problems to 150k so apparently not really an actual issue. Just part of the cost of running oil through the turbo or something.

However, for the uninitiated, going between oil changes without topping off could have catastrophic results.

Anyway, for this Tesla strike issue, we just need good camera data so we can actually see what is happening. Ideally imaging the camera and LEDs so we can see them turned on (visible to camera but not to our eyes). And hopefully see back of the driver’s head too.

Again, the situation is that we have no video demonstrating an unwarranted strike. If this is something that is happening, it would be nice to see how it occurs, and would help those struggling with it.

Reactions: bhakan
Just have to have a mount of some sort, and then just always take video.

As I have said before, it would be ground-breaking content - there is not a single video of this type of event published. Incredible click potential.

And it is not just for me. Potentially it would help people getting strikes to figure out what they are doing that is causing them, and adjust accordingly.
I too am getting false FSD disengagements ever since 2022.36.6. When I first saw this thread I had one false disengagement with no prior blue flashing warning. I had no proof, but then it happened on my drive in to work this morning, so I knew on the drive back to jerry rig some sort of film set up so I could provide you with your ground-breaking content. And, of course, it happened again on the drive home. Glad I caught it:

I too am getting false FSD disengagements ever since 2022.36.6. When I first saw this thread I had one false disengagement with no prior blue flashing warning. I had no proof, but then it happened on my drive in to work this morning, so I knew on the drive back to jerry rig some sort of film set up so I could provide you with your ground-breaking content. And, of course, it happened again on the drive home. Glad I caught it:

Hmm, I started getting the false AP/NOA fails (red hands without any previous beep or notification, and lockout for rest of drive) with 2022.36.5 or .2, but with .6 this seems to have disappeared. Furthermore the regular nag frequency/behavior seems to have gone down as well, it's much more pleasant. I used to get frequent blue-stripe nags immediately before NOA wanted to make a lane change, which was very annoying.

I'm not on FSD beta.

Hmm, I started getting the false AP/NOA fails (red hands without any previous beep or notification, and lockout for rest of drive) with 2022.36.5 or .2, but with .6 this seems to have disappeared. Furthermore the regular nag frequency/behavior seems to have gone down as well, it's much more pleasant. I used to get frequent blue-stripe nags immediately before NOA wanted to make a lane change, which was very annoying.

I'm not on FSD beta.
I had 36.5 not even for a day before they pushed me to 36.6 so can't comment on how that version was for me. Don't think I even took a drive with 36.5 to be honest. Prior to that I had 28.2 and no issues with AP/NoA disengagements

This is not FSD Beta.

So no strikes. However presumably hurts your SS (did it?).

In your case you’d have to show more context. Not sure what happened.

For these issues, a 30-second (or 12-second!) snippet will not suffice.
Oops sorry, looks like I have my terminology wrong. Still relatively new. Here's an extended clip (ignore me talking to myself, I specifically didn't have music playing since I was recording looking out for autopilot disengage and driving in silence gets boring lol), FYI I have speed based lane changes off and auto lane change set so I have to confirm any lane changes. Right before the false engage, I engaged lane change out of passing lane:

I had 36.5 not even for a day before they pushed me to 36.6 so can't comment on how that version was for me. Don't think I even took a drive with 36.5 to be honest. Prior to that I had 28.2 and no issues with AP/NoA disengagements

Oops sorry, looks like I have my terminology wrong. Still relatively new. Here's an extended clip (ignore me talking to myself, I specifically didn't have music playing since I was recording looking out for autopilot disengage and driving in silence gets boring lol), FYI I have speed based lane changes off and auto lane change set so I have to confirm any lane changes. Right before the false engage, I engaged lane change out of passing lane:

Did you get a forced disengagement on your safety score then?

If not, just a malfunction/bug. (And if so, a malfunction/bug with consequences.)

I don’t know the full sequence of nags required to force a disengagement with regular FSD, or whether warnings are given for not watching the road (I assume so).

I get the red steering wheel and disengagement from time to time (different message though, and not disabled unless exceeding limit), but no strikes of course.

I think I have encountered similar situations. You initiated a lane change just before you encountered a right hand merge in. The car slowed down from 65 to 60 anticipating the upcoming merge. Don't know what NoA do not like, maybe on speed. Red wheel disengagement.

I have learned to keep to the left lane away from the right hand merge in or to brake disengage just before that to avoid this Red wheel.

Did you get a forced disengagement on your safety score then?

If not, just a malfunction/bug. (And if so, a malfunction/bug with consequences.)

I don’t know the full sequence of nags required to force a disengagement with regular FSD, or whether warnings are given for not watching the road (I assume so).

I get the red steering wheel and disengagement from time to time (different message though, and not disabled unless exceeding limit), but no strikes of course.
So my overall Safety Score doesn't seem to have gone down (yet), not sure if it will later or not, but I do see my forced disengagements go up to 3:

IMG_1449.PNG

I think I have encountered similar situations. You initiated a lane change just before you encountered a right hand merge in. The car slowed down from 65 to 60 anticipating the upcoming merge. Don't know what NoA do not like, maybe on speed. Red wheel disengagement.

I have learned to keep to the left lane away from the right hand merge in or to brake disengage just before that to avoid this Red wheel.

A little more context (you can see this in the extended clip), before initiating the lane change to the right lane, I saw someone coming in my rear view at a much faster speed than mine. Now, my set cruise control was 70mph at the time but I was only going 65mph because of the vehicle in front of me. Looking into the right lane, I saw there was quite a bit of open runway, so I decided to change lanes so that the car behind me could inevitably ride the a*s of the vehicle in front of me. Right after the lane change completed, I manually set my speed limit down to 65 (my current speed) so that my car wouldnt speed up to 70mph (my previous cruise limit) and look like I was trying to overtake in the right hand lane.

Now I'm not sure if my vehicle slowed down to 60mph due to the merge, since it wasn't trying to take that exit, but I do believe it slowed down to 60mph due to a car you can see that was not traveling as fast ahead of me (in the right lane) that I was quickly approaching. I've never had an issue in the past going ~70mph and then approaching mild congestion or even complete stop and go traffic, so I'm not really sure what changed besides the version of software.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
but I do see my forced disengagements go up to 3
Yeah, seems bad, and legit. That sucks (as I said, no idea whether/how the car warns about paying attention (cabin camera) when using regular FSD). Definitely should get some warnings.

And if release version of FSD Beta uses the same AP stack...seems like the same thing could happen.

Excellent content.

Reactions: TenKOhms
Yeah, seems bad, and legit. That sucks (as I said, no idea whether/how the car warns about paying attention (cabin camera) when using regular FSD). Definitely should get some warnings.

And if release version of FSD Beta uses the same AP stack...seems like the same thing could happen.

Excellent content.

Interesting you mention cabin camera. I saw a post recently about service mode, so out of curiosity, I entered it myself. I noticed whenever I went into service mode, I would get an error about the cabin camera, which I made a post about here:

Also somewhat related is this post:

That being said, I'm not sure why I've never had this issue prior to 2022.36.6. I almost always use AP on the way to work, which is 90 miles round trip per day. Even on 36.6 I dont get the disengagement immediately, probably do about 35-40 miles each time on AP before these two most recent disengagements.

When I originally put a service request in for that cabin selfie error, I got a quote back for a $0 cabin camera replacement, but at the time since I didn't think it affected anything, I canceled the appointment. In case it is somehow related to this disengagement issue, I put in another service request just now to hopefully get the camera replaced.

Interesting you mention cabin camera.
Not really that interesting! It is a key part of the system!

Seems like a real problem. I would get to the bottom of this. It may well be the cause of the issues (though it could be a software issue not a hardware issue exactly).

Others with issues should probably at least look at service mode to see if anything is hiding.

Anyway report back when this is completely cleared.

Surprised you were able to use it with camera covered…though not Beta so maybe it allows it, do not keep track. Can you still toggle off use of the cabin camera?

Got my third Strike this evening. Now I have 3 out of 5. This happened during dusk when it was starting to get darker out as there was light when I started to drive. Boom! Within few secs back to back warnings and yoke/steering wheel disengagement did nothing. Holiday grocery store shopping crowd and applying brake in that traffic would be bad. So I decided to use yoke for disengagement. Tesla recently installed new Interior camera and Triple camera. I do a have a functioning IR illuminators. So, I have to use my Outback in the evenings instead of this useless car. Totally sucks.

Anyone else getting FSD strikes (AP disabled for rest of drive) with no warning on 10.69.3.1 ?

This morning I received an FSD strike while on the highway with no warning for hand on wheel at all.

My hand was on the wheel and the car had just completed a lane change on the highway, which can only occur if it is either driver initiated or driver confirmed.

Just two days ago I had a similar strike (but with no lane change) my hand was on the wheel and suddenly received a disengagement which I am pretty sure occurred with no warning.
I thought that maybe my pressure on the wheel was too light and maybe for some reason I missed the warning, so although upset I dismissed it… But now that it happened again today, with definitely no visual or audible warning and after a confirmed lane change, I am very sure that the strike 2 days ago was also bogus for sure. It was out of nowhere without a warning.

Both of these were on the highway, and not on FSD beta.

Today strike was absolutely bogus, especially because I had just confirmed the lane change just a couple of seconds before that, I am more than 100% sure.

I have had FSD beta since 6/4, and in the past 6 months I never had a single strike, and suddenly I receive 2 strikes within 3 days, and without a warning.

Now I am afraid to use it, the strikes I received had absolutely no warning, there is no way I could have avided them.

I issued a bug report and wrote to service to review my telemetry, but I am pretty sure they will not care.

Anyone else getting FSD strikes (AP disabled for rest of drive) with no warning on 10.69.3.1 ?

This morning I received an FSD strike while on the highway with no warning for hand on wheel at all.

My hand was on the wheel and the car had just completed a lane change on the highway, which can only occur if it is either driver initiated or driver confirmed.

Just two days ago I had a similar strike (but with no lane change) my hand was on the wheel and suddenly received a disengagement which I am pretty sure occurred with no warning.
I thought that maybe my pressure on the wheel was too light and maybe for some reason I missed the warning, so although upset I dismissed it… But now that it happened again today, with definitely no visual or audible warning and after a confirmed lane change, I am very sure that the strike 2 days ago was also bogus for sure. It was out of nowhere without a warning.

Today strike was absolutely bogus, especially because I had just confirmed the lane change just a couple of seconds before that, I am more than 100% sure.

I have had FSD beta since 6/4, and in the past 6 months I never had a single strike, and suddenly I receive 2 strikes within 3 days, and without a warning.

Now I am afraid to use it, the strikes I received had absolutely no warning, there is no way I could have avided them.

I issued a bug report and wrote to service to review my telemetry, but I am pretty sure they will not care.
As I have posted above I got 3 total which were on FSDb but I am concerned that I will get on the AP stack too especially if it is single stack. I have this expensive car that I cannot drive much as using without AP is not that great either as it screams "take control immediately" for no reason. Sad

I am not on FSDb but I also had a number of false autosteer lockouts (big red hands and wheel penalty) with the 36.X software branch, which is what the current FSDb is on. I have found 40.X to be much better on that matter.