Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

false green light chime at the traffic light

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s only dangerous if you don’t pay attention. Would you really drive through a red light just because you heard the chime?
With FSD-on-city-streets, that's more-or-less what happens. I'm on that beta, and something like what @Mashina reported happened to me a week or two ago, only I was in the left-turn lane and the straight-ahead lane's light turned green while mine remained red. The car proceeded to start moving forward (as it should have when the light changed, but of course it had not -- at least, not for my left-turn lane). Fortunately, I was alert enough to stop the car before it moved very far, so no harm was done. Tesla warns that the FSD-on-city-streets functionality requires constant driver attention, and they aren't kidding about that; drivers should be alert, even when the car is stopped at a light.

Reactions: jgleigh
With FSD-on-city-streets, that's more-or-less what happens. I'm on that beta, and something like what @Mashina reported happened to me a week or two ago, only I was in the left-turn lane and the straight-ahead lane's light turned green while mine remained red. The car proceeded to start moving forward (as it should have when the light changed, but of course it had not -- at least, not for my left-turn lane). Fortunately, I was alert enough to stop the car before it moved very far, so no harm was done. Tesla warns that the FSD-on-city-streets functionality requires constant driver attention, and they aren't kidding about that; drivers should be alert, even when the car is stopped at a light.
But the chime is there for people driving manually, in which case you need to pay attention. I believe when the chime is working correctly, it will sound even if you're not the first car in line when the light turns green, so you still have to look where you're going to avoid rear ending the person in front who's texting instead of paying attention to the light (they're the ones who need the chime).