Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

False Information: Tesla Admits It Still Hasn't Completed A Model 3 Beta Prototype

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That headline is accurate. The 10-K clearly states that the beta prototype hasn't been selected and unless a beta has been selected, there are no beta prototypes being built. Tesla may well end up selecting a car as the beta that has yet to be built as a prototype. Zerohedge may have hyped their spin on the disclosure, but what they are reporting is in fact what was disclosed.

OK, now you are starting to parse and/or spin things. The headline reads:

"Tesla Admits It Still Hasn't Completed A Model 3 Beta Prototype"

It's written in the present tense in the month of March, and uses the word "admits". Now you are using the word "select" which doesn't even appear in the article.

Here's a quote where it's clear that they are including the timeframe past 12/31/16 in their article:

We know that around mid-February 2017, Tesla is said to have started building the next stage of Model 3 prototypes. It is from this batch that they appear to be creating the first “beta prototype.”

So please provide a quote where Tesla "admits" any such thing in as of the 3/2/17 article date.

Last edited:
I don't know, I am getting a second thought about M3, I'm not sure how can tesla put a reliable car on the market in four months without doing proper testing. I reserved my M3 on April 4th 2016 and I might cancel the reservation just because we don't see any evidence of M3 being tested.
We should have part 3 by now and see what the inside would look like, but we have no idea and that's what is making me feel like there is a problem or uncertainty.
Also, there might be a problem getting our money back if Tesla goes bankrupt.
What do you guys think??

I think you are on to something here maybe you go first and cancel, we will follow your steps ... later ;)

Reactions: MTL_HABS1909
Accurate or not it's misleading (purposefully? given the "admit" word choice, which implies fault/guilt), especially given the article text doesn't clarify. I would argue a more accurate headline would be: "Tesla board still hasn't named an eligible beta prototype". That's why when @Snow Drift put the direct quote, the exact situation suddenly became much more clear. The headline and article leads people to believe Tesla haven't been building any prototypes that can be considered beta (by industry vernacular), when they certainly have.

Because we're dancing on the head of a pin with this, and because I totally agree that Zerohedge plays with words to spin stories to their own agenda, I will concede the point. I was not focusing on the title of the story as much as I was on the underlying facts and those who are taking issue with what the story implies, have a very valid point. I didn't mean to defend Zerohedge, as I loathe it. As a factual matter, I definitely believe that it's fair to say that there is not yet a confirmed beta prototype as far as we know and as far as Tesla has disclosed, but obviously that wasn't what Zerohedge was getting at. I see the point people are making that the entirety of Zerohedge's story may be misleading.

Is there any predictability to the timing of a SEC filing after beta 3 prototype milestone completion?
It would depend on whether the company considered it to be material event. If it did, it would have to file an 8-K disclosing the event within 4 days of it occurring.

Because certain compensatory triggers are tied to this milestone, it may turn it into a reportable event, but I suspect that in general, Tesla doesn't file 8-Ks when it produces beta prototypes.

I have changed the title on the thread, starting with "False Information".

Latest filing, and I quote: "In early February, we began building Model 3 prototypes"

I won't beat this dead horse into another dimension of non-existence, but that wasn't in a filing with the SEC and it doesn't say that they are building beta prototypes. It's an important distinction since they are not saying that these prototypes are betas, and the 10-K, which is the last SEC filing with disclosure on this topic, says that the beta hasn't been designated yet. So like I said earlier, I think that the Zerohedge article does indeed have a misleading title, but from my perspective as a securities lawyer, I wouldn't say that the headline is false per se. I know this distinction will drive non-lawyers nuts, and I promise to not mention it again, but I had to end my commentary on this topic with this explanation.

Wow...I am just so glad there are other forums out there that choose to take a more wait and see attitude rather than all the short sellers and doubters automatically assuming that the sky is falling. By all means, cancel your reservation. Just puts the rest of us one car closer to delivery.

Dan
No sky is not falling, but I'm sure you would agree that not having part 3 by now and not seeing even one picture of the final design is worrisome. I think the stock is reacting same way.

• Disagree
Reactions: MTL_HABS1909
I won't beat this dead horse into another dimension of non-existence, but that wasn't in a filing with the SEC and it doesn't say that they are building beta prototypes. It's an important distinction since they are not saying that these prototypes are betas, and the 10-K, which is the last SEC filing with disclosure on this topic, says that the beta hasn't been designated yet. So like I said earlier, I think that the Zerohedge article does indeed have a misleading title, but from my perspective as a securities lawyer, I wouldn't say that the headline is false per se. I know this distinction will drive non-lawyers nuts, and I promise to not mention it again, but I had to end my commentary on this topic with this explanation.

This isn't a court of law, and the misleading title is click-bait.

"Beta" is an arbitrary distinction, and has largely lost its meaning by inconsistent use. They're building prototypes, period. That's the information that matters re the title of this thread.

Reactions: ecarfan
No sky is not falling, but I'm sure you would agree that not having part 3 by now and not seeing even one picture of the final design is worrisome. I think the stock is reacting same way.
Keep in mind that, in this day and age, a picture isn't necessarily worth a thousand words. They could easily Photoshop pictures of a final design (especially of the interior), but would that make it any more "real" or closer to fruition? Maybe the reason they're not showing anything yet is because they don't want to show anything yet? Does the fact that Apple doesn't reveal upcoming devices prior to announcement likewise mean they hadn't been working on them ahead of time? On the other hand, Faraday Future shows off lots of renderings of their car and videos of earth-movers pushing dirt in North Las Vegas, but does that make their car any more real or closer to production?

Last edited:
Why is it worrying that there's not one picture, or Part 3 by now? There were 0 pictures leaked before the Part 1 reveal. It makes sense that they don't have Part 3 before they make the Beta models. Processes have to be tweaked, tests done, and confirmation that the parts all go together properly.

Why are you sure we will agree? I did expect pictures of the final design 'in the spring' but that has been rolled back for reasons known only to Tesla. Unless you think that 'pencils down' last June was a complete lie, and they are many months behind schedule, despite what they are saying in SEC documents, I don't see the worry. Stock prices have more to do with whether people believe the fear-mongering. Half the people who trade a stock are wrong about which way it is going.

Thank you kindly.

I have changed the title on the thread, starting with "False Information".

Latest filing, and I quote: "In early February, we began building Model 3 prototypes"
I've already read as much of this thread as I care to but the new title suggested to me just the opposite of your intention.

I thought it meant that Tesla is redacting prior information of having a beta prototype.

Perhaps "Blog Zerohedge publishes Fake News re: Absence of Tesla Model 3 Prototype."