Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

False lane departure warning when exiting parking spot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I almost always back into my parking spot with my Model Y. I've noticed in the recent software update that was performed (2022.12.1). If I am pulling out of my spot and no cars parked besides me on my left and right, my car thinks I am departing my lane and will sound the warning alarm. I think this is because it thinks the parking space lines are lanes and I am crossing the lines as I leave. Has anybody experienced something like this before? I suppose, I can try to take a wider turn as I pull out of the spot but I would think the Lane departure system is deactivated at low speeds.

I almost always back into my parking spot with my Model Y. I've noticed in the recent software update that was performed (2022.12.1). If I am pulling out of my spot and no cars parked besides me on my left and right, my car thinks I am departing my lane and will sound the warning alarm. I think this is because it thinks the parking space lines are lanes and I am crossing the lines as I leave. Has anybody experienced something like this before? I suppose, I can try to take a wider turn as I pull out of the spot but I would think the Lane departure system is deactivated at low speeds.
Try using your turn signal to see if that stops the warning.

Per the Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual - Lane Departure Avoidance does not warn you of lane departures, or provide steering interventions, if the associated turn signal is on, which indicates an intentional lane change.

It could be something else because Lane Departure Avoidance only operates when driving between 40 and 90 mph (64 and 145km/h) on roads with clearly visible lane markings.

You can choose if and how you want Lane Departure Warning to operate by touching Controls > Autopilot > Lane Departure Avoidance and selecting between these options:

OFF: You are not warned of lane departures or potential collisions with a vehicle in an adjacent lane.

WARNING: If a front wheel passes over a lane marking, the steering wheel vibrates.

ASSIST: Corrective steering is applied to keep Model Y in a safe position if Model Y drifts into an adjacent lane or near the edge of the road.

Pretty often when I'm slowly driving down my gravel driveway, my MY screams at me and says something about corrective steering action taken. I forget the exact wording, and it never feels like any corrective action was really done. I guess I need to paint lines in the gravel? 🙃