Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

False Positive Automatic Emergency Braking at 80mph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While driving 80mph on a highway and my lane was clear of traffic in front of me. However, traffic visualization displayed a small sedan in front of my car, adjacent to the semi I was passing. As I approached closer to the false car, automatic emergency braking suddenly engaged and slowed me down to a near complete stop. There was a shiny reflection from the semi that was projecting into my lane, right at the spot where the false car was displayed. I've included a video of the incident below. Is there a way to submit this video and data to Tesla to help prevent this from happening in the future?

I have another very similar video of me passing a semi with an even brighter reflection projecting into the lane in front of me, and automatic emergency braking was not engaged. Video proof can be shared on request. What was special about this false positive braking incident (much more severe and scary than phantom braking)? Can I do anything to disengage false automatic braking while its happening? I don't want to disable it in settings because it has worked great in actual cases besides this.

If you press them button on the steering wheel and say "bug report" it will create a record of the event and the vehicle configuration at that point. This is very helpful for the team to look at the video and car dynamics which contribute to issues. Hope that helps

Another data point here:
I was driving 73 MPH at night, no moon, clear skies, on a clear freeway, nothing ahead of me, autopilot lane following engaged (no FSD) and all of a sudden the brakes were applied hard and my instinctive and instant reaction was to tap the brakes. We slowed from 73 to 68 but disengaging the autopilot seemed to stop the braking.
Engaged autopilot again but no lane following this time and there were several instances of minor braking but nothing like the first time.
Side note: after the first braking incident, I started getting a warning message the the left fender camera was blocked. This became a "phantom" message in that it would appear for a few seconds and disappear randomly. Oddly, it seemed that if I applied the brakes, the message went away, accelerate and the message came back. I cleaned the camera but the message persisted. When it did appear, I put on my left turn signal and the image was fine. Soooo... defective camera? Maybe that camera *thought* it saw something approaching and applied the brakes?
There did not, however, seem to be any correlation between the camera messages and braking events. Whatever it is, it's bad juju.

No, all four items will override AEB.

More importantly hitting the accelerator will override Phantom braking.
yea, that is what I do. Whenever something like that happens (rarely for me), I simply press accelerator while I disengage AP.
OP, I have heard of ghosts traveling up and down the interstate in your area. Your car is smarter than you think. It doesn't want to run over the dead :oops::eek:

Driving 60mph MANUAL no auto as its rubbish, bang no alarms or red on the screen only a green emergency brake. going down a country road and down turning up hill possibly a shadow in the road.
Hurt back with the force.
Now lucky no one behind, wet or ice.
Not happy and disconcerting. had alarms and some interfearence for no or little reason as UK country roads are little narrow.
Will be taking it off tonight

Driving 60mph MANUAL no auto as its rubbish, bang no alarms or red on the screen only a green emergency brake. going down a country road and down turning up hill possibly a shadow in the road.
Hurt back with the force.
Now lucky no one behind, wet or ice.
Not happy and disconcerting. had alarms and some interfearence for no or little reason as UK country roads are little narrow.
Will be taking it off tonight
As I understand it you can't simple disable AEB as it renables on the next drive.

So you have to disable it every single drive.

Tesla hit with proposed class action over phantom braking issue​

Its not done it again and it was shocking and good job it was dry and no one behind me.

I cant se any issue on my video other than the road I was on changed from down to up and something may be on the road like a spill.

It also keeps on alarming on auto steer no your picking up lines in the road from tyres as not all uk roads have a clear white lines. God knows when it snows.

New MYLR owner here without FSD, had my first phantom braking event. I was going about 75 mph in the HOV lane with no one ahead or around me. Double line next to me and barrier to the left. Suddenly car braked and slowed us down to around 45-50 mph. Scared my passengers and a truck that was following me with ample distance that he switched lanes. It happened very fast but I did not catch anything on the screen. I remembered from this forum to take control and start accelerating to stop the braking.

We just returned from our new MYP's maiden voyage, a 2K trip from southern IL to southern MD. For the most part of the trip, I was pleasantly surprised by how well RADARLESS AP behaved, until the last 200 miles of the trip heading home yesterday. We were on I-64 just east of Evansville IN with just our car and two well in front of us by maybe 200 feet (both cars were fading IN/OUT of the camera's view when WITHOUT WARNING THE CAR SLOWED so aggressively it felt like an emergency stop and we dropped from 78 MPH to about 45. It was the most aggressive braking I have ever experienced in 26 months of Tesla ownership. Had there been a car behind me I'm sure he would have rear-ended us. It was clear, with partly cloudy skies, and not being blinded by the sun as we were traveling NW at that point.

My wife was dozing and this scared that crap out of her. She asked I not use TACC/AP again.

Does the car automatically send a BUG REPORT to Tesla? That was dangerous and shakes my confidence in AP.

We just returned from our new MYP's maiden voyage, a 2K trip from southern IL to southern MD. For the most part of the trip, I was pleasantly surprised by how well RADARLESS AP behaved, until the last 200 miles of the trip heading home yesterday. We were on I-64 just east of Evansville IN with just our car and two well in front of us by maybe 200 feet (both cars were fading IN/OUT of the camera's view when WITHOUT WARNING THE CAR SLOWED so aggressively it felt like an emergency stop and we dropped from 78 MPH to about 45. It was the most aggressive braking I have ever experienced in 26 months of Tesla ownership. Had there been a car behind me I'm sure he would have rear-ended us. It was clear, with partly cloudy skies, and not being blinded by the sun as we were traveling NW at that point.

My wife was dozing and this scared that crap out of her. She asked I not use TACC/AP again.

Does the car automatically send a BUG REPORT to Tesla? That was dangerous and shakes my confidence in AP.
I have an infiniti with Intelligent CC and a Mach E with Blue Cruise. I have never experienced this in those cars. It is strange and unnerving for sure, but will not deter me from using the AP for the time being. I will be watching closely to see when Tesla is going to implement a fix for it. AP in Tesla is miles ahead of Ford's blue cruise even without FSD. Mach E will disengage cruise for no apparant reason, but it will flash a warning saying resume control and no sudden braking etc. Sometime it will flash Crash possible sign and start countdown to EAB if there is a car in front of you slowing down and turning and you do not slow down. But it gives you enough time to react. Tesla was unprovoked or no aparant reason going on a highway on a clear bright sunny day!

Another data point here:
I was driving 73 MPH at night, no moon, clear skies, on a clear freeway, nothing ahead of me, autopilot lane following engaged (no FSD) and all of a sudden the brakes were applied hard and my instinctive and instant reaction was to tap the brakes. We slowed from 73 to 68 but disengaging the autopilot seemed to stop the braking.
Engaged autopilot again but no lane following this time and there were several instances of minor braking but nothing like the first time.
Side note: after the first braking incident, I started getting a warning message the the left fender camera was blocked. This became a "phantom" message in that it would appear for a few seconds and disappear randomly. Oddly, it seemed that if I applied the brakes, the message went away, accelerate and the message came back. I cleaned the camera but the message persisted. When it did appear, I put on my left turn signal and the image was fine. Soooo... defective camera? Maybe that camera *thought* it saw something approaching and applied the brakes?
There did not, however, seem to be any correlation between the camera messages and braking events. Whatever it is, it's bad juju.
This is exactly the same incident that happened to me. It was at night, around 1:00 AM, on a 3 lane highway with no traffic. I was on a stretch of highway with very mild curves but was basically straight and flat, with not hills or dips. Preceding, as well as, during the PB incident *my left camera* displayed an alert indicating it was blocked but there was nothing obstructing the camera. The right side camera did not display any alerts.

This is exactly the same incident that happened to me. It was at night, around 1:00 AM, on a 3 lane highway with no traffic. I was on a stretch of highway with very mild curves but was basically straight and flat, with not hills or dips. Preceding, as well as, during the PB incident *my left camera* displayed an alert indicating it was blocked but there was nothing obstructing the camera. The right side camera did not display any alerts.
I had my left fender camera replaced and have not had any more "blinded camera" warnings

Hi alll, the worst part about the AEB for me is that you can't permanently disable it. Each time you drive, you have to go into the Autopilot settings and turn it off. It's easy to forget. We live in a rural area with lots of two-laners. The least Tesla could do if the system is often giving false positives is to allow us to disable it and leave it off. Elon, are you listening??

My advice is report the incident to the NHTSA. We sold our Tesla M3 because TACC was dangerous after owning it for 17 months. Initially phantom braking was a regular occurrence then it improved a bit but with “ vision only” it got much worse.

Our diesel Civic has ACC and does none of the scary braking that the Tesla did, so some companies make driver aids that actually work.