Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

False positive ultrasonic sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Never noticed this before a couple of weeks ago, but I now get false positive sensor readings on my driver side to "red" arcs (ie. something supposedly very close) when there is nothing there.

Clearly, this is fine when AP is not activated, but when it is it causes the car to drift all the way to the right and sometimes crosses the right lane marking.

The car is not dirty. I have wiped the sensor areas down and it still occurs.

Anyone experience this?

Ack, wrong forum - can someone move to Driving Dynamics?

I saw a post a while ago that suggested that loud sounds can cause false readings and I actually experienced it myself the other night when a particularly loud motorcycle passed me... I got red blips on the dash as the bike drove past, even though it was several feet away.

I've also heard that false readings can occur from ultrasonic sensors on other cars as well, but I don't think I've experienced this issue.

Is it happening when there are other cars nearby that could be causing the false readings or is there nothing there at all? If there is nothing there at all then it seems like a trip to the service center might be in order.