Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FALSE RUMOR: Founders list might be getting bigger. (GeorgeB responds)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Discoducky

P100DL, 2021 M3, 4 CT reservations and counting
Supporting Member
Dec 25, 2011
My mountain
I have some good news and bad news.

Good news is that interest in the Model S is crazy from people with lots of money who are being added to the Founders list.

Bad news is that these people are apparently getting ahead of even SSL reservation holders and the Founders list has apparently ballooned to over 200.

Not sure if this is totally correct information, but I believe it is. I'm bummed since I heard from an early SSL that their delivery date has been pushed to late August/early September. There was no mention if less than 5K would be "produced" this year.

Mod Note: GeorgeB has put this to rest:

Completely inaccurate rumor. We would never do this to those who have supported us as long-term Model S Reservation Holders. Never.

GeorgeB

Last edited by a moderator:

Good news is that interest in the Model S is crazy from people with lots of money who are being added to the Founders list.

Bad news is that these people are apparently getting ahead of even SSL reservation holders and the Founders list has apparently ballooned to over 200.

Not sure if this is totally correct information, but I believe it is. I'm bummed since I heard from an early SSL that their delivery date has been pushed to late August/early September. There was no mention if less than 5K would be "produced" this year.

That would be bad news indeed. Can you ask your "early SSL friend" to post here to confirm what he/she was told?

Oh well hopefully these founders will be the guinea pigs for those of us who were concerned about defects in early S'. I hope we hear some solid news from Tesla soon, heck I would be pleased if my reservation showed an updated status.

So, assuming that maybe this isn't the case, let's revisit ...

• Early SSL was promised mid-July, now told late August/early September. That's approx a 40-60 day delay
  • George B posts that they are making a couple of changes in the cars ( carbon fiber details, alignment issues and open shelf), from info learned with early cars
  • Tesla has said they would start with 1 car/day and ramp up from there

Honestly? Late August/early September sounds about right, considering the days delayed, the changes being made, and the slow ramp. Was your friend specifically told there were more Founders Cars to be made? Or is that an assumption regarding the delay?

• Early SSL was promised mid-July, now told late August/early September. That's approx a 40-60 day delay
  • George B posts that they are making a couple of changes in the cars ( carbon fiber details, alignment issues and open shelf), from info learned with early cars

Honestly? Late August/early September sounds about right, considering the days delayed, the changes being made, and the slow ramp. Was your friend specifically told there were more Founders Cars to be made? Or is that an assumption regarding the delay?

Specifically told

Specifically told

Based on the facts we already know, then if there were 200 more Founder cars, he should expect a MUCH later date than late August/early September.

------------ I'm doubtful because while all the forum talk was going on over center console|alignment|we want this, too, I kept thinking 'well, that will delay deliveries, do they really want that?' And now we have at least three changes to the vehicles and the modest delay of 40-60 days seems right in line with the nature of the changes.

To be clear, I'm not doubting your friend was told that. I'm doubting that the person who said it actually KNEW.

If this is true - making more Founder's cars to satisfy some crazy rich people - once again Tesla is screwing the Signatures Series owners. In producing more Founder's series cars, it is diluting the value of plunking down a significant deposit to have one of the first 1,000 cars and is basically allowing people to cut in line.

Look I'm a businessman, and I get the motive of maximizing profit and getting more sales, but it just seems like many decisions Tesla makes justified or not, is at the expense of the Signature Series. As a Signature Reservation Holder, if this is true, it is disheartening and frustrating.

I hope this is all just a misunderstanding and isn't actually happening.

I didn't see where George mentioned alignment issues (I assume you mean body panel fit, right?). Did I miss it or did you hear this from somebody else?

Thanks!

If this is true - making more Founder's cars to satisfy some crazy rich people - once again Tesla is screwing the Signatures Series owners. In producing more Founder's series cars, it is diluting the value of plunking down a significant deposit to have one of the first 1,000 cars and is basically allowing people to cut in line.

Look I'm a businessman, and I get the motive of maximizing profit and getting more sales, but it just seems like many decisions Tesla makes justified or not, is at the expense of the Signature Series. As a Signature Reservation Holder, if this is true, it is disheartening and frustrating.

I hope this is all just a misunderstanding and isn't actually happening.

Tesla allowed SSL reservation holders to cut in line....I see no difference between that and being an investor and having the ability to cut in line. The biggest problem to me is not the "cutting in line" part but rather there was no cut-off date for being able to "cut in line" for investors (founders).

Tesla allowed SSL reservation holders to cut in line....I see no difference between that and being an investor and having the ability to cut in line. The biggest problem to me is not the "cutting in line" part but rather there was no cut-off date for being able to "cut in line" for investors (founders).
The dilution part is what bothers me. SSL is a part of the Sig regional limit. Founder's is not. This I find disheartening.

The cut in line is not something I expect from Tesla, but doesn't surprise me for a company not in the black yet.

Correct. Plenty of us plunked down cash years ago and put faith in Tesla. Now, Tesla is buzzing and people wanna rush forward and hop on the bandwagon? Fine, but send them out AFTER sigs go out.

...This is all assuming the hearsay is true of course. Somehow I can't bring myself to believe Tesla would push back those who had been waiting faithfully in order to please these late-comers. Say it ain't so.

Correct. Plenty of us plunked down cash years ago and put faith in Tesla. Now, Tesla is buzzing and people wanna rush forward and hop on the bandwagon? Fine, but send them out AFTER sigs go out.

...This is all assuming the hearsay is true of course. Somehow I can't bring myself to believe Tesla would push back those who had been waiting faithfully in order to please these late-comers. Say it ain't so.
If Tesla was charging them double ($250k for fully-configured Signature Perf), I'd be more okay with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.