Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FALSE RUMOR: Founders list might be getting bigger. (GeorgeB responds)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't see where George mentioned alignment issues (I assume you mean body panel fit, right?). Did I miss it or did you hear this from somebody else?

Thanks!

In fairness, he didn't specifically say that in his blog post. I guess I interpreted what he wrote to mean 'fixing the minor issues we've seen in the cars'.

Even if that were not the case, 40-60 days to update the dash with the open shelf and build stock on the non-cf parts seems reasonable to me. But I'm sure tolerances would have gotten adjusted to deal with any noted alignment issues. And that would require a validation run. And and and.

If Tesla was charging them double ($250k for fully-configured Signature Perf), I'd be more okay with it.

Still not acceptable. If Tesla is allowing new orders for Founders series cars, it is just wrong.

In another thread there is some speculation that because some people have Sig #s in the 1,200s Tesla is making more than 1,000 Sigs. I don't know if I believe it, but if they are correct and Tesla is making these new Founders orders, I see a potential law suit in the future. Tesla needs to be very careful with this.

Ugh. People are going off the deep end here because someone was told by someone that something might be true.

Maybe it IS true. Maybe it isn't. How about we not react until we know the facts from an official source.

(Nothing personal to Tesla employees, but I've been told a number of conflicting things by a variety of people. Let's wait for confirmation.)

Ugh. People are going off the deep end here because someone was told by someone that something might be true.

Maybe it IS true. Maybe it isn't. How about we not react until we know the facts from an official source.

(Nothing personal to Tesla employees, but I've been told a number of conflicting things by a variety of people. Let's wait for confirmation.)

We need another Tesla blog entry

Attachments

• shortcircuitcopy-1.jpg
    shortcircuitcopy-1.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 487

To be fair, I put a lot of "if" statements in my posts. So I don't think I'm going over the deep end. And as a Sig owner, I feel like I've been disappointed by Tesla before, so these allegations, if true, are disturbing because it is a pattern of disregard for Signature Series owners.

And if Tesla is indeed adding new orders to the Founders series, I don't think Tesla employees are going to verify whether it is actually happening or not. Seems like opening up a can of worms or even worse, a lawsuit. I can see Tesla management hushing it up real soon.

Yeah, maybe a little gentle reassurance from our good buddy GeorgeB?

Then again, he shouldn't need to respond to every bit of hearsay.

To be fair, I put a lot of "if" statements in my posts. So I don't think I'm going over the deep end. And as a Sig owner, I feel like I've been disappointed by Tesla before, so these allegations, if true, are disturbing because it is a pattern of disregard for Signature Series owners.

And if Tesla is indeed adding new orders to the Founders series, I don't think Tesla employees are going to verify whether it is actually happening or not. Seems like opening up a can of worms or even worse, a lawsuit. I can see Tesla management hushing it up real soon.

And the moon landing was shot on a Hollywood movie set;)

As a follow up. I have seen posts indicating quite a few non-signature holders got their emails to choose their options. I doubt that would be happening if 100 or so more founders had been thrown into the mix.

I'll get disappointed when this speculation actually happens. Why give myself stress through 'a friend of a friend of a friend said...'.

As a follow up. I have seen posts indicating quite a few non-signature holders got their emails to choose their options. I doubt that would be happening if 100 or so more founders had been thrown into the mix.

I'll get disappointed when this speculation actually happens. Why give myself stress through 'a friend of a friend of a friend said...'.

Agreed - In another thread Nigel posted he would have to complete paperwork ASAP regarding a spoiler b/c his vehicle was "just about to enter production". I am not sure what his # is, but I didn't think he was a founder (and I apologize in advance if he is).

So either the rep that talked to Nigel was wrong, or the rep that told the early SSL about extra founders causing the delay was wrong. Bonnie is correct in that a lot of times the info from certain reps has varied.

We need another Tesla blog entry

^^ Whole thing seems sketchy to me. Folks are combining rumor with unsupported assumptions.

We know, from multiple reports reliably sourced to Tesla employees that the production "ramp up" is going slower than planned.

I am not aware of evidence that Tesla has delivered ANY cars to customers, other than the 10 delivered at the Freemont event.

Troy Wolverton, of Mercury News fame, just reported that NO cars have been delivered since, and I am inclined to believe him.

Wolverton: Tesla's new Model S luxury sedan is a sweet ride - Inside Bay Area

We know that Tesla is working frantically to address issues developed as a result of customer feedback (such as opportunity consoles) in these very forums, and it should be obvious that Tesla has been gathering a ton of real world data and feedback with the Get Amped tour. None of these look to be a big deal, and most seem to involve aesthetics and other minor details that can be quickly addressed.

Given the reports of a delayed ramp up, known changes in the pipeline, and lack of additional customer deliveries it would be fair to assume that the production line is shut down at the moment and NO vehicles are being produced for customers (there might be some being built for Tesla stores or for other company uses). If Tesla is making modifications to the vehicle it wouldn't make sense to be building cars that are now off spec.

Given no production at the moment, that inevitably leads to push back on delivery dates, which we again have anecdotal evidence of.

The June start date was agressive, and the scheduled production ramp up was extremely conservative. As a result, Tesla has a sizable buffer to step back and make the car more perfect, while still being able to meet production goals.

Any argument linking additional founder series cars to production delays is the worst kind of rank speculation, and especially so in light of the fact that there are solid reasons for those delays that do not require some conspiracy theory.

Because of how Tesla uses batch production, and the nature of their ramp-up plans, I think it's simply not true that slotting in additional founders series cars would lead to a substantial delay in the Sigs. The bottleneck is the slow ramp up, and founders already had most (or all) of those slots. Once you get past the initial phases of ramp up an additional 100 vehicles represent maybe a week of production, and eventually just over a day.

So the first few Sig's might see a delay of anywhere from a week or two, but the vast majority would likely not see any appreciable delay at all. But even that is arbitrary. Tesla is more than capable of speeding up production to eliminate possible delays. The planned ramp up was extremely conservative, and I've always felt it was more of a fudge factor to let Tesla have a flexible response to reality (as they appear to be doing), rather than a strict requirement on the critical path for production ramp up.

Of course, none of this has anything to do with diluting the value to the Sig's. It seems to me that it does to a certain extent. But there was always a Founders series which was a more exclusive "brand" than the Sig. To me it seems that the dilution to the Founders affects that class far more than it does the Sig. But if additional Founders cars are being made, they will be going to the Justin Biebers of the world, which drives up the value of the Tesla brand itself, and indirectly improves the value of the Sig's along with all other Tesla models.

To my way of thinking, most chicks wont know the difference anyways. A Tesla Model S Signature Performance with all the gizmos is a pretty hot car, period. (And yes ladies.. dudes think you look sexy driving it too :wink:)

Last edited:
I'll take the silver lining in the cloud approach to this - On the bright side, if it's true a bunch of founders are now stepping up to ask for cars, it probably means that Tesla has really hit a home run with the Model S and the future is very bright for the company. If some high powered types have a Model S to parade around, then it means more publicity for Tesla and in the long run, a better possibility that Tesla stays in business and provides us with a great customer experience for years to come.

If Tesla can stay in business means the Model X will get produced, it means that the Gen III platform will be developed, it means the BMW3 competitor will be available for more people, it means the next gen Roadster will be there and it means that the world will be a better place as Tesla shows the world that Electric cars are the best cars in the world.

It does pain me a bit as a Sig reservation holder if there is a possible delay in my getting my car, but in the scope of things, I'm OK with it.

[mod note: updated thread title to reflect that (so far) this is a rumor, before we start having people believing something we don't know to be true. This in no way reflects on the OP, who is simply reporting what was passed on to him. But this has not been confirmed by Tesla. b.]

If Tesla was charging them double ($250k for fully-configured Signature Perf), I'd be more okay with it.

I, for one, would still have a problem with that. It would be one thing if we all got access to this list, but this is an insider's list, being filled by people who came to the party way late -- basically showing no faith in the company as we have.

In another thread there is some speculation that because some people have Sig #s in the 1,200s Tesla is making more than 1,000 Sigs. I don't know if I believe it, but if they are correct and Tesla is making these new Founders orders, I see a potential law suit in the future. Tesla needs to be very careful with this.

I believe the sig #'s in the 1200's are for the people who dropped out or downgraded. I don't think they compacted the list -- they just added on numbers to the end instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.