Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

False seat belt warning (bug)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This happened a week or so ago on my Model 3.

Short version: (probably) bad UI logic causes false seat belt warning that won't go away.

Long version:
Second trip of the day with a passenger. I put some packages in the trunk, then 5 minutes later we get in and passenger buckles up. I sit in driver's seat and notice the screen is blank. I buckle up and I see the Tesla T logo as the UI seems to have spontaneously re-booted. I wait a few seconds and since I'm in a sparse parking lot I back out as the map shows up on the display. However the seat belt warning is going ding, ding, ding. There is nothing on any rear seat. There is no warning showing on the display. We both wiggle our seat belts to make sure they are locked in.
I drive about 50 ft and still the annoying ding, ding...so I stop, get out and make sure the trunk is properly closed (I discovered another bug with this a year ago*). I get back in, buckle up but I still have ding, ding, ding.
What the heck...2 miles to home I just start driving and figure I'll mess with it later.
Half way home it is really annoying, so passenger opens and closes door (is it the same sound?) No luck and no warnings on screen. Then passenger unbuckles...still a ding, ding ding. Then rebuckles and it shuts up. Ah...peace and quiet. And during the time unbuckled I saw the seat diagram with red on the passenger seat.

Maybe the "seat belt fastened logic" is looking for a state transition from unbuckled to buckled, NOT that the seat belt is buckled. And since the UI was spontaneously rebooting we both buckled up this was never seen. My buckle got reset when I checked the trunk. However, this doesn't make sense since I've done a manual reboot while sitting with my seat belt on so it must be something else.

In any case if your seat belt warning ding is stuck...try unbuckling and rebuckling all belts.

* trunk closed bug.
I did not close my trunk all the way once and didn't know it. Maybe there was a warning when I started but I didn't see it.
The car worked fine for 30 miles with no on-screen warnings but it would not let me go into auto pilot and wouldn't explain why. At a stop I happened to put something in the trunk and discovered that it was only half-latched.