Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

False Speed Limit (School Zones, End speed areas) for 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am writing to Tesla next, but thought I would post here to see how others are dealing with this issue. My morning commute is on a highway where I pass through multiple speed zones. While the majority of the drive is 55, there are spots where it goes to 45, 35 etc. With the speed limiting in version 7.1 (which I completely understand) I am noticing that signs that say "End of 35 MPH zone" are not recognized. In addition, school zones seem to be constantly read as "do it now" despite the fact that I am never though there at applicable times.

Has anyone had any luck reporting false/wrong map data? Just wondering.

Yes, its horrible in South Florida. Like I said in another thread, Auto Pilot is worthless in 7.1 with the restrictions. The restrictions are not based on a center divider. They are based on a GPS location.

The solution to this is to manually press the accelerator pedal... However now you are creating a more dangerous situation because TACC is disabled when pressing the accelerator. They didn't put much thought into these restrictions.

Get ready for 20 people to come post "Auto Pilot is not supposed to be used on surface streets."

Response from Tesla:

At this point there is no detection software to differentiate between school zones, turn signs, construction signs, etc. The vehicle is designed to scan for speed limit signs and use the GPS of your area to get an idea of what the speed limit of the area is but as you can see it is not always accurate. While the system is still being improved it is still the driver's responsibility to adjust vehicle speed accordingly if the vehicle fails to do so.

Autopilot is not supposed to be used on surface streets.

Ok - I use it all the time when I am not supposed to but...

My viewpoint is that the original intent was highways ... no wait - interstate highways (or comparable). No possibility of school zones there. They want it used there first and there is zero priority to have school zones recognized.

What are Florida's highways are not California's highways are not NC's highways. But interstate - that is universal (well in the US). Honestly, don't you think the priority is perfection on interstates.

Hey - they updated the undivided road use by biasing more to the right if the left is a double yellow line so they haven't forgotten about surface streets. But if there is a school zone, then there is the possibility of pedestrians and bikes. For an interstate, that potentially catastrophic situation doesn't exist.

has anyone forgotten that AP is a BETA release and a work in progress?
AP is a technology that is in it's infancy and at this point it is far from perfect, can you name any other manufacturer that has anything even close to what tesla is offering?

has anyone forgotten that AP is a BETA release and a work in progress?
AP is a technology that is in it's infancy and at this point it is far from perfect, can you name any other manufacturer that has anything even close to what tesla is offering?
Except Beta is supposed to IMPROVE with each release, this is a giant leap backwards.
And sure, MB has the same technology, except theirs only requires the hands on wheel part, not the horribly implemented other restrictions.
Other manufacturers are releasing the same thing soon, so it won't be long before Tesla's is among the worst implementation if they don't step up their game quickly.

Except Beta is supposed to IMPROVE with each release, this is a giant leap backwards.
And sure, MB has the same technology, except theirs only requires the hands on wheel part, not the horribly implemented other restrictions.
Other manufacturers are releasing the same thing soon, so it won't be long before Tesla's is among the worst implementation if they don't step up their game quickly.
Please do not exaggerate. Tesla is well ahead of MB or BMW, whose current products I have used.

First, the worry about AP limitations regarding speed limits and off-divided highways are being a trifle misrepresented in some of these posts.
Second, if one wants to exceed the speed limit by more that 5 mph in a non-divided highway it is easily to do so.

Here are facts, based on my >500 miles with 7.1

1) in general performance on divided highways, dual lane or not, is better than 7.0 with no real negatives. We only need recognize that this is not autonomous driving but is a driver assistance function.
2) In auto-steer mode on non-divided highways/streets the performance is better than 7.0, especially w its variable markings and exit lane performance.
3) speed control in auto-steer mode is quite advanced over 7.0 when on non-divided roads because your maximum speed will be the posted limit plus your pre-set offset, not more. If you want more than that no problem. Auto-steer will not work then, but TACC will.

In my opinion 7.1 is a significant advance, but requires a learning curve, just as does all Autopilot functions.

Please do not exaggerate. Tesla is well ahead of MB or BMW, whose current products I have used.

First, the worry about AP limitations regarding speed limits and off-divided highways are being a trifle misrepresented in some of these posts.
Second, if one wants to exceed the speed limit by more that 5 mph in a non-divided highway it is easily to do so.

Here are facts, based on my >500 miles with 7.1

1) in general performance on divided highways, dual lane or not, is better than 7.0 with no real negatives. We only need recognize that this is not autonomous driving but is a driver assistance function.
2) In auto-steer mode on non-divided highways/streets the performance is better than 7.0, especially w its variable markings and exit lane performance.
3) speed control in auto-steer mode is quite advanced over 7.0 when on non-divided roads because your maximum speed will be the posted limit plus your pre-set offset, not more. If you want more than that no problem. Auto-steer will not work then, but TACC will.

In my opinion 7.1 is a significant advance, but requires a learning curve, just as does all Autopilot functions.
You forgot the caveat that this is only true in the extremely rare case that it actually knows the speed limit of the road you are on, and knows whether or not it is divided.

- - - Updated - - -

TACC does not disable when pressing the accelerator.
Well, not exactly disable, but it certainly won't be able to automatically slow down to match a vehicle you're approaching. If I have to drive the car myself, I'll drive the car myself!

I am writing to Tesla next, but thought I would post here to see how others are dealing with this issue. My morning commute is on a highway where I pass through multiple speed zones. While the majority of the drive is 55, there are spots where it goes to 45, 35 etc. With the speed limiting in version 7.1 (which I completely understand) I am noticing that signs that say "End of 35 MPH zone" are not recognized. In addition, school zones seem to be constantly read as "do it now" despite the fact that I am never though there at applicable times.
Has anyone had any luck reporting false/wrong map data? Just wondering.

In my area, the school speed limits are exactly the same type of speed limit sign as all the others. They have a separate sign below with the word school on it. Plus there are no end school zones. Stuck at 25 MPH until it sees another regular sign, which could be miles down the road. I don't know how the T could know.

Yes it does. If you're foot is on the accelerator, it does not break or slowdown the car based on traffic ahead of you... Therefore its a simple cruise control.
I think Todd was trying to say that AP doesn't disengage when you increase speed above the local speed limit and it doesn't. Obviously if you're controlling the accelerator, you are in control and responsible for noticing things like stopped vehicles in front of you. The car will still auto steer though.

If the criteria is that AP and TACC should work without the driver paying attention, then we should be talking about Google cars. That's explicitly a non-goal for Tesla at the current time.

- - - Updated - - -

My point exactly. What feedback loop is there for all of us beta testers?
What he said. I totally agree.

Yes it does. If you're foot is on the accelerator, it does not break or slowdown the car based on traffic ahead of you... Therefore its a simple cruise control.

What you are describing is overriding TACC, not disabling it. The indicator will still be blue, and the car will not go below the set speed except when following traffic or if there are autosteer restrictions--therefore it is still enabled.

But merely a question of semantics--just wanted to make it clear that it doesn't actually disengage when you press the accelerator.

I was driving in the center lane on a three lane undivided road (TACC on set to 50 and auto steer On) when my car started doing some hard braking, luckily there wasn't anyone behind me but I did hit the accelerator to compensate then noticed the school zone signs. I wasn't even thinking about a school zone because it was Saturday. This "feature" is certainly annoying, a bit shocking, and potentially dangerous if your car starts to break hard for no apparent reason and someone happens to be following closely behind you.

I have a really hard time understanding why someone would complain that autopilot doesn't work in a school zone. Seriously? In the place where control and observation is probably the most important you want a car running beta software to take control?

I have a really hard time understanding why someone would complain that autopilot doesn't work in a school zone. Seriously? In the place where control and observation is probably the most important you want a car running beta software to take control?
That's not the complaint. The complaint is that your Tesla doesn't know when school is in session. My example was on a Saturday. Having your car aggressively break from 50mph to 25mph (for no apparent reason) isn't a great feature. People should be aware that AP adjusts to what the car thinks is the correct speed regardless if what the car thinks is correct or not. Beta yes, perfect no. And FYI AP works perfectly fine in a school zone.

Wow, I was surprised when I looked down at my dash this morning. Mistakenly read a 65 MPH sign as 85 and bumped up TACC to max of 90.

IMG_5384-2.JPG