Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Family home destroyed in fire reportedly started by charging Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: Chenkers
Will this ever stop? I'll bet it was not the car for if it was it would have taken a crap load of time to put out and the fire department would have had to use different processes.....I'll bet News never corrects it's crap/incorrect reporting:

Now there is this article which has a statement from the fire department saying there was no Tesla or charging equipment.

FAKE NEWS: A Tesla did NOT burn down a Sydney home last night - techAU

I had an exactly opposite incident. There was a fire in my garage, caused by the charging unit in my golf cart.

The Temp in the garage exceeded 2,000 degrees. My Model X, parked along side the golf cart was destroyed in the fire, but the batteries never ignited. The paint was burnt off the body, the tires melted, the head and tail lights melted, but the battery pack held firm.

At first, everybody jumped to the conclusion, because of news media sensational coverage of Tesla fires, that the Tesla was the cause, but a forensic examination determined that it was the charging system in my 20 year old golf cart that sparked while charging and ignited the fumes from the charging 12V lead acid batteries. This is something that Li Ion batteries do not emit.

In a like manner, this news article has jumped to the conclusion that the charging Tesla was the cause of the garage fire. My Fire Captain said that they see tons more gas vehicle garage fires than with EVs.

Better to wait till the cause of the fire can be determined by professionals before jumping to conclusions and publishing sensational headlines.

Reactions: Bennny and Bouba
Don't hold your breath waiting for a retraction from news.com.au

Exactly, false/misleading (by accident or on purpose often when it comes to News.com.au) should be required by law to retract/correct their misinformation without having to resort to someone like Tesla taking them to court...I am all for press freedom but when News.com.au use this freedom for their own agenda (clickbait or because they wish to influence the population with their lies) something has got to change in terms of legal requirement (and massive fines for not doing so, with name/shame on the reporters also).

not fact checked, but doesn't make it incorrect by default... since last 4-5 updates everything with car is wrong, navigation picks signal in middle of motorway and stops... car makes hissing sounds when parked and locked inside garage.... car slow down in middle of the road for no visible reason.... so I wouldn't be surprised if this Tesla committed suicide by getting disappointed with dodgy software updates...

not fact checked, but doesn't make it incorrect by default... since last 4-5 updates everything with car is wrong, navigation picks signal in middle of motorway and stops... car makes hissing sounds when parked and locked inside garage.... car slow down in middle of the road for no visible reason.... so I wouldn't be surprised if this Tesla committed suicide by getting disappointed with dodgy software updates...

What's that go to do with reporting a Tesla started a fire in a house when a Tesla wasn't even in the house?

Superintedent Adam Dewberry has already cleared that up, a fact New.com.au should have checked themselves, see attached:

2022-04-05_10-03-27.png

Amazing, News.com.au has updated/corrected their misinformation....but they couldn't help but leave a dig at Auto-Pilot at the end of the article; note: we still don't even know if the driver had Auto-Pilot engaged or not and furthermore News.com.au left out that the driver had previously had her drivers license cancelled for "bad" driving and had did not stop after hitting the person!

Reactions: Vostok