Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Family of 4 — used MX or new MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Context:

- Today- Wife, me, 1 year old and one 30lb dog
- Tomorrow - planning to try for another kid in maybe 2-3 years
- budget of 75-80k
- would ideally like to purchase this year 2022
- currently driving a very beat up 2009 Sentra
- mostly be used to do short drives, with maybe 2-3 road-trips a year with whole family

Questions
- what would be best for family of 4 plus a small doggie? Budget is somewhat top of mind and would love to “future proof” as much as possible when / if our family grows to 4.
Thanks!

LOL, I wonder when the first MX recommendation will show up.

Biased here for sure, but definitely a MY. I hate the gimmicky falcon-wings. I also hate driving a car without warranty, given your budget and the price of a new MX.

I’ve got 3 kids. We did the minivan thing but it frankly wasn’t all that worth it, as for most people, a minivan is not exactly fun to drive. We now have a MY 7 Seater and it works great for us. Model X is nice and all, and I’m sure it’s worth the price difference, it was just way out of our price range at the time. If you can get a used X for the same as a new Y then it would come down to the test drive for me personally.

All I can speak to is that the Y will be plenty big enough for a family of 4 and it’s amazing to drive and live with day to day.

Context:

- Today- Wife, me, 1 year old and one 30lb dog
- Tomorrow - planning to try for another kid in maybe 2-3 years
- budget of 75-80k
- would ideally like to purchase this year 2022
- currently driving a very beat up 2009 Sentra
- mostly be used to do short drives, with maybe 2-3 road-trips a year with whole family

Questions
- what would be best for family of 4 plus a small doggie? Budget is somewhat top of mind and would love to “future proof” as much as possible when / if our family grows to 4.
Thanks!
My daughters family (2 adults, 2 kids, big dog) has a Model X (six seater) and it works well for them. Lots of room for stuff and longer trips.

I'm not sure you can get into a used MX at that price point, unless it's several years old, which would sway me to buy a new MY instead. That said, the MX will certainly have more room, a plusher ride, etc.. I'd drive both and go from there. I shudder to think of infants and toddlers in my MYP. LOL

Reactions: house9
I'm guessing at that budget you could only get a fairly old Model X, so I'd say get a new MYP for now (unless you're OK with waiting until next year for MYLR), and re-assess after the second kid is on the way and the VW ID-Buzz is released.

We have 3 kids and a 10 lbs dog, but the oldest has her own car now, so the MYP for the most part is used for 2 adults, 2 kids, and a small dog. It works perfectly for us.

Reactions: sleepydoc
I'm guessing at that budget you could only get a fairly old Model X, so I'd say get a new MYP for now (unless you're OK with waiting until next year for MYLR), and re-assess after the second kid is on the way and the VW ID-Buzz is released.

We have 3 kids and a 10 lbs dog, but the oldest has her own car now, so the MYP for the most part is used for 2 adults, 2 kids, and a small dog. It works perfectly for us.

+1 on the ID Buzz! Or the Tesla Van whenever that comes..

Thanks for the data for 2/2/dog. Super helpful.

I’ve got 3 kids. We did the minivan thing but it frankly wasn’t all that worth it, as for most people, a minivan is not exactly fun to drive. We now have a MY 7 Seater and it works great for us. Model X is nice and all, and I’m sure it’s worth the price difference, it was just way out of our price range at the time. If you can get a used X for the same as a new Y then it would come down to the test drive for me personally.

All I can speak to is that the Y will be plenty big enough for a family of 4 and it’s amazing to drive and live with day to day.
Excellent thanks for this. Did you compare MYP vs MYLR at all? Was it an easy choice to LR given the extra room? I guess my only gripe with LR at this point would be waiting till 2023. Not sure if my 2009 Sentra will survive till then haha

My kids are 22 and 24 now, but when they were little, having a minivan was the best thing for us.
My wife *SWORE* that she would never drive a minivan, but the peace we gained by being able to separate the kids made it worth having. Anyone with multiple kids will understand that.... You don't know hell until you're on a road trip with multiple kids yelling "He's touching me... She's looking at me..." :oops:
Also , with little kids - the interior WILL get messed up. It only takes one drink or snack.

My recommendation would be to save the $$$ and buy a used minivan as a primary kid-hauling vehicle. Buy a 2nd (or 3rd) nicer "family" vehicle as they get older. You'll keep the grey hair away longer, and your blood pressure will be lower. :)

The autodoors on the X I'm sure come in handy for drop offs and pickups and carrying lots of "stuff", such as a baby or baby items.

U would say 6 seater x would be the best option.

The Y will be a bit cramped but doubt you'll regret either option.

If you do go with a used X, I recommend an extended warranty from XCare

My $0.02

If budget is top of mind: Model Y with the 7 seater option.
If budget not important: Model X

For Model Y, the cost of maintenance is low. In some state, registration can be expensive (it's $1000 for me in CO, would be about $2k for Model Y). Insurance, etc. will also be more expensive. A used Model X at that price range, you will note have FSD, you may not have the latest MCU and may have to pay expensive repairs (falcon wings, etc.).

The Model X seems super fun, great car but it means spending more on insurance, registration. And potentially cover expensive repairs.

Reactions: TechOps
Excellent thanks for this. Did you compare MYP vs MYLR at all? Was it an easy choice to LR given the extra room? I guess my only gripe with LR at this point would be waiting till 2023. Not sure if my 2009 Sentra will survive till then haha
I didn’t even consider the MYP. The speed of the LR was already more than I’ve ever had, plus I live in NY so I thought the wheels of the LR would do better in the winter, and the added money would be better spent on the extra 2 seats.

I didn’t think there was any storage difference between the P and LR…?

I also didn’t have the wait problem as mine was ‘only’ a 3 month wait at the time so if you have a more urgent need you’re in a different spot than I was.

My daughters family (2 adults, 2 kids, big dog) has a Model X (six seater) and it works well for them. Lots of room for stuff and longer trips.
how would EV range compare for longer trips (or longer daily drives but > 100 miles like 3-4 times a week) ? (say with 3-5 yr old M-X vs 2022 M-Y)
From what I know - there have been improvements in M-Y (almost like newer tech similar to earlier days with iphones back in 2008/2010 time range with better battery, better screens and what not)

2022 M-Y apparently has better heat pump (? I don't know much but Elon had raved couple years back), faster charging battery, quieter, better chip and likely better 12V battery (which seems a bigger deal - don't know much). There are enhancements in M-Y that make is better in lots of smaller things which may make M-Y 2022 better deal than over a 3yr old M-X (range and battery aside).
Great thread/question.
I hope people keep this updated for each new model (and comparing latest Y vs. about >2yr old X) as tech and other feature comparision should need constant updates.

Minivan is good for long distance trip due to comfortable riding characteristics. that's all. Even then, how many times a year do you do long distance trips that require a minivan?
We have two kids, and MYP is more than enough to carry all our stuff and kids stuff for any distance trip.
As other mentioned, I will NOT drive any out of warranty Tesla, especially older MX with so many things to go wrong.

Reactions: cusetownusa