Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Family of 4 — used MX or new MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Context:

- Today- Wife, me, 1 year old and one 30lb dog
- Tomorrow - planning to try for another kid in maybe 2-3 years
- budget of 75-80k
- would ideally like to purchase this year 2022
- currently driving a very beat up 2009 Sentra
- mostly be used to do short drives, with maybe 2-3 road-trips a year with whole family

Questions
- what would be best for family of 4 plus a small doggie? Budget is somewhat top of mind and would love to “future proof” as much as possible when / if our family grows to 4.
My situation is similar to yours. It's only me and my wife now, but we plan on having a couple of kids within the next few years. I was in the same older car I had through college, so we decided to finally upgrade to a MYP. If we have more than 2 kids and need more space a few years down the line, we'll be looking at replacing our other car anyway.

Many posts here are recommending you get the MY 7 seater, but I think you'd be fine with the standard 5 seats, regardless if you go with the LR or P. Even with two kids, the dog goes in the back. As far as your timeline is concerned, keep in mind if you get a LR, you probably won't accept delivery until the end of the year or early 2023.

To get a MX down to your price range, you're probably looking at one from 2016-2018. I wouldn't be interested in that deal.

My situation is similar to yours. It's only me and my wife now, but we plan on having a couple of kids within the next few years. I was in the same older car I had through college, so we decided to finally upgrade to a MYP. If we have more than 2 kids and need more space a few years down the line, we'll be looking at replacing our other car anyway.

Many posts here are recommending you get the MY 7 seater, but I think you'd be fine with the standard 5 seats, regardless if you go with the LR or P. Even with two kids, the dog goes in the back. As far as your timeline is concerned, keep in mind if you get a LR, you probably won't accept delivery until the end of the year or early 2023.

To get a MX down to your price range, you're probably looking at one from 2016-2018. I wouldn't be interested in that deal.
I saw the sticker price yesterday for NEW MXP $145K.

Family of 5 here and a 15lb dog. 3 kids ages 7, 11, 13. We went with the Y over the X after much deliberation. In the end, the waiting time for the X was too long as we needed a bigger car sooner than later. Looking back, saving $60K was a big win as well.

So far, we are very happy with the Y. Wife is happy, kids are happy. That’s all that really matters for me.

Reactions: FatherTo1 and IdaX
100% go with a model Y. Even a five seater will do though we love having the extra seats in our seven seater
Extreme Reliability
Perfect for a small family

Model X has a track record of having issues. (I’m hoping the refresh X won’t, but you’re thinking about buying used)

6 person household here, can confirm MYP and minivan is the way to go.

Tow hitch on both and roof rack + cargo box for the minivan.

The MX didnt have enough cargo space once you add luggage and strollers and such and when you dont need to haul a ton of other stuff the MYP is perfect and a ton of fun.

hate to be that guy...but minivan. Nothing beats minivan for the first 10+ years with multiple kids. Model Y is a perfect second car.
1651267891829.png

VW i.buzz

6 person household here, can confirm MYP and minivan is the way to go.

Tow hitch on both and roof rack + cargo box for the minivan.

The MX didnt have enough cargo space once you add luggage and strollers and such and when you dont need to haul a ton of other stuff the MYP is perfect and a ton of fun.
Can put a cargo basket on the back of the Model X if you need extra cargo space. Bit of a pain backing into superchargers tho!