Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Family of 4 — used MX or new MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model X is a minivan.
Minivans have doors on the second row that make it easy to get kids in and out in tight spaces.
Minivans hold a lot of people.
Therefore, the Model X is a minivan.

I have a Y and test drove an X before I got it (since the Y wasn’t out yet).
They drive completely different. You should drive both and see what you like.

The X was out of my price range too, so the Y worked for me.

Reactions: cusetownusa
Context:

- Today- Wife, me, 1 year old and one 30lb dog
- Tomorrow - planning to try for another kid in maybe 2-3 years
- budget of 75-80k
- would ideally like to purchase this year 2022
- currently driving a very beat up 2009 Sentra
- mostly be used to do short drives, with maybe 2-3 road-trips a year with whole family

Questions
- what would be best for family of 4 plus a small doggie? Budget is somewhat top of mind and would love to “future proof” as much as possible when / if our family grows to 4.
Thanks!
My wife and I have an 8-year-old and a 3-year-old, plus a Labrador. We started with two Model 3SR+s, and we're going to wind up with two Model YLRs. (We're halfway there; I'm waiting on delivery of mine.) The Model Y is perfect for our family, and it is large enough for adults to sit comfortably in the back. If you're considering a used Model X around the price point of a new Model Y, consider that you will have to buy the old style X, so you're already a step behind in "future proofing" your choice from the perspective of the in-car technology.

Also consider a couple other things that I haven't seen mentioned here: insurance costs may be much higher for the X since the sticker price is so much higher. Also, should you need repair parts, I would imagine the higher-volume Y parts would be easier to acquire than X parts, especially considering the Y shares so many parts with the 3. This is pure speculation on my part, but something to consider nevertheless.

• Informative
Reactions: KidsEyeDr
how would EV range compare for longer trips (or longer daily drives but > 100 miles like 3-4 times a week) ? (say with 3-5 yr old M-X vs 2022 M-Y)
From what I know - there have been improvements in M-Y (almost like newer tech similar to earlier days with iphones back in 2008/2010 time range with better battery, better screens and what not)

2022 M-Y apparently has better heat pump (? I don't know much but Elon had raved couple years back), faster charging battery, quieter, better chip and likely better 12V battery (which seems a bigger deal - don't know much). There are enhancements in M-Y that make is better in lots of smaller things which may make M-Y 2022 better deal than over a 3yr old M-X (range and battery aside).
Great thread/question.
I hope people keep this updated for each new model (and comparing latest Y vs. about >2yr old X) as tech and other feature comparision should need constant updates.
Theirs is a 2016 so older and many improvements and bigger batteries since then. 100 miles is no problem since range is over 200 miles.
Their "long distance" trips consist of drives to the in laws in the Bay Area (about 4 hours, less than 200 miles) so they can make it with a single charge then charge for the return.
They are currently considering a new Tesla... may get a Model Y LR seven seater ... ;)

I would get a 6-seat X, but know it’s a series of compromises.

I love the FWD and the 6-seat X is great for the dog in between the second row seats, but realize the the Y actually has more 2nd-row legroom than the X due to those front seat risers on the Y that give generous toe space.

Although the 6-seat allows third row passengers the ability to stretch their legs down the aisle, it also compromise cargo capacity because the 2nd-row seats get in the way and don’t fold down. You could get a 7-seater but then that third row is tight and not easy to access and they did away with the power 2nd-row in later years. You don’t want the 5-seat X because it lacks the second AC and rear vents for the dog.

Also, I would only consider a May 2019, or more recent, “Raven” X with the updated air suspension because I was in the market at one time for the X and the pre-Ravens have atrocious ride quality, even on the smallest 20” wheels.

We love our 2021 MYLR but since the wife has basically taken over my Y, I will still get to pick our next car and I’d rather have a used Raven X over a second Y because I miss the dual screens from my previous Raven Model S.

Also, consider how much range you need as a used X is less efficient and probably will have less real-world range than an LR Y. Both are great EVs but the X of course has more cachet.

• Helpful
Reactions: Oreodriver and IdaX
We're family of 4 but no pets. I sold our 2017 6seater X and got a MYP because of couple design flaws of the X that I did not know until owning the car. I am much happier with the MYP because I got better mcu, headlights, better handling, faster speed, and ride is as quiet as the X. The only thing I miss from the X was the roomy 6-seat that could come in handy when carrying extra passengers.

Reactions: Oreodriver
We're family of 4 but no pets. I sold our 2017 6seater X and got a MYP because of couple design flaws of the X that I did not know until owning the car. I am much happier with the MYP because I got better mcu, headlights, better handling, faster speed, and ride is as quiet as the X. The only thing I miss from the X was the roomy 6-seat that could come in handy when carrying extra passengers.
We were set on a 7 seat Y, but last minute I thought might as well get the Performance, why the hell not and the kids are teens so they'll be driving soon anyways. Thankfully the wife concured which is good because it's her car lol. If the Performance was available in a 7 seat, that would be the one.

Then a used X is almost certainly a no-go. You don’t want to be responsible for care and feeding of a used X out of warranty.

Get the Y and expect that you’ll need to replace it with a bigger car when your kids get bigger.
Do you have any kids? As the kids get bigger/older, you carry less and less for them and you don't need bigger car than MYP unless you have three or more kids. When you travel with babies, you have to carry the entire house with you. lol

Do you have any kids?
13 and 15, 5’8” and 5’10”.

They’d rather walk these days than fold up into the back of my Model S. A 3/Y would be a source of major conflict in my house. 😆

Yeah, you bring less stuff, but need more room for the actual humans when they get older.

We got by in a RAV4 when they were young, which is basically Y sized. These days the PHEV minivan with second row captain’s chairs gets all the family hauling duty.

@Familyman321 , I would recommend driving both, as one major difference is that the X has air suspension
and is softer to ride, especially if the roads in your area have potholes, while the Y is a more harsh.

Beside what was listed before, check if there no issue with the size of your garage or driveway access.
The Model X cannot get a roof rack, if this would be an issue, like putting a cargo box or winter sky.

Reactions: AJ..
@Familyman321 , I would recommend driving both, as one major difference is that the X has air suspension
and is softer to ride, especially if the roads in your area have potholes, while the Y is a more harsh.

Beside what was listed before, check if there no issue with the size of your garage or driveway access.
The Model X cannot get a roof rack, if this would be an issue, like putting a cargo box or winter sky.
Lmao, the X is over 120K pre tax, it's already way over his budget. Also if you're talking used, that's a huge compromise with a whole host of tradeoffs. I suppose used is the only way to get into a similar price bracket, but I would really avoid an X nearing the end of its warranty.

Last edited:
Reactions: ucmndd
While I love our MYP I personally would not suggest any Tesla or 70+K car purchase with a newly started family and questionable economy while concerned about budget. Saving the planet is a kind interest but Family should be first. Find a solid 20k SUV Honda or minivan and keep your spare money as savings for school and new family mysteries that Will arise. Nobody Needs a Tesla or expensive transport on likely a single income. Not to mention scraping Cheerios out of the seats (will happen) is not something you will enjoy while making massive monthly payments. Love our MY but made that commitment long After our 3 kids and 3 dogs were so dependent our support. And last note, while adults don’t mind, kids Hate 30 minute plus stops to charge on the way to Disney! Lol

We were set on a 7 seat Y, but last minute I thought might as well get the Performance, why the hell not and the kids are teens so they'll be driving soon anyways. Thankfully the wife concured which is good because it's her car lol. If the Performance was available in a 7 seat, that would be the one.
I was set on the LR 7 seater as well, but the much shorter wait time was worth the upgrade for me; plus you don't get the matrix headlights on the LR which was one of the reasons for me to get a Y. 7 seat is only good for small kids on short trips, I would not want them to sit back there on road trips.

Context:

- Today- Wife, me, 1 year old and one 30lb dog
- Tomorrow - planning to try for another kid in maybe 2-3 years
- budget of 75-80k
- would ideally like to purchase this year 2022
- currently driving a very beat up 2009 Sentra
- mostly be used to do short drives, with maybe 2-3 road-trips a year with whole family

Questions
- what would be best for family of 4 plus a small doggie? Budget is somewhat top of mind and would love to “future proof” as much as possible when / if our family grows to 4.
Thanks!

Seven seat MYLR

Keith

While I love our MYP I personally would not suggest any Tesla or 70+K car purchase with a newly started family and questionable economy while concerned about budget. Saving the planet is a kind interest but Family should be first.
That's why the Tesla is imperative: the safety of your family depends on it.

And last note, while adults don’t mind, kids Hate 30 minute plus stops to charge on the way to Disney! Lol
Total disagree here: the kids love that I'm forced to stop for half an hour periodically so that they can get out and pee and stretch their legs. If we were in a gas car, I'd be passing out gatorade bottles instead of bathroom stops so it works out ;)

I also moved from an X to a MYP. If my kids were little I would have kept the X longer bc it def would be fantastic for loading kids into car seats. I am super happy with my Y for the same reasons you mentioned - but will always have a soft spot for an X (that windshield!).

Last edited:
That's why the Tesla is imperative: the safety of your family depends on it.

Total disagree here: the kids love that I'm forced to stop for half an hour periodically so that they can get out and pee and stretch their legs. If we were in a gas car, I'd be passing out gatorade bottles instead of bathroom stops so it works out ;)
are you saying Tesla or an expensive car are the Only safe cars on the road. Sorry no. That’s a bit of a guilt pitch. Many cars have similar safety including Honda. Second, in his example his kids are currently 1 and under. Not yet roaming joggers. Toddlers and infants keep the car moving or suffer the consequences lol.

My kids are 15 and 13 and we also have a ~30 pound dog. I was worried the Y would not be big enough for road trips, but I was wrong. I’m only 6 feet, but crank the seat back and there is still tons of leg room behind me. More than our Range Rover Sport which is decent. The glass roof has plenty of head room and between the frunk, lower rear storage, and rear hatch there is tons of cargo space. We put the rear seat armrest down and our dog chills there between the kids. Unless you are going to be shuttling 4+ kids on the regular, I’m not sure the 7 seater is worth it as you lose the lower rear storage. After owning the Y, I am glad I didn’t pay the massive premium for the X.

Reactions: cusetownusa