Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Family of 5 Trip Report | 5,883 Mile Adventure From Utah to Florida in a 2015 S85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My family of 5 went on an epic road trip in our Tesla over the Christmas break and I got a lot of questions from friends and family about it because there are some elements that are a significant paradigm shift from driving a gasoline vehicle. The #1 question I get asked is “How long does it take to charge?” which is a difficult question to answer quickly, so I decided to create a series of videos going over the details of how well our used/CPO 2015 Tesla Model S 85D performs on this 5,883 mile winter cross country road trip from Salt Lake City, UT to Orlando, FL with my young family. My goal in creating these videos is to educate Tesla owners on what their vehicles are capable of, and prospective Tesla owners what they can expect out of their future Tesla (at least as much as I can show with the somewhat outdated Model S 85D) and any limitations we run into. In each video I also review our TeslaFi.com data logs to show detailed data around vehicle performance driving and charging. To see my videos go to this URL Our 5,883 Mile Tesla Family Road Trip from Utah to Florida - YouTube

Over those 5,883 miles our Tesla consumed 2,068 kWh of electricity) over 16 days. We were in 11 different states, (including 4 corners and Texarkana border) went to an Atlantic coast beach and gulf coast beach, stayed 5 nights in 5 hotels and 10 nights in 4 friends/families houses. We charged at 39 different Tesla Superchargers, 3 hotels and 4 friends/families homes and we charged from 6 different types of electrical outlets (Supercharger, NEMA 10-30, NEMA 14-30, NEMA 14-50, NEMA 5-15, J1772) and spent $0 on that electricity (Our Model S has free unlimited supercharging and we offered to friends/family to pay but they were all just happy to have us visit and covered that minimal cost. The electricity cost would have been an estimated $358 according to ABetterRoutePlanner.com if we had paid and only charged at superchargers). We toured the USS Alabama battleship and submarine and saw lots of old airplanes in the museum. We visited the Wild Florida zoo & outdoor safari and had lots of fun collecting shells or other random things on the beaches. We went on a kid friendly hike in Phoenix, AZ and had lots of time to visit with family and friends everywhere we went. Overall it was a successful trip worth doing, but a bit on the long side from my wife and kids perspective...I never got tired of driving our Tesla though!

Before and after the trip we didn't have to do any trip related maintenance to our Tesla although we happened to install new tires (Continental ExtremeContact DWS06) 1 month prior to the trip and the trip was an entire tire rotation interval covered by Discount Tire as included in their service policy. The tire measurement prior to the trip was 10/32 and afterward it was 9/32 on all four tires. If you replace tires at 4/32 tread depth per manufacturers safety recommendation then this trip consumed 1/6th of the tread life of the tires. Which assuming similar wear going forward (highway miles which isn't going to be the case) the tires could last about 36,000 miles at this rate. Considering these tires have a 50,000 mile warranty I may be collecting on that warranty when these tires need to be replaced. Take away; Teslas are heavy and have a lot of torque which wears tires out faster than equivalent gasoline vehicles. For what it's worth we did very few full accelerations on this entire trip while giving friends and family on test drives or regular driving.

I hope you gain some insights from this post, and my YouTube videos, and if you have any feedback for me in editing the next videos as I continue to document our journey feel free to comment here or in the YouTube video comments.

Oct 2018 did a similar length trip, LA to Chicago and return. Wish I thought about making a vid for YT! I averaged 50-55 mph including stops, and drove about 400-500 miles per day. Did you keep track of your x-country speeds?

Did you keep track of your x-country speeds?
I had TeslaFi connected throughout the trip so I have lots of stats. It gives me the average and max speeds for each drive, but not overall average speed for the entire day, or the entire trip combined. On this trip the farthest we drove in one day was 839 miles.

You rock bro, 839 in one day, even changing drivers that's cool. Put in the Cannon Ball run next year.
My only question, you must have high charge rate? Over 125kw? I'm fighting Tesla now, mine is down to 36kw. Ugh.
Congratulations.

My wife typically drives the first segment of the day then I drive the rest of the day. The charge rate would typically get up to around 120 kW briefly then it went down fairly quickly to 100 and on down. We generally arrived at superchargers with 10% or less. I could only get nearly 130 kW if I plugged in at 3%. In my YouTube videos I show what the charge rate gets up to at each charge stop. 36 kW is rough, I'd be putting up a fight with Tesla at that rate!

Here is software version

Attachments

• 1co8uftsr_957626.pdf
    24.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 20200214_044125.jpg
    20200214_044125.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 121
I had TeslaFi connected throughout the trip so I have lots of stats. It gives me the average and max speeds for each drive, but not overall average speed for the entire day, or the entire trip combined. On this trip the farthest we drove in one day was 839 miles.
Nice summary. Enjoyed reading, HOWEVER, 839 miles in one day! I'm never going to do that. TeslaFi should have given you stats on the condition of your tail :eek::D

What version of software are you on? Can you post your teslfi battery report graph?
I'm currently on software version 2020.4.1
Is this the battery graph you're looking for? My data doesn't go very far back as I signed up for TeslaFi just before going on this December road trip. I can say that when I first purchased the car in May 2019 and fully charged it for our first trip it was showing 262 miles of range. Now 20,000 miles later in 10 months it's charging to closer to 255 miles of rated range.

Attachments

• Battery charge to 100% report.jpg
    Battery charge to 100% report.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 74
Nice summary. Enjoyed reading, HOWEVER, 839 miles in one day! I'm never going to do that. TeslaFi should have given you stats on the condition of your tail :eek::D
Haha I recognize that 839 miles isn't great but considering the number of days we had to work with and the distances we wanted to go this distance was required. There weren't a whole lot of other places to stay overnight in rural Texas and we wanted to stay with relatives for free anyway. I never felt super pained in the tail since we stopped so regularly, and the Tesla seats are pretty comfortable I think.

I just uploaded the 4th day of travel to YouTube which you can see here if you're curious

Reactions: Silicon Desert
Did you keep a record of your 100% before and after your trip ? , My battery capacity dropped (3 to 4 kW degraded) with all the constant supercharging. My largest single day drive was 761 miles..

I have lots of pictures and videos from May of 2019 when I purchased it through November of 2019, but I didn't get TeslaFi until December 2019. I do know that in June when I charged it to 100% for the first time it had 262 rated miles of range. I'm guessing the prior owner who put the first 63,800 miles on it in San Francisco probably didn't supercharge as much as I have. Around home I charge at a rate of 9-10 kW and stop at 80% typically, but a good 14,000 miles on the odometer are from road trips where I mostly supercharged. Plus potentially software updates have changed things a bit too.

No one else in my family would do such a thing.
Yes I'm blessed with an awesome wife who's willing to try new things, and perhaps push some limits. Our agreement prior to the trip was that if we didn't end up making it to Orlando we'd consider the trip a success because we got out the door and went somewhere and saw new things. I'm really glad she was willing to give it a try, and it ended up being totally doable for us.