Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Family Road Trip Coast to Coast to Coast...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I may be crazy but my family is about to start a Electric road trip on Friday. My wife, two girls (almost 1 and almost 4) and I will be headed from the Los Angeles area to the East Coast, then up to Maine (may need a few tips from locals to charge 150 or so miles North of Boston) and down to at least North Carolina before headed back home...

We have no particular plans, but friends know we are coming. We are packing about a weeks worth of clothes, a tent and plenty of support equipment for the girls. We are not planning to set any speed records, we will take our time and do whatever we feel like...

If you see a blue S with California plates on the East side its probably us...

Sounds great. Please keep us posted on your adventure. How long do you plan to be on the road? Are you hoping to use only superchargers, or other public stations as well? I would love to be able to do something like this one day, but I don't have the patience to charge at non-SC stations unless it's overnight.

Bravi! Your four-year-old will remember the trip for a lifetime! Great that you have the time to do this with and for your family.

Doing planning for my current trip from BC to Iowa and back, I found there are a lot of well-placed EVSE's off the supercharger network, and in surprising good places. Hotels are increasingly catching on. But great that you are bringing a tent as well. I have had some marvellous experiences introducing RV/campgrounds to the EV magic.

Just confirmed our P85 (also Blue!) yesterday, for "late July" delivery, and I am planning on doing a mirror image of your trip, FL to West Coast. We have a 5 and 2 year old. I bought the two year old a cheap Android tablet to keep him busy.

We should share war stories when it's over.

…then up to Maine (may need a few tips from locals to charge 150 or so miles North of Boston)...

Have a great time! Coastal or inland Maine? PlugShare has a few places that can get you through but there are more options closer to the coast. Local colleges have spots too but my informal survey of local RV sites has me worrying most don't have high amperage available. ReVision Energy in Portland might be all you need to get on to your destination.

Have a great time! Coastal or inland Maine? PlugShare has a few places that can get you through but there are more options closer to the coast. Local colleges have spots too but my informal survey of local RV sites has me worrying most don't have high amperage available. ReVision Energy in Portland might be all you need to get on to your destination.

Nissan dealers will be your friend in Maine. You might want to call first and let them know you're coming especially if you want to charge after business hours.

Have a great trip!

/Ed (proud owner of a Nissan hat since they've provided a lot of juice on road trip endpoints)

I have three girls and we have been all over the place in vehicles starting from when they were little going camping every weekend, when they got a bit older to the Grand Canyon, Disneyland, Las Vegas, etc. They are fine in a car. It's a really good idea to get them used to it when they are young and it makes it much easier to travel with them as they get older. It just becomes second nature. I love getting in a car and going for an adventure! Enjoy them while they are young... it doesn't last long... and pretty soon this will be you (it just happened to me last month)... (except it was a Leaf -- not a Subaru that she drove off in)...

Subaru Commercial Father-Daughter - YouTube

I tip my hat to you. Bon voyage!

I can offer you a HPWC in NW Iowa if you need some juice ...

- - - Updated - - -

I can offer you a HPWC in NW Iowa if that is any help to you. There is also a SC in Worthington MN, just NW of us. Dave

Bravi! Your four-year-old will remember the trip for a lifetime! Great that you have the time to do this with and for your family.

Doing planning for my current trip from BC to Iowa and back, I found there are a lot of well-placed EVSE's off the supercharger network, and in surprising good places. Hotels are increasingly catching on. But great that you are bringing a tent as well. I have had some marvellous experiences introducing RV/campgrounds to the EV magic.

]

I can offer you a HPWC in NW Iowa if that is any help to you. There is also a SC in Worthington MN, just NW of us. Dave

Thank you Dave. Ill send you a PM if we are in the area on our way back.

- - - Updated - - -

Road Trip Story 1...

We were Supercharging in East Greenwich, RI. We finished our lunch and bought some supplies at the Drug Store. When we got back to our car there was another Model S charging a couple stalls over. As I am getting ready to go my wife says "hey they are from California too...". I did not beileve her and she said go look at the license plate for yourself. Sure enough at the farthest Supercharger away from home there were 2 Teslas from California Supercharging at the same time. We were ready to go but I had to wait and find the owner and say hi...

The other car from California was 3 brothers on a similar road trip. They were also headed to Maine and were headed to a HPWC found on plug share, just like us. Luckily we chose different sites.

IMG_1599.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited: