Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Family road trip - Sydney to Gold Coast

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So after the Simpson family's successful trip to Thredbo in the Model S a few months ago, I'm thinking of doing a run up to the Gold Coast in the school holidays in a few weeks. I don't have dual chargers nor any of the showground-charging-equipment (and I don't particularly like the idea of that in any case) and so I'm trying to work out whether I can make it.

Obviously we would stop at Cassegrain Winery in Port Macquarie, have lunch and fully recharge. But after that, I'm not certain of anything ;-). Plugging some numbers into EV Trip Planner, it looks as though we might be able to stop at Coffs Harbour for the night and perhaps have enough time to be able to top off close to a full charge by the next morning just by trickling in from the mobile charger. Does that sound possible? If we left Coffs with a full charge, it looks as though we'd be able to make it all the way through to Surfers Paradise the next day.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this trip. :)

All you need is a stopoff at the 3 phase Tesla charger at Ballina Day Surgery and you can charge while you have lunch or stroll along the Richmond River!

So, Coffs to Surfers Paradise isn't do-able on a full charge? It sort of looks like it might be on EV Trip Planner. I did see Ballina Day Surgery in the destination charger list - so that's like my charger at home except I can't take advantage of 3-phase as I don't have dual chargers. But I guess an hour or so there would give me an extra 50km+ of range. Or have I got this wrong?

Exactly like your charger at home Homer.

No accessories needed. You will pick up 50km/h.

Just go to the Eye Surgery desk and say hi, and if any cars are in the way they will move them.

You might well get thru without a charge but I generally (personal pov) like having a bit more in the tank so you can take side trips, drive around at your destination, deal with charging disappointments at your destination etc.

Great tip, as we would be arriving in Ballina on a Saturday afternoon at about 1pm.

Just thinking about this...maybe I'm going to have issues doing this all in reverse? Because while 19-20 hours overnight in Coffs Harbour plugged into 10A should top me back up almost to full (given I'll have left Port Macquarie on a full charge), on the way back down to Sydney I won't be able to get anywhere close to full at Coffs Harbour. So while I can get to the Gold Coast, I may not be able to get back!?!

Great tip, as we would be arriving in Ballina on a Saturday afternoon at about 1pm.

Just thinking about this...maybe I'm going to have issues doing this all in reverse? Because while 19-20 hours overnight in Coffs Harbour plugged into 10A should top me back up almost to full (given I'll have left Port Macquarie on a full charge), on the way back down to Sydney I won't be able to get anywhere close to full at Coffs Harbour. So while I can get to the Gold Coast, I may not be able to get back!?!
While we wait for the superchargers, you may need to buy/borrow either a three phase setup (not too expensive) or a CHAdeMO adapter (about $700). You could meet a Brisbane member (like me) at the UQ CHAdeMO charger and spend a couple of hours to totally fill 'er up.

Thanks Ray, that's very kind of you. But I'll be able to leave the Gold Coast with a full charge on the way back as we've rented a house for a week. Then we'll spend a night or two at a resort in Byron Bay so I'll also have a full charge there. What I'm worried about is that I need to make it from Byron to Port Macquarie or, if I can't do that, I'll need to make it from Byron to Coffs but then at Coffs it's going to be difficult to get much juice in over night (on the way back down to Sydney).

Thanks Ray, that's very kind of you. But I'll be able to leave the Gold Coast with a full charge on the way back as we've rented a house for a week. Then we'll spend a night or two at a resort in Byron Bay so I'll also have a full charge there. What I'm worried about is that I need to make it from Byron to Port Macquarie or, if I can't do that, I'll need to make it from Byron to Coffs but then at Coffs it's going to be difficult to get much juice in over night (on the way back down to Sydney).
Just top up at Ballina again and you'll make it to Port.

Homer, I thought Byron to Port was around 400km so with a range charge and some careful driving I thought you should make the Port SC comfortably?

Awesome guys. Thanks for all the reassurances. For some reason I had it in my (large, thick and, er, yellow) skull that we needed another Supercharger to be able to make the journey up to Brisbane. And I guess we do to make it accessible for the full range of vehicles and also to remove some of the stress around range.

Awesome guys. Thanks for all the reassurances. For some reason I had it in my (large, thick and, er, yellow) skull that we needed another Supercharger to be able to make the journey up to Brisbane. And I guess we do to make it accessible for the full range of vehicles and also to remove some of the stress around range.
If you just consider Ballina to be a (slow) supercharger, it's all sorted as long as you don't do any launches.

Reactions: Homer
Hi, yes there are loads of places to eat around there. A simple walk to cafes, restaurants and even a Woolworths. I stop there at least once a month and charge for an hour and pick up 50 kilometres of charge. You won't have any problems with children, as there are playgrounds along the river and plenty of places to eat

Hi, yes there are loads of places to eat around there. A simple walk to cafes, restaurants and even a Woolworths. I stop there at least once a month and charge for an hour and pick up 50 kilometres of charge. You won't have any problems with children, as there are playgrounds along the river and plenty of places to eat
Hi Vegas,

What about eats around 6-7am in the morning weekdays? Heading south and need a hours top up at Ballina. I'm in a 70D so feeling nervous about going direct from Ballina to Port but going to give it a go!

Hi Vegas,

What about eats around 6-7am in the morning weekdays? Heading south and need a hours top up at Ballina. I'm in a 70D so feeling nervous about going direct from Ballina to Port but going to give it a go!

I can recommend Evolution Cafe, by the water 200m walk from the HPWC.

Having said that, Ballina to Port sounds like a big ask in a 70D. I have a P85+ and I make it from Ballina to Port (or reverse) with around 40kms remaining after a 100% charge.

I can recommend Evolution Cafe, by the water 200m walk from the HPWC.

Having said that, Ballina to Port sounds like a big ask in a 70D. I have a P85+ and I make it from Ballina to Port (or reverse) with around 40kms remaining after a 100% charge.
mmmmmm..... it sounds challenging in my 70D although so far my average Watt per km is around 150 on trips like this, so on paper it works.

LGGD when you do this leg of your journey any passengers or luggage?

Is your average watt per km around 200 similar to "Typical" on this trip?

I have a 3 phase tail just in case if not looking good by Coffs.

mmmmmm..... it sounds challenging in my 70D although so far my average Watt per km is around 150 on trips like this, so on paper it works.

LGGD when you do this leg of your journey any passengers or luggage?

Is your average watt per km around 200 similar to "Typical" on this trip?

I have a 3 phase tail just in case if not looking good by Coffs.
Interesting question @Bullet1 . Do you know how many kWh you can actually get out of your 70D? (e.g. if you have used 48kWh on a trip where the battery level drops fron 90% to 10% then your usable capacity is 60kWh). I only have 80 usable kWh in my 90D and @raynewman mentioned he only has about 75 in his 85, but maybe you are closer than us given your battery is software upgradable to 75. Also 150 is great economy!

Interesting question @Bullet1 . Do you know how many kWh you can actually get out of your 70D? (e.g. if you have used 48kWh on a trip where the battery level drops fron 90% to 10% then your usable capacity is 60kWh). I only have 80 usable kWh in my 90D and @raynewman mentioned he only has about 75 in his 85, but maybe you are closer than us given your battery is software upgradable to 75. Also 150 is great economy!
Hi Richard,

Not sure on usable Kwh in my 70D yet. From research the 60D software limited appears to be limited to 60kwh whereas the 70D software limited from my calcs may be between 62-65kwh. I will do more precise calcs to confirm.