Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fan noise behind driver display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Purchased a pre-owned 2013 Model S for about a month. This morning I noticed a pretty loud noise coming behind the driver display. It sounds like a fan is running. I can feel a little bit of vibration when place my hand on the display. I can hear the sound ALL the time even when the car is off. Tried power cycling multiple times and no luck. The noise disrupted for a brief second and came back on during power cycling.

Anyone experienced this issue and suggestions on how to resolve it? Thank you!

Most likely it's the cooling fan behind the display. Not that difficult to replace if you can find the replacement fan. I had to order one from AliBaba. There are a few threads here covering the display. If you take it apart you may want to replace the screen as well.

I had intermittent fan noise on my 2013. More precisely, I believe it was mechanical interference. For unknown reasons, it mainly happened with the HVAC off. Anyway, I also had a problem with inop navigation so I upgraded to MCU2 and fixed both problems. I made a thread about it but what I just wrote is the gist of it. I guess I should clarify that the dash screen is upgraded as part of the MCU upgrade.

In MCU1 cars (manufactured prior to March 2018) that have not had the infotainment (e.g. MCU2) upgrade, the instrument cluster (IC) is a separate system with its own CPU/motherboard. The fan noise you are hearing is probably the cooling fan running. As to why it is running all the time, I can't say but it might be the fan or something else going bad.

In the MCU2 setup, the IC is just a secondary display with no brains in it so there is no fan hence no fan running noise.

Consider upgrading to the MCU2. It's more than worth the $1500-$2000 (depending on whether you want FM/XM radio).

I've got a March 2022 Model Y (UK), and notice a permanent buzzing noise from below the MCU - sounds like speaker interference - it's at 370Hz frequency.

There's also another pulsing fan/pump noise that is permanently audible (180Hz when the car is awake, drops to 150Hz when I put it into "Power Off" state). No AC running, and the car has been parked for an hour.

It's currently in service with Tesla for these noise issues, and I've made this video to help them diagnose.

If anyone has any further input, it would be greatly appreciated!

Most likely it's the cooling fan behind the display. Not that difficult to replace if you can find the replacement fan. I had to order one from AliBaba. There are a few threads here covering the display. If you take it apart you may want to replace the screen as well.
Hi, I am having the same problem. Can you tell me what you searched for to find the fan? What is it called? And what videos did you use to replace it?
Thank you!!
Nadine

In MCU1 cars (manufactured prior to March 2018) that have not had the infotainment (e.g. MCU2) upgrade, the instrument cluster (IC) is a separate system with its own CPU/motherboard. The fan noise you are hearing is probably the cooling fan running. As to why it is running all the time, I can't say but it might be the fan or something else going bad.

In the MCU2 setup, the IC is just a secondary display with no brains in it so there is no fan hence no fan running noise.

Consider upgrading to the MCU2. It's more than worth the $1500-$2000 (depending on whether you want FM/XM radio).
I know this is a bit of an old comment but I wanted to offer something here regarding upgrading from MCU1.

I have a late 2017 Model S built with an MCU1, enhanced AP (HW2.5).

MCU2 and FSD upgrade completed June 2023. With the new display I do still have a cooling fan behind the primary infotainment screen that will kick into high speed if temp exceeds a cap (threshold is variable depending on vehicle occupancy state, batt charge state, cpu temp, etc). Same noise as before the uograde. Same fan actually. Yep, the fan was not removed on my model and still requires replacement upon failure... like mine just did 😜
The procedure to remove and replace was relatively easy, at least.
Cheers!