Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fan Noise so loud that I have to turn off while at drive thru

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I have the 2019 Model X long range. It has a lot of issues and the technician said it is all normal.

Recently, the fan noise is so loud when I start the car in the garage. it doesn't stop until maybe 5 miles of driving in. Then at times, when I am at the drive thru, it is so loud that I have to turn off the fan in order to place my order.

The tech said that it is normal and that I don't hear it in the gas car because the engine muffles it. But I never had a gas car that i have to turn off the fan to place an order.

Is this normal? It happens when the rear fan is turned on and it causes a vibration on my brakes as well.

The tech ended up charging me $195 because they can't reproduce it.

The tech said that it is normal and that I don't hear it in the gas car because the engine muffles it. But I never had a gas car that i have to turn off the fan to place an order.

That's consistently the most BS argument Tesla techs make for all types of noises. Most modern engines are quieter than the HVAC of the model 3 at near max speed.

This is normal. If it is hot outside and the compressor ramps up to full speed because the cooling system is calling for maximum cooling load for the cabin and other car components, the very large center radiator fan in the Model X can be VERY loud. It is functioning normally. Is this a great design for exterior noise, no, but it is moving a lot of air over the radiator fins to disperse as much heat as possible.

This is normal. If it is hot outside and the compressor ramps up to full speed because the cooling system is calling for maximum cooling load for the cabin and other car components, the very large center radiator fan in the Model X can be VERY loud. It is functioning normally. Is this a great design for exterior noise, no, but it is moving a lot of air over the radiator fins to disperse as much heat as possible.

Mine is so loud when AC is pumping hard (set to 11 and the car is warm), I thought I had something in my brake.

It makes a LOUD hum and vibration through the brake pedal during regen braking. I mean, LOUD. Like, “WTF is that?!” Loud. Like, “should I continue to drive this way or is the motor failing?” Loud.

I found that if I dial down the AC to a 6-7, it goes away.

Do an extended power off reset. Anytime I have had hardware related issues (including problems with the AC not working right) a power off reset has solved them. I can't say I've had an issue the same as what's described here, but I'd recommend that you do the reset to see if the symptom clears... You'll need to power off and wait for a timed 5 minutes before you power up (to return power, press the brake pedal or open the door). Be patient and let the power cycle complete before you touch anything, and watch on power up -- as you may get a car alarm trigger when you do. Be ready with the key fob to disarm (silence it with your normal double-press).

We've had this with our 2013 S, 2017 S and 2018 X - the air conditioner is loud - especially on the outside.

The system can also be loud when it's cooling the battery pack when the vehicle is parked.

Other than the air conditioner, everything else with the vehicles is relatively quiet...

Teslas have huge cooling fans due to being battery powered. While the fans are loud, they do serve the purpose of protecting your expensive battery pack and making your interior comfy.

You will hear even louder noises coming from diesel trucks at idle. Gotta get rid of the heat somehow.

Gonna be over 100º in many parts of SoCal this weekend. Expect the fans to be kickin' on.

Teslas have huge cooling fans due to being battery powered. While the fans are loud, they do serve the purpose of protecting your expensive battery pack and making your interior comfy.

You will hear even louder noises coming from diesel trucks at idle. Gotta get rid of the heat somehow.

Gonna be over 100º in many parts of SoCal this weekend. Expect the fans to be kickin' on.

Big difference between the X and the 3, I'll say that much. The X is a lot "buzzier" with the AC compressor running. Of course most of this is due to the difference in cooling the packs - I didn't expect it to be that stark of a difference... but it is.

last year driving through Utah on our way to Flathead Valley Montana, it was 117°. this is a 15 second snippet of the cooling fans' sound ... & after driving over 50 mi in those temperatures, then hooking up to supercharging? Not that bad imo;

so it shouldn't freak anybody out, really.