Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fan running even with car off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like most of the rest of the continental US, it is hot here. I am in a location where I can't easily charge the car, so I have gone several days without charging. I noticed that 5 - 8 miles disappears off range every day even without driving the car. I happened to come out to the car (without the key fob),which is parked outside, and heard a fan running in the Model S. Since it is about 98 degrees in the shade, I'm thinking that some feature such as a battery cooling system is running to protect the battery against the high surrounding temperatures. I guess this is part of what is taking away some range (in addition to other vampire loads). Have others noticed this? I would think you would see this in places like AZ, if that it what it is.

The battery management system on the Model S is active and will keep the battery in the optimal range to preserve its lifetime. LiIon batteries degrade when hot, so the car is, as you speculated, likely periodically turning on the cooling system to bring battery temps back down.

Notably, this is one of the reasons why Tesla suggests you keep the car plugged in when not in use. If it's plugged in, it'll use outlet power to maintain temp rather than pull power from the batteries.

• Informative
Reactions: Model S M.D.
Like most of the rest of the continental US, it is hot here. I am in a location where I can't easily charge the car, so I have gone several days without charging. I noticed that 5 - 8 miles disappears off range every day even without driving the car. I happened to come out to the car (without the key fob),which is parked outside, and heard a fan running in the Model S. Since it is about 98 degrees in the shade, I'm thinking that some feature such as a battery cooling system is running to protect the battery against the high surrounding temperatures. I guess this is part of what is taking away some range (in addition to other vampire loads). Have others noticed this? I would think you would see this in places like AZ, if that it what it is.

Agree with above, your battery management system is just cooling the battery. Here is a good link for Model S noises: Sounds of Tesla Vehicles | TeslaTap