Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fan when charging twice as loud after annual service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My first thought was that they cleaned the fan so it's pulling more air .. but wanted to check and see if this is normal. It's crazy loud, like I can hear it in my house through two walls loud. Same sound, like a loud fan, just twice as loud as before. Should I be concerned? This is charging on 110v in standard mode.

Have a look on your service report. Did they 'upgrade' the fans for free? The 'new' fans are at least twice as loud as the old ones, but that was a service bulletin from a few years ago.
Doesn't mention that at all. Just says "Annual service" and "Performed Annual Service". No details on what they did at all.

Front fans or rear fans ?
Whatever goes on when you charge - sounds like a very loud fan and the recirc pump goes on? I'm no expert on these things. It's just so so so much louder than before the service.

I can't speak for your "before" but, the front fans on my 2.5, when they kick on during charging, I can hear them through two walls in my house as well (car is out on the carport).

Also, if you're standing near the car, you can feel the massive amount of air that they're moving when they're running.

My first thought was that they cleaned the fan so it's pulling more air .. but wanted to check and see if this is normal. It's crazy loud, like I can hear it in my house through two walls loud. Same sound, like a loud fan, just twice as loud as before. Should I be concerned? This is charging on 110v in standard mode.

Maybe your garage is warmer than before?

Was this your first annual? I know Tesla made some changes in the past via firmware to make the front fans push more air, but that was quite some years ago. I wouldn't see them having to mess with that again. I know the rear blowers are super loud on the 2.x's but the fronts are the same in terms of how loud they get. Possibly the ESS was really hot that day and the fans ran longer than normal catching your attention.

Regarding heat, no, this was last night at midnight, garage was cool. It's been loud both times I've charged since the annual.

First annual? Well, sort of. previous ones by the last owner were done by a Ranger, so this is the first one in a real shop. I think if they replaced or upgraded anything they would have mentioned it and put it on the report..

I think if they replaced or upgraded anything they would have mentioned it and put it on the report..

Typically they do mention any firmware upgrades, but then again its Tesla which can different results / documentation practices from shop to shop.

You can dump the logs and parse for the firmware upgrade revision history if you're really curious if it was indeed rev'd.

Doesn't mention that at all. Just says "Annual service" and "Performed Annual Service". No details on what they did at all.

Whatever goes on when you charge - sounds like a very loud fan and the recirc pump goes on? I'm no expert on these things. It's just so so so much louder than before the service.

If it's the front fan, it could also be that they overfilled the HVAC ( i had this two yearly maintenances in a row ) , which results in HVAC compressor overtemps and highpressures, and the fans will keep running forever....

If it's the front fan, it could also be that they overfilled the HVAC ( i had this two yearly maintenances in a row ) , which results in HVAC compressor overtemps and highpressures, and the fans will keep running forever....
It sounds like it's coming from the rear, but when you say HVAC do you mean air conditioning refrigerant for the A/C in the cabin? They did do an A/C service for me including recharging the system, but I don't know what that would have to do with the fans/pumps that run during charging.

If you meant the coolant that circulates around the batteries, isn't that flushed with every annual service?

I think you're confusing people, you'll need to state which fans (front or rear), not just say whatever comes on when charging, that the noise is coming from. If you're now saying the rear of the car is where the noise is loudest and has become louder than before, than that's the rear blower. But I'm starting to thing this might be subjective now. Just saying, you need to quantify what your problem is so people are not just sling-shotting random ideas back and forth which does not help anyone.

By the way, the rear blowers are extremely loud on the 2.x when charging. When I borrowed a 2.0 that thing was obnoxiously loud! I think my neighbors would complain if I made that type of noise everyday.... My 1.5 is rather quiet and happy it stays that way. The rear blowers don't need to run while charging, only the front fans. The 2.x sends air from the noisly blower up into the PEM, the 1.5 does not, it has its own on-board fan that's rather silent.

Last edited:
Reactions: BartJ
It sounds like it's coming from the rear, but when you say HVAC do you mean air conditioning refrigerant for the A/C in the cabin? They did do an A/C service for me including recharging the system, but I don't know what that would have to do with the fans/pumps that run during charging.

If you meant the coolant that circulates around the batteries, isn't that flushed with every annual service?
The car uses the A/C system to keep the battery cool. If you're running the A/C and the batteries get too warm, the car will elect to cool the batteries instead of the cabin. It's all the same system.

At my service last month, there were originally going to charge me extra to flush the battery coolant, so I don't think it's done each time. However, my battery had been pulled recently, and they did have to replace the coolant at that time.

The car uses the A/C system to keep the battery cool.

The fans might also be blowing much harder during charging if the A/C doesn't cool as good as needed. The RS tries to take really good care of the battery temperature and uses the A/C also when charging.
My RS is going in for A/C repair exactly to get this fixed (less front fan noise during charging and to keep my cabin cool this summer)

As a side effect my charging speed should return to normal as the A/C and high fan speed is eating into some of the Amps while charging.