Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fancy a laugh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Collect my M3P next week. My insurance broker contacted Aviva who currently do our fleet policy (it’s a company car but it’s my company).

Aviva were as helpful as I think they could be but they told the broker the following:

1. We’re concerned that Teslas will catch fire
  2. We think they are quite steal-able
  3. We’re concerned about parts prices
  4. We don’t really like Teslas
I’ll concede on point 3, it’s going to cost insurers a bomb to fix them due to the new to the market issue. But the others are straight out the daily mail comments section and not supported by the facts. The insurers just don’t have the facts at their fingertips yet so they are essentially guessing.

So the premium to add it to the fleet, only about £900, not too bad?

The excess.....£6000 in all circumstances. I had to get the broker to repeat that.

We’re exploring alternatives!

• Funny
Reactions: Fraank and Sherlo
Aviva have never liked Tesla’s, it’s not a change of stance. There have been quite a few S & X’s stolen using the key fob booster trick, and the cars all disappeared without trace - straight over the Channel in a container and chopped up for parts. It was the Tesla Owners Group that lobbied Tesla HQ which resulted in the PIN to Drive OTA feature a year or so ago. I don’t think the 3 has the same vulnerability but Aviva won’t know or care too much about that.

You’re right about the parts issue too, it takes an age for them to arrive and anecdotally half the time when they do send them over they send the wrong ones, or incomplete so the job can’t be finished. Some of the quotes I’ve seen from the approved body shops are eye watering, so put that together it doesn’t surprise me Aviva don’t want to play the game.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
My company’s fleet insurance is also with Aviva. They wanted silly money to add a LR AWD and also wanted to raise the minimum age limit to 25.

I asked our broker to find an alternative insurer with no joy, either silly money or refused.

I have had to purchase and insure the vehicle personally

Fleet insurance is going to need to come up to speed with EV's, or get lost in the game.

Many company owners may get a personal Tesla. If their insurance company will not competitively cover that car, the owner will most likely take the entire fleet elseware.

Due to economics and governmental restrictions, many companies will be electrifying some of their fleet.

More likely Tesla will have to get their supply chain sorted out. I like Tesla (obviously) but spinning this as anti-EV sentiment is disingenuous, I think. Tesla repair costs and parts availability is and should be a concern for underwriters currently.

Last edited:
The tax incentives for EVs over ICE are also very much greater for a business buyer than a personal buyer, with accelerated first year capital allowances, so it seems likely EV sales would be disproportionately weighted this way. My insurer struggled to do it as normal in our fleet but luckily they were OK to use effectively a personal policy for a business vehicle. You might be able to do the same?

Reactions: benclear
Most of my insurance policies have been with Aviva. Until that is, I called them up for a quote on my M3. They asked me if I had any experience with high performance cars. I said plenty (in my youth I stole rides in my friend's dad's Ferrari 328GT, that counts). They then gave me a ridiculous quote. I took my business elsewhere.

• Funny
Reactions: tess19
The tax incentives for EVs over ICE are also very much greater for a business buyer than a personal buyer, with accelerated first year capital allowances, so it seems likely EV sales would be disproportionately weighted this way. My insurer struggled to do it as normal in our fleet but luckily they were OK to use effectively a personal policy for a business vehicle. You might be able to do the same?

Cheers Luke,

That is my backup option, getting reasonable quotes for private cover, just need to get the insurers to agree the company is the registered keeper.

Things will shift soon, so many Model 3’s heading into fleets due to the amazing incentives, insurers will have to catch up.

Cheers Luke,

That is my backup option, getting reasonable quotes for private cover, just need to get the insurers to agree the company is the registered keeper.

Things will shift soon, so many Model 3’s heading into fleets due to the amazing incentives, insurers will have to catch up.

I had some success on the phone with Direct Line in this regard but I ended up leaning on a good relationship with my business insurer, for reasons of simplicity and quality rather than cost. No claims bonus is difficult to back up with the right paperwork if your recent history is with a business/fleet policy, although it may not make as much difference as you expect.