Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fancy new trim??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone got any insight if it’s possible to swap the aluminum/ silver interior trim for the new Gunmetal/ grey trim? I assume it’d be a complex process from the door trim being implanted in the panels.

I would think most of the trim pieces are on Tesla’s catalog...

Reactions: viper2ko
Wow, I can't believe I found your post as I'd like exactly the opposite, but Gunmetal/ grey trim is on my 2018 Model X. I just love the bright aluminum trim, which I have on my 2015 Model S. Do you think the MX trim will fit the MS? I doubt it.

Has anyone got any insight if it’s possible to swap the aluminum/ silver interior trim for the new Gunmetal/ grey trim? I assume it’d be a complex process from the door trim being implanted in the panels.

I would think most of the trim pieces are on Tesla’s catalog...

I just got a loaner 75D while my P90D is in for a few fixes. I would love to do this as well. I'm guessing it would probably be easier/cheaper to vinyl wrap it though.

I’d buy a can of plati dip and do it myself.

Replacing the panels I’d be worried that a rattle will pop up from a loose piece of trim

I've removed many panels over the years as a DIY'er. The plastic clips every manufacturer uses seem to hold the panels slightly less tight after going through a removal/reinstall cycle. I learned early on to replace all of them when you take a panel off. It avoids the worst case scenario of getting a rattle and having to pull it again just to replace one or more clips. Also, they can be rather fragile, so one or more are likely to break when coming off. You need to have a couple spares on hand for that situation anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: selfbp and AMPd
I've removed many panels over the years as a DIY'er. The plastic clips every manufacturer uses seem to hold the panels slightly less tight after going through a removal/reinstall cycle. I learned early on to replace all of them when you take a panel off. It avoids the worst case scenario of getting a rattle and having to pull it again just to replace one or more clips. Also, they can be rather fragile, so one or more are likely to break when coming off. You need to have a couple spares on hand for that situation anyway.

That's my experience, too. In fact, the door trim panel clips that are used on Model S and X (not sure about Model 3) are one time use and Tesla says to replace them any time that the trim panel is removed.