TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Fantastic new article covering the myths of EVs!

Discussion in 'News' started by Mycroft, Feb 8, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

From MediaMatters For America, February 8, 2012: "Myths And Facts About Electric Cars"

Excellent web page to bookmark and send to your EV hating friends!

2. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

Very informative page. Thanks for finding and posting it. I still cannot understand what compels those to bash EVs. They breathe the same air as everyone else.

3. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Isn't that an oxymoron?

4. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Voltage makes me tingle.

Any friends that hate EVs generally end up on the evening news as corpses at the bottom of a cliff.

Err....just kidding...did I say that out loud?

5. grisnjam

grisnjam P6316

Thanks, my favorite line: "conservative media outlets have repeatedly misled consumers".

Now there's a real shocker ....

6. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Nice, shared all around.

7. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

That's me :biggrin:

8. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

that belongs in the occupation thread :tongue:

9. richkae

richkae VIN587

One caveat about the page, it gets a lot of its data from and links to a US DOE page with pretty graphs about the sources of electricity to calculate the annual pounds of CO2 - but that US DOE page appears to be using data from 2005.
    I went to this page: Electric Power Monthly and did some math. Electricity in 2011 is a lot cleaner than it was in 2005. Coal is down from 49.61% to 42.81% and natural gas is up from 18.77% to 24.39%
    They should update it or make a note that the data is from 2005 or something.

10. richkae

richkae VIN587

According to my rough calculations, the exact same EV from 2005 produces 11% less CO2 in 2011.
    Fulfilling the promise of electric vehicles benefiting from improvements in the energy grid.

11. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Is this something you can send to the authors?