Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fantasy desired Tesla features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, some changes I would make as soon as penguinly possible:

- Navigation MUST offer a choice between north-up and track-up orientation.
- Volume needs MUCH finer granularity. 11 steps are nowhere near enough... 30 or more, please.
- Offer the option to buy more storage for music, or to plug in an extra SSD for more music
- Rear-seat power (AC or DC) so the kids can play or do whatever...
- A third and more aggressive regen setting (call it "sport")
- Choice of codecs and bitrates for stored music (so I can use much higher-quality settings)
- Remote control/notification of some things via an app. For example, let me start the A/C while I'm still in the mall so the car cools down.
- As many things as possible should be configured into the driver's profile, so the use of your key fob makes it "yours" as much as possible
- Ability to send an address or route to my car over the Internet, or to edit its contacts/addressbook remotely
- Ability to access my car's music storage over the network, so I can upload music or video, or ability to "sync" car with computer
- Voice commands to the car (see below, too)

Then, some other things that'll take a little more time...

- Downloadable logs like the Roadster, so I can track a ton of things about my car's life and performance
- Adaptive cruise control, capable of bringing the car to a full stop in the shortest distance physically possible.
- Dual-motor all-wheel-drive for maximum performance
- 300-mile real-world range (85 mph, A/C maxed, with some passing and acceleration involved)
- The ability to fit significantly wider tires (say, up to 285/30) for disgusting amounts of grip
- Ability to put transponders in the nosecone
- More in-car storage options (doors with fold-out pockets, like the 2009 BMW 3-series, and options for opportunity console)
- Xenon or HID (best technology available) headlights that turn to follow a curve
- Powered folding mirrors
- Heated steering wheel
- Heated and COOLED front seats
- Voice commands to the car which are able to recognize and ignore the music being played

That's all I've got for today... :)

Great list. The volume issue has been addressed with one of the recent software updates where it takes about 3 clicks to go up one digit in volume.

They are working on an iPhone and Android app so some of those other issues might get addressed is well.

Last edited:
I listed that one because my previous BMW experience with voice commands was very good, so long as you had the radio off. If the music was on, voice recognition went straight to pot. Seems like a not-very-demanding task for the car's computer to listen simultaneously to you and the sound system, then "subtract" the sound system's waveforms from your recording. Even if it weren't perfect and you still may have wind or other noise in the car, it would IMHO dramatically improve the quality and usability of voice recognition without requiring huge degrees of invention, work, or resources.

Forgot one that I really care about: body-colored door handles! I hate the look of the current ones... I want a sleeper in every way. :)

Having the handles pop out upon proximity detection with the key fob has already been discussed, but it's worth another +1.

For Fun - Feature Request

Whether through the mentioned but not confirmed SDK or through Tesla themselves how about posting your fun ideas here! You know ideas like an option that when you click and roll down all the windows the car will play your favorite audio. So you can open your garage door and say "The 2012 Tesla Model S Signature Performance. Less than 1200 were made." And Oh Yeah by Yello can start playing. :biggrin:
[video]http://i.cdn.turner.com/v5cache/TCM/cvp/container/mediaroom_embed.swf?context=embed&videoId=282977" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><embed src="http://i.cdn.turner.com/v5cache/TCM/cvp/container/mediaroom_embed.swf?context=embed&videoId=282977[/video]

Or being able to talk to your Tesla like it's HAL 9000.
"Open the rear hatch HAL."
"Affirmative Dave"

"Open the pod bay door HAL"
"I'm afraid I can't do that"