TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

FAQ: Home Tesla charging infrastructure Q&A

Discussion in 'North America' started by FlasherZ, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Randy Spencer

Randy Spencer Active Member

#481 Randy Spencer, Apr 29, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    Don't get it
    You don't have a 48 Amp charger if you have a 100 pack?
    It's not a standard if you have a 100 pack?
    It doesn't make sense for residential installs if you have a 100 pack?

I assume the limit to the charger is related to cost vs. charge time. If I drove 300 miles to work and back and it takes me 10 hours to recharge overnight vs taking 5 hours but much more expensive and I am still sleeping. Probably makes sense, but I would like to hear Tesla's reasoning.

48 amps is pretty good on the TM3, if I had an X I would really want more speed.

-Randy

2. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

You cannot buy a Tesla with anything other than 48A charging now, of any flavor.

Actually I just heard one quite legitimate use of 80A charger - potential owner doesn't have anywhere to charge, but goes to his father-in-law's place for dinner 1-2x a week, and he's willing to install a charger. This is perfectly doable charger 2-4 hours a week (would be 40-80% SoC per week) would have plenty of charge to do weekly driving. Becomes less plausible charging half as fast.

• Disagree x 1
  3. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Gee, I would be thrilled to have my SIL freeload on dinners twice a week and also fill up his "tank" at the most expensive time-of-day electric rates. :(

4. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

5. Randy Spencer

Randy Spencer Active Member

48A is not half, but I do wonder if it, paired with the original SR Model 3's 32 AMP charger was planned to be available to create a 100 amp charger for the Model S/Xs. Seems a shame to have such an expensive car and the guy down the street with the cheap Tesla can fill his long-range battery in 2/3rds the time you can.

-Randy

6. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

I have no idea what Tesla is thinking here. Home charging is need of a serious upgrade. All I've seen over the past 6 years is Tesla continually reducing home charging speeds in many different ways. In addition to that, efficiency seems to have hardly changed. 92% efficiency is good, but it's certainly not limited by technology. They could produce a 98-99% efficient charger, which would immediately be reflected in their EPA stickers.

Seriously, WTF.

7. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

No, Model 3 Standard Range (and plus) has 32A Charger.

8. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

You missed my point. Who cares, that's even worse. 48A is the best you can do.