Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FAQ: MCU2 Upgrades

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What will the recall mean for:

- Owners that paid for repeat service visits
- Owners that paid for daughterboard replacement
- Owners that paid for MCU2 upgrade/replacement

Reading here, there have been people already who had a replacement MCU1 or just the memory and was quoted the same $2,500 for the MCU2 upgrade even though Tesla was already opening things up to replace the original part. Given that, I don’t there there will be anything for those who had chosen to upgrade to MCU2.

But, it would be fair to reimburse all associated costs for prior repairs to the original part and upgrade the existing part if needed for free. But I think no subsidies or refunds for MCU2 work will be provided IMO.

But, it would be fair to reimburse all associated costs for prior repairs to the original part and upgrade the existing part if needed for free. But I think no subsidies or refunds for MCU2 work will be provided IMO.

I was successful in requesting a credit for my previous SC visit. A credit was applied to my MCU2 upgrade. I feel that was fair. I brought in for MCU1 service in Sept and ended up requesting an MCU2 upgrade with the FM/XM module in Dec.

I was successful in requesting a credit for my previous SC visit. A credit was applied to my MCU2 upgrade. I feel that was fair. I brought in for MCU1 service in Sept and ended up requesting an MCU2 upgrade with the FM/XM module in Dec.

Interesting.
So, you went in initially to fix the MCU1 issue and ended up just upgrading to MCU2 but at full upgrade cost? And then you recently asked them for a credit on the MCU2 upgrade because of this latest recall notice? If that’s the case, mind sharing how much was the refund?

Interesting.
So, you went in initially to fix the MCU1 issue and ended up just upgrading to MCU2 but at full upgrade cost? And then you recently asked them for a credit on the MCU2 upgrade because of this latest recall notice? If that’s the case, mind sharing how much was the refund?

The service in Sept was ~$250 and it was useless. However, now I am kinda hot because I just learned Model S/X MCU upgrade is reduced to $1,500 for vehicles built prior to March 2018. I just had mine completed on the 5 days ago...

Infotainment Upgrade

The service in Sept was ~$250 and it was useless. However, now I am kinda hot because I just learned Model S/X MCU upgrade is reduced to $1,500 for vehicles built prior to March 2018. I just had mine completed on the 5 days ago...
Infotainment Upgrade
If the price today was raised to $3500 would you then be "cold" and offer to pay Tesla $1000 difference.
Prices of products and services across the world change every day.
(and yes I paid $2500 for my MCU2 upgrade)

If the price today was raised to $3500 would you then be "cold" and offer to pay Tesla $1000 difference.
Prices of products and services across the world change every day.
(and yes I paid $2500 for my MCU2 upgrade)

I understand pricing can change. A price increase due to improvements is reasonable - in my own opinion. A price decrease that is perceived to be a response associated with a faulty item is something different, again, my own opinion. Some owners went the MCU2 route due to failure or poor performance of MCU1. The option at that time was to replace with a unit that will have the same issue or resolve the issue by replacing/upgrading to MCU2.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy with the results of the upgrade. A window for a price adjustment, even if I was out of that window would be fair. Again, just my own humble opinions.

I understand pricing can change. A price increase due to improvements is reasonable - in my own opinion. A price decrease that is perceived to be a response associated with a faulty item is something different, again, my own opinion. Some owners went the MCU2 route due to failure or poor performance of MCU1. The option at that time was to replace with a unit that will have the same issue or resolve the issue by replacing/upgrading to MCU2.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy with the results of the upgrade. A window for a price adjustment, even if I was out of that window would be fair. Again, just my own humble opinions.
Glad you are happy. Re: poor perf of MCU1 -- Yes the eMMC was one thing but people upgrade their PCs regularly because of faster hardware and software that can then take advantage of it.
I'm very happy with the several things that the MCU2 upgrade provides which is mainly faster processing and better hardware.
When people purchase the MCU2 upgrade they told us the price and that is what we agreed to. We got what we wanted for the price we agreed on.

AT73NW1.jpg

Via: What's an MCU? Which MCU do I have? What's the difference between MCU & FSD? Why does my car not get the latest software features? How do I speed up my MCU?

Reactions: aloha1906
Is there an active thread regarding how Tesla is currently handling the recall? I've been denied reimbursement for the repair to replace a MCU1 that failed in 2018. Curious how the experience is going for other owners.
Did Tesla replace it or 3rd party? I don't think there is a active thread, however the eMMC thread has some people talking about reimbursement. AFAIK not a single one has been reimbursed. I'm aware of one that escalated at a SC and received a credit for future service from their co-pay on repair since they had extended warranty.

Reactions: GSP
Did Tesla replace it or 3rd party? I don't think there is a active thread, however the eMMC thread has some people talking about reimbursement. AFAIK not a single one has been reimbursed. I'm aware of one that escalated at a SC and received a credit for future service from their co-pay on repair since they had extended warranty.
Tesla replaced it out of warranty. Cost was about 2500.

Thanks for the reply.

I recently replaced my main battery $14k. Tesla lost my key fob and said it’s okay use your app, which I pulled up and we waited 5 minutes for it to connect. 5 days after my car went into a coma and wouldn’t wake up. Tesla sent out a tech, who couldn’t wake it up, and sent it to Tesla. Tesla’s AMAZING customer service told me how my car is 10 years old and it was coincidental and $1850 to replace MCU1 to MCU2 which was the problem and the battery replacement had nothing to do with it. I did my own research thank you to this forum and knew I’d lose an/fm, but it was nice how Tesla never informed me of this. I now have my vehicle back Theatre is blank, I tried changing the name, soft reset, change language and nothing worked. Mobile tech came out pushed an upgrade and still no theatre.