Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FAQ: MCU2 Upgrades

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, so I think it's in the best interest of the community to have a sticky on what is and is NOT included with the Infotainment (aka MCU) upgrade, and to further clarify that it is separate from FSD (also referenced by APE/AP/HW3)

Q: I Paid for FSD, do I get MCU2 for free?
A: No. HW3 and MCU2 are completely separate.

Q: I didn't pay for FSD, do I get MCU2 for free?
A: No.

Q: Does FSD require MCU2?
A: No. You will likely not get all the visualizations on IC1 (Instrument cluster).

Q: What is replaced with the upgrade?
A: MCU1 and IC1 are removed, MCU2 and IC2 are installed. Software magic happens behind the scenes and voila!

Q: No AM/FM/XM radio? WhAt ThE HeCk TeSlA? How is this an upgrade when they're taking things away?
A: The tuner for the MCU2 system is different than for the MCU1. All autos with MCU2 have the digital tuner that includes either FM or FM / XM. MCU2 cars DO NOT HAVE AM RADIO. Tesla is likely NOT upgrading the tuner, which is a separate module that lives in the dash behind the steering wheel. While it's not impossible to get it to, it is difficult to change out and Tesla has decided it's not in their best interests to do it.

Q: So can I get FM/XM back?
A; Yet to be seen. Maybe it can be installed by Tesla, maybe it can be installed by the user if so inclined.

Q: Can I buy the tuner from Tesla?
A: Yes, supposedly. P/N w XM - 1143711-00-C. P/N w/o XM - 1143703-00-C

Q: Can I keep my MCU1 / IC1?
A: We don't know. There will likely be a core charge based on the history of MCU1 out of warranty replacements. Tesla might just make the core charge so exorbitant that it won't be worth it.

Q: My MCU1 died, will I get an MCU2 for free under warranty?
A: We don't know. HIGHLY unlikely at this point. down the road? Maybe?

Q: What will happen to the price of the MCU1 replacement now?
A: We don't know.

Q: Who killed the radio star?
A: Video did....video did.

Any chance we could sticky this? would clean up the MCU upgrade threads and (hopefully) alleviate some confusion.

Awesome. Any way you can continue to edit this first post, so we don’t have to read the follow-ups? I have seen this done with some of the other wiki-like pages.

WhereTF was this dumped?
1A854F29-B74E-4133-8E43-A7FDF6F8B8B9.gif

Reactions: ekendahl
It’s a shame that the moderators didn’t make the main post editable or at least gave @Trebek1762 instructions for how to create a wiki. Instead they moved this into a place that I don’t normally follow. Only reason I see this thread is because I’m subscribed to it. Would never have seen it otherwise. A shame.

Reactions: Merle
Does the MCU include the actual screen, or just the control electronics? If so, have there been issues with yellow borders on the MCU2 units ?

Also can anyone confirm if the new MCU2s installed will carry a 4 year parts warranty ?

We don't know. Yes. (But think it has been resolved for newer vehicles.) We don't know. (But it is likely since buying a MCU out of warranty comes with a 4-year warranty.)

Ok, so I think it's in the best interest of the community to have a sticky on what is and is NOT included with the Infotainment (aka MCU) upgrade, and to further clarify that it is separate from FSD (also referenced by APE/AP/HW3)

Q: I Paid for FSD, do I get MCU2 for free?
A: No. HW3 and MCU2 are completely separate.

Q: I didn't pay for FSD, do I get MCU2 for free?
A: No.

Q: Does FSD require MCU2?
A: No. You will likely not get all the visualizations on IC1 (Instrument cluster).

Q: What is replaced with the upgrade?
A: MCU1 and IC1 are removed, MCU2 and IC2 are installed. Software magic happens behind the scenes and voila!

Q: No AM/FM/XM radio? WhAt ThE HeCk TeSlA? How is this an upgrade when they're taking things away?
A: The tuner for the MCU2 system is different than for the MCU1. All autos with MCU2 have the digital tuner that includes either FM or FM / XM. MCU2 cars DO NOT HAVE AM RADIO. Tesla is likely NOT upgrading the tuner, which is a separate module that lives in the dash behind the steering wheel. While it's not impossible to get it to, it is difficult to change out and Tesla has decided it's not in their best interests to do it.

Q: So can I get FM/XM back?
A; Yet to be seen. Maybe it can be installed by Tesla, maybe it can be installed by the user if so inclined.

Q: Can I buy the tuner from Tesla?
A: Yes, supposedly. P/N w XM - 1143711-00-C. P/N w/o XM - 1143703-00-C

Q: Can I keep my MCU1 / IC1?
A: We don't know. There will likely be a core charge based on the history of MCU1 out of warranty replacements. Tesla might just make the core charge so exorbitant that it won't be worth it.

Q: My MCU1 died, will I get an MCU2 for free under warranty?
A: We don't know. HIGHLY unlikely at this point. down the road? Maybe?

Q: What will happen to the price of the MCU1 replacement now?
A: We don't know.

Q: Who killed the radio star?
A: Video did....video did.

Q: Will I get 5G Cellular connectivity with the MCU2 Upgrade?
A: NO. You only get 5GHz WiFI added

Q: What about AP1 cars?
A; IDK. I know there's some significant re-pinning that needs to be done on AP1 cars. Tesla hasn't stated what that will entail.

Q; What will happen to my premium connectivity?
A: Nothing. If you have it now, you're grandfathered in and you'll have it after the upgrade. There is no indication that it will be taken away or that you will have to pay the $10/month.

Q; What happens if I've got 3G Now and I upgrade to MCU2?
A: You'll get 4G/LTE with MCU2

Q; I have EAP now, what will FSD get me?
A: A new HW3 computer, smart summon....I think that's about it. EAP is pretty sweet.

Q: Will I Get a new screen with the MCU2 Upgrade?
A: Probably.

Q: Does IC1 have to be replaced?
A: On AP2 and AP2.5 absolutely. No idea on AP1. IC2 is basically a screen that is run from the MCU2. IC1 on the other hand is it's own system that can run independent of MCU1, but they communicate over the car network. IC1 won't work with MCU2. period

Any chance we could sticky this? would clean up the MCU upgrade threads and (hopefully) alleviate some confusion.

I purchased FSD and have no intention of shelling out another $2500 for MCU2. That being said, if the visualization is not here, every time (hypothetically) the car wants to make a stop behind a red light, I'm not really sure if the car sees the light and going to stop or not. So effectively I can not rely on the FSD to do its job. How is that going to work without proper visualization?

• Helpful
Reactions: Energy Dreamer
I purchased FSD and have no intention of shelling out another $2500 for MCU2. That being said, if the visualization is not here, every time (hypothetically) the car wants to make a stop behind a red light, I'm not really sure if the car sees the light and going to stop or not. So effectively I can not rely on the FSD to do its job. How is that going to work without proper visualization?

The point of FSD is that you can sleep while it drives. You shouldn't have to monitor it at all or it isn't FSD.

The point of FSD is that you can sleep while it drives. You shouldn't have to monitor it at all or it isn't FSD.
I actually have 100% confidence that my car will not achieve that. The version I'll be getting is going to be a beta version and will stay like that until my car breaks down. So till then I'd rather be safe putting the car on self-driving mode.