Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FAQ: MCU2 Upgrades

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, so you can apparently only edit posts for 60 minutes and apparently less than 20 minutes after you make a thread...what a buzzkill...

Q; I have EAP now, what will FSD get me?

A: A new HW3 computer, smart summon....I think that's about it. EAP is pretty sweet.

Q: Will I Get a new screen with the MCU2 Upgrade?
A: Probably.

Q: Does IC1 have to be replaced?
A: On AP2 and AP2.5 absolutely. No idea on AP1. IC2 is basically a screen that is run from the MCU2. IC1 on the other hand is it's own system that can run independent of MCU1, but they communicate over the car network. IC1 won't work with MCU2. period

I’m toddling with the idea of purchasing FSD (have EAP with HW2.5) but still haven’t convinced myself that it’s a value added option AND will change the resale value of the car over just selling it as is and buying a 2020 MS or other. I have a 2017 Model S 100D with EAP.

Anyone out there with thoughts or ideas or some data about resale value of non-FSD and FSD equipped cars would be very helpful.

Ok, so I think it's in the best interest of the community to have a sticky on what is and is NOT included with the Infotainment (aka MCU) upgrade, and to further clarify that it is separate from FSD (also referenced by APE/AP/HW3)

Q: I Paid for FSD, do I get MCU2 for free?
A: No. HW3 and MCU2 are completely separate.

Q: I didn't pay for FSD, do I get MCU2 for free?
A: No.

Q: Does FSD require MCU2?
A: No. You will likely not get all the visualizations on IC1 (Instrument cluster).

Q: What is replaced with the upgrade?
A: MCU1 and IC1 are removed, MCU2 and IC2 are installed. Software magic happens behind the scenes and voila!

Q: No AM/FM/XM radio? WhAt ThE HeCk TeSlA? How is this an upgrade when they're taking things away?
A: The tuner for the MCU2 system is different than for the MCU1. All autos with MCU2 have the digital tuner that includes either FM or FM / XM. MCU2 cars DO NOT HAVE AM RADIO. Tesla is likely NOT upgrading the tuner, which is a separate module that lives in the dash behind the steering wheel. While it's not impossible to get it to, it is difficult to change out and Tesla has decided it's not in their best interests to do it.

Q: So can I get FM/XM back?
A; Yet to be seen. Maybe it can be installed by Tesla, maybe it can be installed by the user if so inclined.

Q: Can I buy the tuner from Tesla?
A: Yes, supposedly. P/N w XM - 1143711-00-C. P/N w/o XM - 1143703-00-C

Q: Can I keep my MCU1 / IC1?
A: We don't know. There will likely be a core charge based on the history of MCU1 out of warranty replacements. Tesla might just make the core charge so exorbitant that it won't be worth it.

Q: My MCU1 died, will I get an MCU2 for free under warranty?
A: We don't know. HIGHLY unlikely at this point. down the road? Maybe?

Q: What will happen to the price of the MCU1 replacement now?
A: We don't know.

Q: Who killed the radio star?
A: Video did....video did.

Q: Will I get 5G Cellular connectivity with the MCU2 Upgrade?
A: NO. You only get 5GHz WiFI added

Q: What about AP1 cars?
A; IDK. I know there's some significant re-pinning that needs to be done on AP1 cars. Tesla hasn't stated what that will entail.

Q; What will happen to my premium connectivity?
A: Nothing. If you have it now, you're grandfathered in and you'll have it after the upgrade. There is no indication that it will be taken away or that you will have to pay the $10/month.

Q; What happens if I've got 3G Now and I upgrade to MCU2?
A: You'll get 4G/LTE with MCU2

Q; I have EAP now, what will FSD get me?
A: A new HW3 computer, smart summon....I think that's about it. EAP is pretty sweet.

Q: Will I Get a new screen with the MCU2 Upgrade?
A: Probably.

Q: Does IC1 have to be replaced?
A: On AP2 and AP2.5 absolutely. No idea on AP1. IC2 is basically a screen that is run from the MCU2. IC1 on the other hand is it's own system that can run independent of MCU1, but they communicate over the car network. IC1 won't work with MCU2. period

Any chance we could sticky this? would clean up the MCU upgrade threads and (hopefully) alleviate some confusion.
Great information. Question. I have a 2015 MS 70D with AP1 and MCU1. Will this paid upgrade provide AP2 and MCU2? Or just MCU2? Sounds like a new screen for higher resolution?

Q: My MCU1 died, will I get an MCU2 for free under warranty?
A: We don't know. HIGHLY unlikely at this point. down the road? Maybe?

I'm in exactly that position. CPO Model S still under CPO warranty, MCU1 died during a demo at an EV event for grid controllers.
Contacted Tesla for service, MCU1 deemed dead and needs replacement. Including Parts & Labor $2,300. But under warranty, so no charge. But FOUR weeks later still no replacement parts available. Did I mention that at the time of failure, SOC was set to 100% and the HVAC was off. Oh, and for good measure the car will not supercharge.

I asked if Tesla would do a deal and knock $2,300 off the price of an MCU2 replacement. They emphatically said NO. They will only replace the MCU1 with another MCU1. "Unfortunately your warranty only covers components that are currently installed on your vehicle not retrofits. If you would like to upgrade the cost is $2,500."

Service currently booked for April 1st. Fingers crossed that they will keep this appointment and will have the parts.

You can't edit it, I would think as the OP you should be able to? (I tested and I can.) I wonder what the criteria are for who can edit it...
I See that...however the post does state
"The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions."

apparently I don't have the appropriate permissions...

Has anyone ever posted pictures showing how to add the XM module, meaning tearing down the dash and such? I understand that Tesla might not want to spend the time, but I might want to. I have a two month old M3, so it otherwise has the newer circuit boards.

Ok, so I think it's in the best interest of the community to have a sticky on what is and is NOT included with the Infotainment (aka MCU) upgrade, and to further clarify that it is separate from FSD (also referenced by APE/AP/HW3)

Q: No AM/FM/XM radio? WhAt ThE HeCk TeSlA? How is this an upgrade when they're taking things away?
A: The tuner for the MCU2 system is different than for the MCU1. All autos with MCU2 have the digital tuner that includes either FM or FM / XM. MCU2 cars DO NOT HAVE AM RADIO. Tesla is likely NOT upgrading the tuner, which is a separate module that lives in the dash behind the steering wheel. While it's not impossible to get it to, it is difficult to change out and Tesla has decided it's not in their best interests to do it.

Do I understand you correctly to mean that recent Model S's (since March 2018) that are sold with MCU2 natively do actually have the ability to do XM ? (and upgraded ones do not) ?

I have a 2015 Model S with a lot of problems. Some appear to me at least related to a failing eMMC flash memory IC. Another problem is an apparently delaminating IC1 screen which looks bad but is still functional (I'm not talking about the 17" touch screen here, which is perfect). I have a service visit booked for Friday the 13th of March 2020 to replace the delaminating screen and fix the inability to install update 2020.4.1
Should I hold out for MCU2 and IC2 rather than get a second IC1 display installed and maybe get the eMMC replaced (which I understand includes replacing the MCU1 and 17" screen).
It seems stupid to replace the IC1 screen next week if I'll have to have it replaced a month or two later with an IC2 screen.

Should I hold out for MCU2 and IC2 rather than get a second IC1 display installed and maybe get the eMMC replaced (which I understand includes replacing the MCU1 and 17" screen).

Out of warranty or in? I would hold off for sure if out of warranty. While it hasn’t been 100% confirmed the MCU upgrade will include the IC, most of us think it will (FAQ in this post says it will). If covered under warranty, it’d be a tossup for me based on S.C. distance/hassle and appointment availability

Last edited:
Reactions: brkaus
Another problem is an apparently delaminating IC1 screen which looks bad but is still functional (I'm not talking about the 17" touch screen here, which is perfect). I have a service visit booked for Friday the 13th of March 2020 to replace the delaminating screen and fix the inability to install update 2020.4.1
It seems stupid to replace the IC1 screen next week if I'll have to have it replaced a month or two later with an IC2 screen.
I'm in the same situation but out of warranty, in terms of having a delaminationg IC1 screen. Hoping the MCU2 upgrade does include IC2, if it does it's a bargain for me. Although my main screen has no issues, I know all MCU1 screens are going to fail eventually due to the flash memory design fail.

I'm in the same situation but out of warranty, in terms of having a delaminationg IC1 screen. Hoping the MCU2 upgrade does include IC2, if it does it's a bargain for me. Although my main screen has no issues, I know all MCU1 screens are going to fail eventually due to the flash memory design fail.

My IC 1 screen has burn in from the speed limit icon being displayed.

MCU2 upgrade will almost certainly include IC2, as the IC is the limiting factor in displaying advanced visualizations, including those for FSD.

MCU2 upgrade will almost certainly include IC2, as the IC is the limiting factor in displaying advanced visualizations, including those for FSD.

I thought it was the MCU that was the limiting factor for the visualizations (could be wrong). I believe the primary argument for the IC replacement with the MCU upgrade argument is that IC1 has a self-contained computer, while IC2 is driven entirely from the MCU, so if the MCU is upgraded, the IC needs to be. I don’t have any inside info (my S.C. tech told me the service bulletin isn’t even fleshed out for them yet), but I would think that the IC1 computer could potentially be bypassed and just the display driven by the MCU2 (Same way I use my iPad as a second display for my laptop when I’m traveling). Could also not be the case, but it seems possible to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: MP3Mike
Tesla swaps out the entire IC1 for IC2. It isn't worth the trouble to try to reuse the screen to turn an IC1 into an IC2.

I used to think it was possible to keep IC1 with MCU2, since it would be nice for the IC to work even if the MCU were broken, but the whole point of the IC2 being a display is because FSD needs to render faster than IC1 can.

Nothing about FSD is visualized on the MCU1. And IC1 has its own renderer. MCU2 only visualizes FSD stuff on IC2.

Last edited: