Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FAQ: MCU2 Upgrades

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Trebek1762

Let's play jeopardy
Feb 6, 2018
Wisconsin
Ok, so I think it's in the best interest of the community to have a sticky on what is and is NOT included with the Infotainment (aka MCU) upgrade, and to further clarify that it is separate from FSD (also referenced by APE/AP/HW3)

Descriptions of MCUs and HWs below questions (via TeslaTap)

Q: I Paid for FSD, do I get MCU2 for free?
A: No. HW3 (AP&FSD computer) and MCU2 (infotainment computer) are completely separate.

Q: I didn't pay for FSD, do I get MCU2 for free?
A: No.

Q: Does FSD require MCU2?
A: No. You will likely not get all the visualizations on IC1 (Instrument cluster).

Q: What is replaced with the upgrade?
A: MCU1 and IC1 are removed, MCU2 and IC2 are installed. Software magic happens behind the scenes and voila!

Q: No AM/FM/XM radio? WhAt ThE HeCk TeSlA? How is this an upgrade when they're taking things away?
A: The tuner for the MCU2 system is different than for the MCU1. All autos with MCU2 have the digital tuner that includes either FM or FM / XM. MCU2 cars DO NOT HAVE AM RADIO. Tesla is likely NOT upgrading the tuner, which is a separate module that lives in the dash behind the steering wheel. While it's not impossible to get it to, it is difficult to change out and Tesla has decided it's not in their best interests to do it.

Q: So can I get FM/XM back?
A; Yet to be seen. Maybe it can be installed by Tesla, maybe it can be installed by the user if so inclined.

Q: Can I buy the tuner from Tesla?
A: Yes, supposedly. P/N w XM - 1143711-00-C. P/N w/o XM - 1143703-00-C

Q: Can I keep my MCU1 / IC1?
A: We don't know. There will likely be a core charge based on the history of MCU1 out of warranty replacements. Tesla might just make the core charge so exorbitant that it won't be worth it.

Q: My MCU1 died, will I get an MCU2 for free under warranty?
A: We don't know. HIGHLY unlikely at this point. down the road? Maybe?

Q: What will happen to the price of the MCU1 replacement now?
A: We don't know.

Q: Who killed the radio star?
A: Video did....video did.

Q: Will I get 5G Cellular connectivity with the MCU2 Upgrade?
A: NO. You only get 5GHz WiFI added

Q: What about AP1 cars?
A; IDK. I know there's some significant re-pinning that needs to be done on AP1 cars. Tesla hasn't stated what that will entail.

Q; What will happen to my premium connectivity?
A: Nothing. If you have it now, you're grandfathered in and you'll have it after the upgrade. There is no indication that it will be taken away or that you will have to pay the $10/month.

Q; What happens if I've got 3G Now and I upgrade to MCU2?
A: You'll get 4G/LTE with MCU2

Q; I have EAP now, what will FSD get me?
A: A new HW3 computer, smart summon....I think that's about it. EAP is pretty sweet.

Q: Will I Get a new screen with the MCU2 Upgrade?
A: Probably.

Q: Does IC1 have to be replaced?
A: On AP2 and AP2.5 absolutely. No idea on AP1. IC2 is basically a screen that is run from the MCU2. IC1 on the other hand is it's own system that can run independent of MCU1, but they communicate over the car network. IC1 won't work with MCU2. period

The MCU is responsible for the main display, all external communications, audio, cellular, navigation, and settings. It has little to do with Autopilot, other than selecting various settings.
There are two versions of the MCU in the S/X:
* MCU1 – using an Nvidia quad-core processor was in all S/X cars made from the start of production to February 2018.
* MCU2 – using an Intel multi-core Atom processor, began shipping in the S/X in March 2018. MCU2 offers slightly snapper operation, WiFi was upgraded to support 5 GHz, the Bluetooth was upgraded with a newer version and additional antennas (external to the MCU2), along with other minor changes.
Autopilot ECU Processor
There are currently four-vehicle hardware variants related to Autopilot.
* HW0 – No autopilot capability
* HW1 – First Autopilot, based on the Mobileye chip. It used a single camera, radar, and 12 medium-range ultrasonic sensors. The electronics are co-located with the camera, behind the rearview mirror.
* HW2.0 – Tesla’s 2nd generation design, using 8 cameras, 12 long-range ultrasonic sensors, and one front radar. An entirely new ECU processor module was created by Tesla, based on Nvidia’s Drive PX2 system. This ECU is located below the glove box.
* HW2.5 – This provides a small update to HW2.0, primarily for redundancy and slightly improved reliability. This version also made possible two non-autopilot features – dashcam and sentry mode with locally saved video.
* HW3 [FSD computer] – A major update to the Autopilot ECU using Tesla’s own chip design.
Above via TeslaTap: Title: Autopilot, Processors and Hardware – MCU & HW Demystified
Autopilot, Processors and Hardware – MCU & HW Demystified | TeslaTap

Any chance we could sticky this? would clean up the MCU upgrade threads and (hopefully) alleviate some confusion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well kiss my grits, the edit button is gone from my first post...thanks Karen...

Q: Will I get 5G Cellular connectivity with the MCU2 Upgrade?
A: NO. You only get 5GHz WiFI added

Q: What about AP1 cars?
A; IDK. I know there's some significant re-pinning that needs to be done on AP1 cars. Tesla hasn't stated what that will entail.

Q; What will happen to my premium connectivity?
A: Nothing. If you have it now, you're grandfathered in and you'll have it after the upgrade. There is no indication that it will be taken away or that you will have to pay the $10/month.

Q; What happens if I've got 3G Now and I upgrade to MCU2?
A: You'll get 4G/LTE with MCU2

Last edited:
You should also add this:

Q: What about the Premium Connectivity requirements?
A: If you log into your My Tesla account, and your Tesla vehicle has Premium Connectivity, you will get to keep it. If your vehicle doesn't have it, certain feature of MCU2 won't work unless you join the monthly subscription plan to get Premium Connectivity. Please see this URL for details Connectivity

Your post states that MCU2 and UC2 are replaced. I thought AP1 cars kept UC1 even with the MCU upgrade.
The IC (instrument cluster) works differently between the two versions. IC1 is part of the network in the car and is essentially it's own computer. IC2 is pretty much a second screen hanging off MCU2. It's a little more complicated than that, but that's the jist of it.

Hi MP3Mike,

Thank you. I am thrilled to be able to purchase this upgrade for my wife's Model S 85D May 2015.
Warranty is gone by time...
The MCU shows signs of failing.
I don't have the time (or inclination) to tear it out for the eMMC replacement.
I would not want Tesla to replace it with a future failure MCU1.
It will be sold in the future and no knowledgeable Tesla person would want it
with a counting down to failure MCU1.

Thank You Tesla,

Shawn

Thanks for this FAQ. Since one path of the MCU2 upgrade involves free HW3, I was thinking that an FAQ or sticky about the current state of AP,EAP,FSD for Model S would be a good thing also.

For instance, I am wondering what FSD will do for me if I upgrade to it now. I have EAP and at one point I thought I had access to NoA, but I see in the list of FSD features that NoA is listed as an FSD item. I can turn NoA off and on in the menu but cant seem to activate it. Do I have it or not ?

Ok, so you can apparently only edit posts for 60 minutes and apparently less than 20 minutes after you make a thread...what a buzzkill...

A: A new HW3 computer, smart summon....I think that's about it. EAP is pretty sweet.

A: On AP2 and AP2.5 absolutely. No idea on AP1. IC2 is basically a screen that is run from the MCU2. IC1 on the other hand is it's own system that can run independent of MCU1, but they communicate over the car network. IC1 won't work with MCU2. period

Last edited:
Ok, so you can apparently only edit posts for 60 minutes and apparently less than 20 minutes after you make a thread...what a buzzkill...

A mod should be able to make it a sticky wiki.

I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed more, but the MCU2 upgrade brings Sentry mode and Dashcam to HW2.0 cars (upgraded to HW3.0 at the same time), which i was not expecting (likely black and white?):

"The FSD Computer upgrade does enable recording from all cameras with Sentry Mode and DashCam for vehicles previously equipped with Autopilot Computer 2.0 or 2.5 and paired with the Infotainment Upgrade."

Full Self-Driving Computer Installations

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Justynr and MIT_S60