TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Far West Texas Charging

Discussion in 'Texas' started by charliepmayer, Mar 16, 2018.

1. charliepmayer

charliepmayer Member

Head Count as of 12/29/18 - 2019 Tesla EV Rally - Far West Texas

Lodging: Hotel Limpia, Paisano Hotel, Holland Hotel, El Cosmico, Cibolo Creek Ranch, Maverick Inn.
    You pick. Don't think we can get enough people at a single hotel, but if we do we can get a group rate.

Drinks and dinner at Hotel Limpia on Friday, August 16:
    charliepmayer - 2 guests

Breakfast buffet at the Blue Mountain Bistro on Saturday, August 17, 7:30-10:00:
    charliepmayer - 2 guests

10:00 - Tour of the Fort Davis National Historic Site on Saturday, August 17:
    charliepmayer - 2 guests

8:00 - Cocktails and dinner at the Century Bar & Grill in the Holland Hotel - Alpine on Saturday, August 17:
    charliepmayer - 2 guests

5:00 - Cocktails and dinner at Jett's Grill in the Hotel Paisano - Marfa on Sunday, August 18:
    charliepmayer - 2 guests

Please update directly, or let me know and I'll update the list and re-post.

2. charliepmayer

charliepmayer Member

Hotel Limpia in Ft Davis has 2 HPWCs and a Clipper Creek. Don't have to be a hotel guest, but donations to the local library are encouraged (good restaurant and bar). El Cosmico in Marfa and Cibolo Creek Ranch a bit south of Marfa each have 2 HPWCs and a Clipper Creek. Don't know the usage requirements. The Stable Performance Cars in Alpine has two NEMA 14-50s (cool place to visit - and a great bar across the street). The Maverick Inn in Alpine just started the process to install 2 HPWCs and a Clipper Creek.

• Like x 1
  3. rideincircles

rideincircles Member

I think I will plan on doing the 170 drive from Terlingua to Marfa in the next month or 2. Trump demanding the border wall and possibly using the military is pretty scary to anyone who respects the natural environment along the Rio Grande. The drive from Lajitas to Presidio on 170 along the Rio Grande is supposed to be one of the best drives in the country. I think charging overnight at Big Bend Motor Lodge should be sufficient to make the trip, but just need to make sure its not cold weather. Currently it shows that its 127 miles from Terlingua to Marfa and takes 2 hours and 450 minutes. That is easy peasy with a few stops. Going from Terlingua to Fort Stockton SC on that route is 4 hours and 219 miles of range which may be more problematic with stopping occasionally, but could be pulled off. Routing to Alpine may be the best bet. I will make it happen soon if the National Park is open, but may go regardless. I assume the RV plugs are turned off for now in Big Bend NP. Hopefully congress wisens up before Trump destroys our credit rating like he did with his businesses. That is another story, but that area is one of the best and most rural areas in the state. It needs to be left alone. No one who lives there wants a wall.

• Like x 1
  4. gbrgbr

gbrgbr Member

"El Cosmico in Marfa .... Don't know the usage requirements"

when I was there in September, I called El Cosmico and asked if I could charge there (not being a guest there). The person answering the phone said I was welcome to use their charger. I used the charger twice with no issues. Of course I have no idea whether the person I spoke with had the authority to decide and of course things could have changed.

5. charliepmayer

charliepmayer Member

6. charliepmayer

charliepmayer Member

Golden Spike Ceremony in Fort Stockton:

As of this morning I show the commitments below. Anybody else? Any changes?

Ft Stockton 4:30 Feb 9th: charliepmayer, TaoJones, jplasmd, theflyer, DavidB, BeteNoire,

Limpia 7:00 Feb 9th: charliepmayer, TaoJones, DavidB, theflyer, BeteNoire

Marfa noon, Feb 10th: charliepmayer, DavidB

Great for a family vacation, see above: 2019 Tesla EV Rally - Far West Texas, August 16-19

7. charliepmayer

charliepmayer Member

Golden Spike Ceremony: Two week notice!

Ft Stockton ceremony 4:30 Feb 9th, 7 cars, 13 people:
    charliepmayer (1), TaoJones (2), jplasmd (2), theflyer (2), DavidB (2), BeteNoire (2), nwdiver (2)

Hotel Limpia Dinner 7:00 Feb 9th, 6 cars, 14 people:
    charliepmayer (4), TaoJones (2), DavidB (2), theflyer (2), BeteNoire (2), nwdiver (2)

Marfa noon photo shoot Feb 10th, 3 cars, 8 people:
    charliepmayer (4), DavidB (2), nwdiver (2)

And a nice "maybe" from Mark Brazelton, our Tesla SC expert!

Any more updates? If not I will pass the above head count to the hotel, newspapers, and C of C.

8. charliepmayer

charliepmayer Member

Golden Spike Ceremony:

corrected today:

Ft Stockton ceremony 4:30 Feb 9th, 6 cars, 10 people:
    charliepmayer (1), TaoJones (2), jplasmd (2), theflyer (2), BeteNoire (2), nwdiver (1)

Hotel Limpia Dinner 7:00 Feb 9th, 5 cars, 11 people:
    charliepmayer (4), TaoJones (2), theflyer (2), BeteNoire (2), nwdiver (1)

Marfa noon photo shoot Feb 10th, 2 cars, 5 people:
    charliepmayer (4), nwdiver (1)

9. charliepmayer

charliepmayer Member

trying this again:

Ft Stockton ceremony 4:30 Feb 9th, 8 cars, 14 people
    charliepmayer (1), TaoJones (2), jplasmd (2), theflyer (2), BeteNoire (2), nwdiver (1), Behind (2), kavyboy (2)

Hotel Limpia 7:00 Feb 9th, 7 cars, 15 people
    charliepmayer (4), TaoJones (2), theflyer (2), BeteNoire (2), nwdiver (1), Behind (2), kavyboy (2)

Marfa noon photo shoot, Feb 10th, 5 cars, 11 people
    charliepmayer (4), nwdiver (1), Behind (2), kavyboy (2), theflyer (2)

(I think I got it right this time - but maybe not :))

10. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

As soon as you get it right, it will change.

• Funny x 2
  11. charliepmayer

charliepmayer Member

Hotel St George in Marfa now has two NEMA 14-50s.
    Cibolo Creek Ranch reports that the HPWCs are installed and working. Not yet verified.
    Still working on The Maverick Motel in Alpine.

Updated Golden Spike information here: Supercharger - Fort Stockton, Texas

12. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

Be sure to ask for the Scalia Room!

13. rideincircles

rideincircles Member

If you see a black Model 3 rolling around the area this weekend, you might find me inside. I will be heading to Guadalupe Mountains tomorrow, then Marfa Saturday night after doing the guadalupe peak hike, then down 170 from Marfa to Terlingua in Sunday and heading heading back to DFW Monday. This should be a good test of rural capabilities for my Model 3. Hoping to reduce my average efficiency from 306wh/m for this trip. Will report back next week.

14. charliepmayer

charliepmayer Member

rideincircles: Thank you for coming down to play! PM me for dinner or other recommendations.
    Top up at the HPWCs at El Cosmico. Cool, funky place - perfect for Marfa. Ever slept in a teepee?

15. charliepmayer

charliepmayer Member

Anybody interested in this: Big Bend Open Road Race

I think at least one of us interested (Model 3).

Start a new thread for this?

• Like x 1
  16. TexasTeslaRacing

How many miles are off road. Dirt roads?

17. SammichLover

SammichLover Banned

#197 SammichLover, Feb 14, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    Yes, I am. And I have the beginnings of an inkling of a plan. I'm working towards getting the various pieces into place.

Yeah, a Texas area thread could be in order. You can enter as part of "team", so if there ends up being multiple Tesla drivers that could happen.

I don't see how a Model S could do it, because of their thermal issues in stock configuration, but maybe someone has some ideas?

P.S. Like with Autocross, the warranty as written could be read to imply it is proscribed. I question the enforceability of those clauses in that way, and doubt the wisdom of them even more-so. They reek of Legal Dept boilerplated butt-covering nonsense. I do want to get out the word that these things are more than possible with this great vehicle, so don't plan to stay silent. However for the time being, until this matter is clarified, or I run out of drive-train warranty, I'm choosing to not publicly link identifiable aspects of my vehicle with these activities.

18. SammichLover

SammichLover Banned

Paved all the way. It's actually not a lot of up and down on the speed, although there's going to be some with the curves through the "cuts"/turns toward the end of the first and the start of the second leg. Here's a video of the first leg, and the second leg is the same road headed in the other direction, taken from inside a Viper that ran last year in one of the higher categories.

Average speed in the above video was 150mph.

Rookie drivers are only
    allowed to enter a category of 110mph average, or below.

• Like x 1
  19. TexasTeslaRacing

I’m interested. Appears you start in ft stockton and race south day one to Sanderson and day two race back up north. Where do you charge in Sanderson if there are 3-5 Tesla’s in this race?

I assume if we average 100mph we are going to cut range in half. One of us will need to bring a spare tire(s) and jack, unless the organizers have those available.

20. SammichLover

SammichLover Banned

I'm going to cross-post a reply over in this thread: Big Bend Open Road Race