Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Far West Texas Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would love to have my spare wall charger (still in the box) installed at an appropriate place in Terlingua or nearby (for free).
Group request: please contact anyone you may know down there and inquire about hosting the charger. I would prefer a 100 amp breaker to feed the thing - for older S's, future Cybertrucks, Roadster IIs, and Plaid S's (and who knows what else). Thoughts or ideas? Please PM me if you have anything promising. I will contact Big Bend C of C.
Thank you,
Charlie

I know Basecamp Terlingua already installed a charger, and they had another that got broken from an excavator backing into it. My friend runs Flack electrical down there, and he hooked up the charger for Basecamp Terlingua. If possible check with them, or Flack electrical. I went down there in October and may have been the first car to use it. At the time it only maxed out at 48 amps, and we were going to tune it higher, but he couldn't find the bit to open the case.

I think Basecamp Terlingua is planning to add more chargers for everyone once they build the cafe from what I was told. Right now the Tesla charger is mainly for guests, but you can always check if you need to use it. My friend also plans to use the broken charger at his place in the future, but its low priority until his shop is built. The extra charger just had a cracked case. I think I sent you his contact info before, but lets get that put to use.

Basecamp Terlingua

Anything new in Big Bend as far as destination chargers?
Seconded!

I'm looking into a spring trip to Big Bend, and boy does this area put even our past 'charging desert' trips to shame (North Dakota 2018, Utah 2019) as far as big area, not much charging. Even getting to the area is a bit challenging, but that part's easily surmountable thanks to @nwdiver and his SE New Mexico HPWC installs. What's proving most difficult for me is locating an ideal lodging location where I can fully charge the car overnight so we can actually zoom around Big Bend for a few days.

I'm trying to find something close to Big Bend with some level of accommodations for my family (incl kids and dogs) with at least 32A charging. With spring being peak Big Bend season, most of the top options I've found are booked up. The best I've found so far is the Big Bend Resort which is a motel that based on the reviews is either mildly passable or the worst lodging in the world (unclear which!). But it's close to the park entrance, has 50A RV spots nearby, and currently has availability for our target dates in March.

Any locals have specific advice for me here?

@Zaxxon, PlugShare is your best resource.

I am not aware of anything new down there. Most info below was previously covered, in part, in earlier posts.

As noted above, Basecamp Terlingua has (had?) a Tesla charger. see: Basecamp Terlingua
No longer shown on PlugShare. Don't know why. I emailed them. Will report if I get a reply.

Cibolo Creek Ranch is still my favorite in the area. Pricey, but worth it. Cibolo Creek Ranch, where 19th century atmosphere meets modern luxury

Great car display, owner, and great service here: Home - The Stable Performance Cars. They wrapped my Plaid.
Two NEMA 14-50s, too. Across from Railroad Blues and down the street from the Holland Hotel.

If you crave quirky: El Cosmico in Marfa: Bohemian West Texas Nomadic Hotel | El Cosmico | Marfa, Texas
They have Tesla chargers. Marfa is unique. Recommended: ANTHONY BOURDAIN FAR WEST TEXAS: ALL OF THE RESTAURANTS PICKED BY ANTHONY BOURDAIN ON PARTS UNKNOWN – C&C, Cedric Lizotte. Many changes in the dining scene since then. We like Cochineal, but may not be suitable for families.

And finally, the Hotel Limpia in Fort Davis. Hotel Limpia Fort Davis Hotel and Guest Accomodations
@nwdiver installed the three chargers there. Fun install!

Note: very busy and crowded in the Big Bend area - Covid has been a boon to the local economy. Book early.
Can't assume restaurants will be open or have seating - plan accordingly. Patience required. Expect staff shortages and delays everywhere.
Taco bars in the local gas stations (especially Marfa) are good - may surprise you.

Bring celestial binoculars.

I did a trip a couple of months ago. It's challenging. (Difficulty +1: I drive a 2015 S70.) I got to see a lot of charge-related warnings, including a new one for me about not being able to make the trip without finding charging. For part of the way, my trip meter showed I wasn't going to make it at all. I started in Marathon, got to the Panther Junction Visitor's Center, then took 118 to Fort Davis. I rolled in to the Limpia Hotel with 16 miles left. Any time I diverted from my route, the car would pop up warnings.
I spoke with another Tesla driver who was able to stay overnight in the park by throwing an extension cord over a fence to a wall plug and slow charge overnight. That sounds dodgy for multiple reasons.
If I had it to do over, I might have stayed at Retro Rents (it's on plugshare). I can't endorse it because I never visited, but it would be worth a look.
But yeah, Big Bend is surprisingly remote. The route I drove recently between Boise, ID and Bend, OR was even more desolate of humans, but at least there was a supercharger in between.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zaxxon
The response from Basecamp Terlingua (posted here with permission from BT.)

Hello Charlie,

At this time we have vehicle chargers at the following accommodations, which are solely available to the guests who are staying at that accommodation:

* Desert Pearl - https://basecampterlingua.client.innroad.com/room/41798

* Rafiki Ridge - Rafiki Ridge - Basecamp Terlingua

* Deluxe Two Room Bubbles - Bubble X2, X3, X4 - Basecamp Terlingua

* Two Room Bubble Plus Pool - https://basecampterlingua.client.innroad.com/room/44631.

We also have a vehicle charger located at our office for anyone to use in an emergency-type of situation. You would need to arrange a time with us to use that charger if you needed it. We are located next to the High Sierra, so most people plug in for a quick charge while they get food or a drink at the restaurant.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Kind regards,
Kelly
Basecamp Terlingua
www.basecampterlingua.com

I'm going out there again for the 3rd time from Fort Worth in late February. I love it out there with how wide open everything is, with the mountains in the background and the blue sky that goes on forever.

The first time I went out was on my way back from El Paso and stayed a night at Hotel Limpia to visit Davis Mountains State Park. Great hotel to stay at and easy to charge, prepare for long waits though at the Drugstore restaurant across the street.

Second time I stayed in Van Horn close to the supercharger to go hiking in the Guadalupe Mountains NP. I took a side trip thru Marfa and stayed overnight at Davis Mountains SP, booked an RV site to charge with.

This time I'll be staying at Basecamp Terlingua's Desert Pearl specifically so I can have enough charge to hit Big Bend SP and NP with no range anxiety.

I'm going out there again for the 3rd time from Fort Worth in late February. I love it out there with how wide open everything is, with the mountains in the background and the blue sky that goes on forever.

The first time I went out was on my way back from El Paso and stayed a night at Hotel Limpia to visit Davis Mountains State Park. Great hotel to stay at and easy to charge, prepare for long waits though at the Drugstore restaurant across the street.

Second time I stayed in Van Horn close to the supercharger to go hiking in the Guadalupe Mountains NP. I took a side trip thru Marfa and stayed overnight at Davis Mountains SP, booked an RV site to charge with.

This time I'll be staying at Basecamp Terlingua's Desert Pearl specifically so I can have enough charge to hit Big Bend SP and NP with no range anxiety.
Can you update? Considering trip in late Jan or early Feb 2023 to big bend area and plug share shows nothing. Considering staying and fully charging daily at Fort Stockton but haven’t checked mileage. Old single female with dog cannot get stranded! Is the Pearl reliable? I don’t need fancy, just need to know what to expect. And I gotta have enough charge!

Hi Prairie! Anything south of Ft Stockton requires you to rely on destination chargers. Fortunately, you will have plenty of opportunities! Yes, Pearl has a NEMA 14-50 serving a J1772 charger near the highway, close to the rental vehicles. You can either unplug the charger and use your own 14-50 adapter or use the Tesla J1772 adapter with their charger. There are several NEMA 14-50s at trailer parks and such in the area - PlugShare will show them all if you toggle "on" the type of connector you wish to see. Gage Hotel in Marathon has a Tesla wall charger (cool hotel and bar - I recommend a room with a fireplace). If you go down through Marfa there are two Tesla chargers at El Cosmico (tee pees, yurts, updated AirStreams). There is a NEMA 14-50 hidden away behind the Hotel St George Ballroom. Two Tesla chargers at the Hotel Limpia in Ft Davis. Please be aware that high winds and low temps out there will affect your range. Long, lonely roads with spectacular views and poor cell coverage are the norm. Restaurants are scarce and their hours are unpredictable - I recommend you call ahead. Drive 170 between Presidio and Lajitas if you have an opportunity. If you have your pup, make eye contact and smile a lot you will be warmly welcomed by the local characters. Be prepared to tell your story - they will ask :).

Hi Prairie! Anything south of Ft Stockton requires you to rely on destination chargers. Fortunately, you will have plenty of opportunities! Yes, Pearl has a NEMA 14-50 serving a J1772 charger near the highway, close to the rental vehicles. You can either unplug the charger and use your own 14-50 adapter or use the Tesla J1772 adapter with their charger. There are several NEMA 14-50s at trailer parks and such in the area - PlugShare will show them all if you toggle "on" the type of connector you wish to see. Gage Hotel in Marathon has a Tesla wall charger (cool hotel and bar - I recommend a room with a fireplace). If you go down through Marfa there are two Tesla chargers at El Cosmico (tee pees, yurts, updated AirStreams). There is a NEMA 14-50 hidden away behind the Hotel St George Ballroom. Two Tesla chargers at the Hotel Limpia in Ft Davis. Please be aware that high winds and low temps out there will affect your range. Long, lonely roads with spectacular views and poor cell coverage are the norm. Restaurants are scarce and their hours are unpredictable - I recommend you call ahead. Drive 170 between Presidio and Lajitas if you have an opportunity. If you have your pup, make eye contact and smile a lot you will be warmly welcomed by the local characters. Be prepared to tell your story - they will ask :).
Thank you for the advice. I’m optimistic that I can do this. The Gage Hotel w charger looks like a winner. Sounds like I need to be fully equipped with lots of water and food. I have adapters for CCS, 15-40, and J1772 A,though car is so new I haven’t tried any out so far. Love the MX for distance. I did 14 hrs in one day on interstate Hwy without being exhausted, no swollen feet, so butt soreness, etc. Nice and relaxing.

Reactions: charliepmayer
Thank you for the advice. I’m optimistic that I can do this. The Gage Hotel w charger looks like a winner. Sounds like I need to be fully equipped with lots of water and food. I have adapters for CCS, 15-40, and J1772 A,though car is so new I haven’t tried any out so far. Love the MX for distance. I did 14 hrs in one day on interstate Hwy without being exhausted, no swollen feet, so butt soreness, etc. Nice and relaxing.
Make sure you try out that CCS adapter before you need to use it.

Some (many) cars need a hardware and/or firmware update to use it.

• Helpful
Reactions: Prairie and kavyboy
Can you update? Considering trip in late Jan or early Feb 2023 to big bend area and plug share shows nothing. Considering staying and fully charging daily at Fort Stockton but haven’t checked mileage. Old single female with dog cannot get stranded! Is the Pearl reliable? I don’t need fancy, just need to know what to expect. And I gotta have enough charge!
Sorry for the late reply, hopefully you haven't left for your trip yet.

The Desert Pearl charging worked great, it was a Tesla charger if I remember correctly so no need for an adapter (although I would still bring them for other situations). To use it officially though you need to book that RV trailer from Basecamp Terlingua (the charger is in the trailer's parking area that has room for 2 cars) . I had no issues with range anxiety my entire time there.

Also recommend the Presidio to Lajita drive, very scenic and fun to drive through.

Yep - Highway 170 - River Road 👍
Not recommended for big RVs.
Tee Pee rest stop just west of Lajitas.

Pricey but worth it: Cibolo Creek Ranch. Tesla destination charger. Miles long dusty driveway.

Prairie: trip report please?
Still thinking about it. I don’t like to commit much in advance. Pros and cons to this strategy but been doing for long time in ICE and when I had a traveling job. Got to get serious about room reservations pretty soon though. Turns out Nature Conservancy lands don’t open to public until March 1. MX in cold weather with no additional weight is running 330-350 kw