Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Far West Texas Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Info on Plugshare is your best bet - plenty of charging options out here - relatively speaking of course.
Hotel Limpia / Blue Mountain Bistro is now allowed to reopen - but no info on when they will. Hotel Limpia and El Cosmico chargers are right on the street - might be accessible even if the rest of the complex is closed.

• Informative
Reactions: purplewalt
So not much activity on this thread since the COVID 19 closures, but Big Bend National Park reopened August 7 so I am going to take the plunge and do a road trip.I had already decided to take the Ice Rover but after reading this incredibly helpful thread, I’ve decided to take my P90D instead and embrace the adventure! Driving from just south of Austin 400+ miles to an area I have not explored. I would never have dreamed that this would be possible In the Tesla, but you guys make it sound like a manageable and fairly benign event. I have verified that the El Cosmico chargers in Marfa are open for everyone, guests first, as the hotel is all booked up to my surprise Planning a night at the St George there and their NEMA 14-50 is operational for guests in their parking lot as of today. Taking advantage of just getting started again Cibolo Creek Ranch rates for 3 nights there after Marfa. They confirmed that both of their Destination chargers were operational as of today August 11,2020. Definitely a bucket list thing for me to see that place, even at 107 degrees. Looks like I will not have enough charge to go into the park as my battery only charges to 260 miles nominally. Anyone have any updates about charging at the park or Terilingua? I saw there was a possibility of someone’s friend doing a charger there? If not, I’ll just do the scenic drive to the area and go back to Cibolo for a night charge. Also does anyone know the charger status at the hotel Milgas in Ft Davis ? I had planned to go there if they are back on line, but won’t if there is doubt about charging there.
I can’t thank everyone enough for all the great and specific info contained in this thread.I couldn’t make the trip if you guys had not worked through the issues and local politics to put some charging out there in the badlands. I’d be burning through the dinosaurs this week if not for your very unselfish efforts.

Reactions: PLUS EV
So not much activity on this thread since the COVID 19 closures, but Big Bend National Park reopened August 7 so I am going to take the plunge and do a road trip.I had already decided to take the Ice Rover but after reading this incredibly helpful thread, I’ve decided to take my P90D instead and embrace the adventure! Driving from just south of Austin 400+ miles to an area I have not explored. I would never have dreamed that this would be possible In the Tesla, but you guys make it sound like a manageable and fairly benign event. I have verified that the El Cosmico chargers in Marfa are open for everyone, guests first, as the hotel is all booked up to my surprise Planning a night at the St George there and their NEMA 14-50 is operational for guests in their parking lot as of today. Taking advantage of just getting started again Cibolo Creek Ranch rates for 3 nights there after Marfa. They confirmed that both of their Destination chargers were operational as of today August 11,2020. Definitely a bucket list thing for me to see that place, even at 107 degrees. Looks like I will not have enough charge to go into the park as my battery only charges to 260 miles nominally. Anyone have any updates about charging at the park or Terilingua? I saw there was a possibility of someone’s friend doing a charger there? If not, I’ll just do the scenic drive to the area and go back to Cibolo for a night charge. Also does anyone know the charger status at the hotel Milgas in Ft Davis ? I had planned to go there if they are back on line, but won’t if there is doubt about charging there.
I can’t thank everyone enough for all the great and specific info contained in this thread.I couldn’t make the trip if you guys had not worked through the issues and local politics to put some charging out there in the badlands. I’d be burning through the dinosaurs this week if not for your very unselfish efforts.
I did this last year about this same time. In the park, the Rio Grande Villiage RV Park has 220V plugs that work. I drove from Austin to there and did great. I charged every night in the RV Park (sleeping in the car with AC) and drove around the park and hiked every day.

Thanks for the updates. We supercharged in Junction, Ozona , and roasted and charged simultaneously in Ft Stockton. Not sure who selected the Ozona and Ft Stockton charging locations, but much better than not having them I guess. The Ozona one is behind a creepy motel below the half filled green swimming pool next to some kinda funky chairs under a tree by a defunct fountain filled with debris. In contrast, there is a new electrify America about a half mile away next to a nice Hampton Inn-and close to food, etc. would not want to be hungry and in need of charging at night in Ozona. Quite long and dark and iffy walk down basically a freeway off ramp to stores. Better than paying the outrageous rates of EA , but not really one of their best locAtions or ideas. Wife decided to stay in the car. hotel guy let me in to use the restroom. Ft Stockton is at a truck stop with a captive Subway that doesn’t have seating and the chargers are on a concrete pad in the side of the parking lot. It was 107 there and we roasted out in the sun. Could not get the charger to go above 58 kw even though we were at 40 remaining miles. Maybe the heat slowed it down, but that wasn’t planned for by the trip planner.From there to Marfa was more uphill and I’m glad I sat in Ft Stockton a little longer than shown. The ElCosmico was closed with a fresh COVID case, but I was able to use a 14-50 plug in the alley behind the Saint George swimming pool and meeting center. Looks pretty iffy down a dark alley but charged just fine. That Hotel is at least 4 stars and highly recommended. Marfa was barely open and in fact we could not find a place for lunch on Thursday after 2:00. Still a cool place to visit. Dinner was not a problem.

Ferrari ex: you bring up a good point - when you visit out here you'll find that restaurants and other businesses don't keep the same hours as more populated areas in the country. COVID conditions only make things worse. Please come back when the area opens up again - Planet Marfa and some quirky restaurants are worth the trip. Hope you can make it to Cibolo Creek Ranch. Perhaps you'll be lucky enough to experience a desert rain shower and lightning display during your trip.

Ozona: owners of the hotel often work the desk - good chance it was the owner who granted you permission to use the restroom. I commend you on your good manners in asking - some early Tesla drivers were less than kind or polite there. When that SC was installed I was told that there were only two places considered - the other was the C of C site across the freeway. Hampton Inn wasn't yet built. Hotel occupancy out here plummeted with the oil bust - owners have to make concessions just to keep the doors open.

Fort Stockton and Junction: I often have to switch pedestals due to slow charging. Plugshare is a good place to post your experiences for the rest of us. All pedestals don't operate the same - and they can go months "out of order" or with poor performance. Fort Stockton SC site has relatively nice tables, chairs, showers, and TV available in the trucker's lounge at the back of the store. That area may be shut down due to COVID.

There are other threads here and there that describe the West Texas charging infrastructure buildout. Interesting reading, I think.

Good luck!
Charlie

• Informative
Reactions: TMC Bubba
Thanks CharlieP.The trip was very successful thanks to your insights and charging recommendations. There was one charger at Cibolo Creek Ranch , seemed like a 8 kw set up, but charged us completely overnight so all was good. Had I not seen the post where you noted it was installed, I wouldn’t have made the trip. Made the trip down to Lajjitas and back to the ranch without needing to charge there, but didn’t have enough Capacity to really go in the Park itself. Also used the charger at the Hotel Limpia for a while as we ate at the drugstore across the street. Very happy to have that one available or wouldn’t have made the Ft Davis and Point of rocks run. I dropped a donation in the box as well. Really seems that Marfa needs a charger badly as the El Cosmico is actually out of town and problematic. Saint George manager seemed interested but confused about it all. There was a model X there with us as well and he was plugged into a 110 outlet in the parking lot, probably couldn’t find the 14-50: outlet in the alley.I left him a note on his charge port when we left. Thanks again for priming the pump out there.

Thanks CharlieP.The trip was very successful thanks to your insights and charging recommendations. There was one charger at Cibolo Creek Ranch , seemed like a 8 kw set up, but charged us completely overnight so all was good. Had I not seen the post where you noted it was installed, I wouldn’t have made the trip. Made the trip down to Lajjitas and back to the ranch without needing to charge there, but didn’t have enough Capacity to really go in the Park itself. Also used the charger at the Hotel Limpia for a while as we ate at the drugstore across the street. Very happy to have that one available or wouldn’t have made the Ft Davis and Point of rocks run. I dropped a donation in the box as well. Really seems that Marfa needs a charger badly as the El Cosmico is actually out of town and problematic. Saint George manager seemed interested but confused about it all. There was a model X there with us as well and he was plugged into a 110 outlet in the parking lot, probably couldn’t find the 14-50: outlet in the alley.I left him a note on his charge port when we left. Thanks again for priming the pump out there.
What was your state of charge on the trip from Cibolo Creek Ranch to Lajitas and back? I will be making that same trip next month and trying to decide whether I need to charge at one of the RV parks for a few hours.

What was your state of charge on the trip from Cibolo Creek Ranch to Lajitas and back? I will be making that same trip next month and trying to decide whether I need to charge at one of the RV parks for a few hours.
I'm not sure you're asking the right question. Energy usage will vary a lot depending on the weather/time of year and of course every model/type of Tesla has different battery sizes.

I'm not sure you're asking the right question. Energy usage will vary a lot depending on the weather/time of year and of course every model/type of Tesla has different battery sizes.
You're probably right. I've had my Y only for a few months, and haven't driven much since I'm mostly working from home. And when I do drive, I'm mostly in Houston where it is flat as a pancake except for freeway overpasses.

You're probably right. I've had my Y only for a few months, and haven't driven much since I'm mostly working from home. And when I do drive, I'm mostly in Houston where it is flat as a pancake except for freeway overpasses.
If you share what type of Y you are driving and how many rated miles you get when charged to 100% (or 90% for that matter), then people here might be able to help you. Of course, you'll also need to share your exact path of travel or at least how many miles you plan on driving and the net elevation change. Even then, we'll be guessing about how the weather will be, but if you say what time of year, we can at least have a good idea.

If you share what type of Y you are driving and how many rated miles you get when charged to 100% (or 90% for that matter), then people here might be able to help you. Of course, you'll also need to share your exact path of travel or at least how many miles you plan on driving and the net elevation change. Even then, we'll be guessing about how the weather will be, but if you say what time of year, we can at least have a good idea.
Thanks again for the response. I will be driving from south of Marfa to Terlingua between Christmas and New Years Day in a LR MY. I don't have enough data on comparable rated miles per charge at this time given that it's only been in the last few weeks that I've been able to drive without constantly using the AC. Also experimenting with chill mode for the first time. May reup this inquiry in a couple of weeks. Thanks again.

I would love to have my spare wall charger (still in the box) installed at an appropriate place in Terlingua or nearby (for free).
Group request: please contact anyone you may know down there and inquire about hosting the charger. I would prefer a 100 amp breaker to feed the thing - for older S's, future Cybertrucks, Roadster IIs, and Plaid S's (and who knows what else). Thoughts or ideas? Please PM me if you have anything promising. I will contact Big Bend C of C.
Thank you,
Charlie

I would love to have my spare wall charger (still in the box) installed at an appropriate place in Terlingua or nearby (for free).
Group request: please contact anyone you may know down there and inquire about hosting the charger. I would prefer a 100 amp breaker to feed the thing - for older S's, future Cybertrucks, Roadster IIs, and Plaid S's (and who knows what else). Thoughts or ideas? Please PM me if you have anything promising. I will contact Big Bend C of C.
Thank you,
Charlie
Any updates Charlie? Thanks