Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Faraday Future event made me crave another Tesla reveal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In many ways I feel sorry for FF. After all, they are on our side promoting EVs.

However, I don't subscribe to the notion that Tesla's highest performing production car has to be challenged with an unproven pre-production design to get noticed. Competition is tough but IMO there is enough room in the EV marketplace for many players, all that is required is well thought of, appealing products that people actually will yearn to buy. The whole Tesla-style on stage reveals are also unnecessary, I'm surprised that none of the top officials at FF saw this as a substandard attempt at copying EM & Tesla.

In many ways I feel sorry for FF. After all, they are on our side promoting EVs.

However, I don't subscribe to the notion that Tesla's highest performing production car has to be challenged with an unproven pre-production design to get noticed. Competition is tough but IMO there is enough room in the EV marketplace for many players, all that is required is well thought of, appealing products that people actually will yearn to buy. The whole Tesla-style on stage reveals are also unnecessary, I'm surprised that none of the top officials at FF saw this as a substandard attempt at copying EM & Tesla.
I think some of them did see this as a substandard attempt... I.e. all the execs that departed late last yr

No. It's not. It's some irrational poster on this message board making a ridiculous claim. When it came time to make an actual wager, they were only so confident to bet $20 that Tesla would produce 2,000 vehicles.

Tesla would do very well to produce 25k+in 2017.
I did not promise 100,000, and neither has Tesla. I said 'I would not be surprised to see 100k' --- it seems reading comprehension is lacking in many here.

Reactions: WarpedOne
Well, the manufacturing lines to handle Model S and X weren't meant for terribly huge volume, there's no point if the demand isn't there. They are already doing better than expected for that class/price vehicle especially when compared to competitors. Tesla is dominating the Luxury sedan market. I can't say that this was fully anticipated many years ago. Heck, Elon underestimated Model 3 demand at first.

Model 3 is an entirely different beast.
I agree, but the ramp is huge in so little time. I know Tesla is a different company compared to the stagnant auto manufacturers of yore, but when experienced managers in the industry claim a factory of this size will take two years, ears perk up when Tesla says "10 months". I have a feeling we'll only see the beginnings of the production line in late 2017. It will be a while before the Model 3 is being churned out at max capacity, at least mid 2018, probably more like late 2018.

I did not promise 100,000, and neither has Tesla. I said 'I would not be surprised to see 100k' --- it seems reading comprehension is lacking in many here.

Reading comprehension? You're talking about "promises" and I never used such a phrase.

You said you "wouldn't be surprised" to see 100k and yet only felt confident enough to wager on 2k. That says it all right there.

I said it was a ridiculous claim and I still believe that.

You mean the one that was on stage where they opened the doors to show off the plush rear seats? If so, it never made it to 60 mph... maybe 5 mph to be generous. To be fair, they did say the car was a bit shy making its public debut. :)

Didn't they also say it was lazy when it wouldn't valet off the stage, either?

I truly want FF to succeed. I want more EVs and I want more competition in these battery/motor/safety/autonomy/etc technologies. They can hopefully push Tesla and give Tesla new ideas, and they can either push the traditional automakers to innovate or replace them in the mainstream. Either way.

Wow. According to this article, only ~60 out of ~64,000 reservations actually put down the $5k. So, less than .001% of reservations. I thought it'd be something like 1%, but it's actually significantly less.

How many of those 60 reservations are attached to those within arms length of Faraday Future?

Competition is good for the market place, but comeon - the FF91 sucks.

I don't think the vehicle sucks. I think it's pretty cool for the most part, though not really my style. But it's clearly not ready. The factory clearly isn't going to be built by 2018, if ever. It's clearly only a car for the 1% types (most current Tesla owners probably wouldn't even spend that much on a vehicle). And FF is clearly in serious financial trouble.

I want them to get it figured out. Not because I personally care about them or think they're a true competitor to Tesla, but because I'd love to see them add to the demise of traditional automakers.

I'm waiting for LG's announcement of building their 'own' EVs i.e. EVs under their name. That will be a serous and honest player, same with Samsung.
Everyone else with little exception of Lucid that may still make it somehow, are no contenders.
Panasonic will soon become part of Tesla i.e. 'another SolarCity story'.

I'm waiting for LG's announcement of building their 'own' EVs i.e. EVs under their name. That will be a serous and honest player, same with Samsung.
Everyone else with little exception of Lucid that may still make it somehow, are no contenders.
Panasonic will soon become part of Tesla i.e. 'another SolarCity story'.

There's also Rivian, who actually has an already-built factory that was designed for 240,000 vehicles/year. I think it's too early to say there are no contenders. EVs are still what, less than 1% of the global market? There's plenty of time for startups to get into the game these next few years. And it's certainly possible that some traditional automakers go out of business during the transition, opening up that space for said startups.

Do LG and Samsung want to become automakers though? Obviously car making is higher risk. Might they prefer to keep their roles similar to LG's with the Bolt (assuming their tech is clearly better than the automakers and that they can maintain their advantage)?

And you're saying Tesla will strictly acquire the solar panel, battery, etc divisions of Panasonic? Because Panasonic is much larger than Tesla and produces a wide variety of electronic devices that don't fit into what Tesla is doing.

There's also Rivian, who actually has an already-built factory that was designed for 240,000 vehicles/year. I think it's too early to say there are no contenders. EVs are still what, less than 1% of the global market? There's plenty of time for startups to get into the game these next few years. And it's certainly possible that some traditional automakers go out of business during the transition, opening up that space for said startups.

Do LG and Samsung want to become automakers though? Obviously car making is higher risk. Might they prefer to keep their roles similar to LG's with the Bolt (assuming their tech is clearly better than the automakers and that they can maintain their advantage)?

And you're saying Tesla will strictly acquire the solar panel, battery, etc divisions of Panasonic? Because Panasonic is much larger than Tesla and produces a wide variety of electronic devices that don't fit into what Tesla is doing.
Should note that Rivian has been around for nearly 10 years