Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Faraday Future Live Event

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I confirmed this with Faraday Future and have updated my article.

Interesting. It makes a lot of sense for a performance car, but the only car I've seen with anything close is the RLX Sport Hybrid.

If the gearbox geometry can support it, Tesla could easily do this with three of the current small motors to make a PxxxT - then the only application for the original motor would be the RWD base S, if they keep it in the line up. By eliminating the large motor production they'd presumably save some money and simplify their supply chain.

Reactions: lklundin
The two rear motors look identical to each other and are side by side in the photo below from a chassis that was on display.

Also, below the red mark, we can noticed the smaller electric engine used to steer the rear wheels to reduce the turning circle.

img_2286-jpg.209115

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and GregRF
If you think the criticism here is over the top... did you read the YouTube comments?

My favorite was along the lines of: "How cruel of the entire audience to watch the CEO have a stroke on stage like that and not even call 9-1-1"

As a mater of fact, BMW CEO Harald Krueger did collapsed on stage during the 2015 Frankfurt motor show.

Funny was the surprise look of the presenter when the 0-60 times were reported from the 'on-stage' tests and the Tesla only being .01 seconds behind.

0-60 comparison times mean nothing if not a production car.
Fully loaded, including rear view mirrors that are currently required on the compared cars would have meant much more.

When the Model X prototype was presented with the camera mirrors, wasn't there mention that they increased drag efficiency by 3% ?

Hopefully, this experience will send them back to the drawing board and give us a serious car. Heaven knows they will have a couple years while the Nevada 'sand' factory gets built.

One day we´ll know the real motivation behind the firing of both Sampson AND Rawlinson on the same day.
Probably it had to do with crash tests or underbody vulnerabilities (Rawlinson got his patent for improvement of the shield way after he was let go…)
Just because they had key responsibilities in the MS prototype days doesn´t necessarily qualify them for visible CEO/President
Those were the execs that departed Tesla January 2012 causing the stock to plummet (right after I bought a bunch, incidentally)?? Oh boy. Good riddance.

Glad I held on to that stock.

Last edited:
Reactions: Krugerrand
Everything about this presentation reaked of amateur hour.
Well, since then, they've polished up the video of the event to make it appear more "professional" by editing out the segments where the attempts to demonstrate the autopark feature on-stage failed, along with Nick Sampson's off-the-cuff comments about the car being "timid" and "shy". :)

Yeah. Why the heck would you do a live timed 0-60 demo on all-season tires??

Everything about this presentation reaked of amateur hour.
Agreed.

Plus it was redundant as they had just showed video.

It doesn't make sense to have one car at a time launch in front of the stands without any visible timing/counting clocks. The video can be edited and use multiple attempts to get the fastest time. There are so many scenarios that could negatively impact the results, why show it live? And who knows what the actual times were? MS could of have done faster than 2.6, but we will never know.

At least at a drag strip the instruments put the results up right away and it can be believed. All they accomplished was giving the audience a chance to check out the S and X.

I was lucky enough to get an invite to the event. I'm a big fan of all EVs, and own a Model S (and my wife has her Roadster).

I took it as an opportunity to check it out and was disappointed that the car had 4 seats and not 7. I thought it was going to be a cross-over. Either way, I wrote an article on my blog for the trip, event, and finally the car. We weren't tempted by it, though I am rooting for their success... That VPA platform is what I was hoping to see with multiple cars, not just one.

What I didn't write on that post, but is covered on the Barstow Supercharger thread is the wait time on Wednesday night around 6pm when I was headed back to LA.

• Informative
Reactions: Model S M.D.

From Episode Review of "Stargate SG-1" Season 10: "Bounty" :
"Our look at the technology conference Crater attends is amusing. Dr. Lee is there as well, and is apparently a veteran of the conferences. We get a nice look at how the SGC is trying to introduce some of the advanced technology they have discovered to the public: they present it as an "innovation" with lots of flaws that have been introduced to make it believable. For example, Dr. Lee shows off some type of ray gun that has been "fixed" to not work in the demonstration. Carter then demonstrates a hologram generator, so the image the bounty hunter following her shoots is a hologram instead of the real thing. How convenient. Carter then fixes Dr. Lee's ray gun and shoots the bounty hunter - that has to be a fix in record time, even for her. As a side note, it's nice to see Carter acknowledging that the hologram generator was first publicly shown in her TV interview in season 8's "Covenant"."

I wonder. Just saying. I know, Blue Screen Of Death with Microsoft and all. Still.

I was lucky enough to get an invite to the event. I'm a big fan of all EVs, and own a Model S (and my wife has her Roadster).

I took it as an opportunity to check it out and was disappointed that the car had 4 seats and not 7.
I'm entirely pleased by this. At most, I have one passenger. And, in the future, with self driving cars, we will both be in back much of the time, not the front. I don't want to be sardined into a tight little space like I'm trying to infiltrate another country clandestinely. Cars are supposed to be comfortable. Two seats is simply perfect. The idea of 2x2 is just luscious. 7?! Ok, if you're asking for 7, you might as well ask for everything else too, including a camper, a truck, and all sorts of other things. And I'm not against that. Many, many families exist with dad, mom, and 3 children, and that's great; that's a particularly important phase of life, for about 15 years per lifetime (so around 20% of life). But there's definitely a place for a 4 seat vehicle with ample room, not squeezed into place. I already feel laterally, vertically and longitudinally squeezed into the Model S I bought when I'm in the driver's seat, and the rear seats are even worse, and I can hardly wait until I have a car where all seats are comfortable (and it doesn't pollute with fossil fuels). The sooner high end luxury electric vehicles get on the market with decent room, the sooner it comes into my affordability range (through one means or another). I am far from the only one who would appreciate only two seats in back.

The whole idea of a third seat in the back row of a short vehicle has always offended me. I understand when farming was manual labor and a certain % of the children died some way or other before becoming adults that we needed to have families of ten children each, but cars are long since past that era of our civilization; if anything, we should all have 3-4 children, and have 6 seater stretch vehicles with 3 rows with ample room in each row, only two seats per, no squeezing in any direction for anyone. And if you claim we're trying to breed smaller humans to fit in tighter spots, we're already designing computer programs to be sentient, so those can fit in all sorts of oddly different space sizes and locations, so I don't accept the idea that homo sapiens and related species have to fit that attitude of encouraged shrinkage.

I'm entirely pleased by this. At most, I have one passenger. And, in the future, with self driving cars, we will both be in back much of the time, not the front. I don't want to be sardined into a tight little space like I'm trying to infiltrate another country clandestinely. Cars are supposed to be comfortable. Two seats is simply perfect. The idea of 2x2 is just luscious. 7?! Ok, if you're asking for 7, you might as well ask for everything else too, including a camper, a truck, and all sorts of other things. And I'm not against that. Many, many families exist with dad, mom, and 3 children, and that's great; that's a particularly important phase of life, for about 15 years per lifetime (so around 20% of life). But there's definitely a place for a 4 seat vehicle with ample room, not squeezed into place. I already feel laterally, vertically and longitudinally squeezed into the Model S I bought when I'm in the driver's seat, and the rear seats are even worse, and I can hardly wait until I have a car where all seats are comfortable (and it doesn't pollute with fossil fuels). The sooner high end luxury electric vehicles get on the market with decent room, the sooner it comes into my affordability range (through one means or another). I am far from the only one who would appreciate only two seats in back.

The whole idea of a third seat in the back row of a short vehicle has always offended me. I understand when farming was manual labor and a certain % of the children died some way or other before becoming adults that we needed to have families of ten children each, but cars are long since past that era of our civilization; if anything, we should all have 3-4 children, and have 6 seater stretch vehicles with 3 rows with ample room in each row, only two seats per, no squeezing in any direction for anyone. And if you claim we're trying to breed smaller humans to fit in tighter spots, we're already designing computer programs to be sentient, so those can fit in all sorts of oddly different space sizes and locations, so I don't accept the idea that homo sapiens and related species have to fit that attitude of encouraged shrinkage.

We fit in the Roadster just fine.

However, most of our extended family live in Southern California... So, if we're heading out somewhere with family, it WOULD be nice to fit everyone into one LARGE EV for that drive. Though we've convinced several family members into EVs, a higher density drive would also mean that we're contributing less cars to local traffic.

Interesting read:
Faraday Future's 2.4-Second 0-60 Is Nothing But a Distraction

Sampson revealed that the nascent automaker doesn't plan to make its biggest profits from traditional car sales at all. Rather, Faraday Future sees itself as a content provider. When the vehicle pilots itself, you're free to consume media on every ride—media that's beamed and billed by Faraday Future. You may not even have to buy the car, simply hailing a roving autonomous vehicle when you need a ride.

Interesting how their supposedly biggest differentiators, such as providing media content, weren't even demonstrated during the reveal. I guess those are a lot harder to do than to rig up a stripped down prototype that can accelerate quickly.

Interesting read:
Faraday Future's 2.4-Second 0-60 Is Nothing But a Distraction

Interesting how their supposedly biggest differentiators, such as providing media content, weren't even demonstrated during the reveal. I guess those are a lot harder to do than to rig up a stripped down prototype that can accelerate quickly.

Would not make much money off of me...consuming media while mobile makes be rather sick. The torque-ness of a BEV actually makes the sensation worse.