Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Faraday Future Live Event

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the videos with Rawlinson and Tesla, I thought he looked very competent. How soon did they go to FF ... maybe that's why they were fired?

Rawlinson wasn't fired. He left because there cannot be two alpha males (him and Elon) in one company. There were major diagreements between Rawlinson and Elon. Sampson was Rawlinson's right hand man. When Rawlinson left, Elon didn't see a need for Sampson and fired him.
Rawlinson went to Lucid and Sampson went to FF.

Last edited:
Rawlinson wasn't fired. He left because there cannot be two alpha males (him and Elon) in one company. There were major diagreements between Rawlinson and Elon. Sampson was Rawlinson's right hand man. When Rawlinson left, Elon didn't see a need for Sampson and fired him.
Rawlinson went to Lucid and Sampson went to FF.
Ok, that's interesting history to me.

Fast forward to today, and I think Elon is spread so thin he could use some more alpha males in his companies, especially Tesla. The innovation and progress has been lackluster lately, at exactly the time they have to keep up since they have so much on their plate and finally (yay!) some competition (that Elon likes but should, in my humble opinion, continue to offer compelling competitive products, even if leaving room for other players). How exactly to implement I don't have any huge opinions.

To my knowledge both were fired.

I agree Rawlinson is a passionate, great engineer.
But nerds like him & his former subaltern never work in upselling a product.
A product that has yet been well defined.With a world class designer.
mazda furai concept ( Remember, that was Franz Apprentice piece for moving over to Fremont 8 (!) years ago)

But now being in CEO position he lacks the basic sensitivity of most car execs to let the designers do their work.
They package the thing.
They make it attractive.
That´s one point why Apple in the Steve Jobs days rose to perfection.Ive.
This is where Elon shines.

Lucid and FF look like from the early 2000s.
FF will go nowhere and Jia will snatch the IP and mimic the (better) "LeSee" stuff in China.
He´s already investing the "saved" trillions in China, leaving behind the empty shell, the corpse
of the "American Shortcut" to the Asian catch up.
Rawlinson will have to do his homework to find a designer in the league of Franz.
He has to better.While the other party snatches the top Volvo tier….

Rawlinson will have to do his homework to find a designer in the league of Franz.
He has to better.While the other party snatches the top Volvo tier….

I have to strongly disagree here. Lucid Design Chief is Derek Jenkins, formerly Design Chief of Mazda North America (Franz also was with Mazda before joining Tesla). Derek is credited with applying the Kodo design language to the latest Mazda Miata which last year won World Car of the Year. Besides, I think the Air looks more premium and more like a $100,000 car than the Model S, especially the interior.

Besides, I think the Air looks more premium and more like a $100,000 car than the Model S, especially the interior.

The interior is prototype. We shall what the production car looks like for $100k.

The exterior is a joke for a $100k.

It looks like a SAAB concept car from 1984.

The Model S exterior is inline with Maserati and Jaguar traditional design language.

• Disagree
Reactions: Porfiry
The interior is prototype. We shall what the production car looks like for $100k.

The Model S exterior is inline with Maserati and Jaguar traditional design language.
We will have to agree to disagree. While I think the Model S looks good, it copies too much from Jaguar and Maserati.
The Air, to me is a fresh design and it certainly does not look like a Saab concept. Does any Saab concept has the Air's ultra slim swiveling headlights, wrap back glass, brushed cantrail and the clamshell trunk? Please show me a Saab concept that you claim the Air looks like.

Last edited:
While I think the Model S looks good, it copies too much from Jaguar and Maserati.

At the very least it looks like a hundred grand.

The Air, to me is a fresh design and it certainly does not look like a Saab concept. Does any Saab concept has the Air's ultra slim swiveling headlights, wrap back glass, brushed cantrail and the clamshell trunk? Please show me a Saab concept that you claim the Air looks like.

No SAAB has those headlights that is why it looks LIKE a CONCEPT. SAAB. FROM THE 80s.

I did not name a particular concept.

It looks LIKE car from a designer working at SAAB in the 1980's.

What his vision might be for a car 30 years into the future.

Too bad.Bach already left again.Too fast to follow.

If Rawlinson wasn´t fired-

• why did he "justify" his Tesla position a full TWO years longer @ LinkedIn?
• why did he get granted the patent for a re enforced body understructure a full two years after his demise.Read re-enforced
• if everything went smoothly why does he strictly refuse to talk anything Tesla since then? Omertà

Something absolutely critical must have happened.

Maybe Elon wanted ´dem producer credits ;)

Why does everything smell vendetta?

• Funny
Reactions: lunitiks
Well, this is looking more and more like it's meant for the Chinese executive market. In which case, it wouldn't make sense to build it in the U.S. and export it to China. Better to design it here and build it there for the local market. No need to worry about that mound of dirt in Nevada then. :)

The side profile of the Air reminds me of a streamlined:

9000.jpg

I agree that the interior looks luxurious...but that interior won't be available anywhere near the $100k pricepoint.