TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Faraday Future

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by hockeythug, Jul 15, 2015.

1. hockeythug

hockeythug Active Member

"Out by 2017". We'll see.

Notable staff:
    New Electric Car Company Emerges: Faraday Future

2. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

Read it. Good luck to them. I don't think they'll make 2017, perhaps with a handful of handmade cars. It'll be several years too late for versus the Model S since Tesla will have moved on to the Model 3, but more choices in EVs isn't a bad thing.

3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Always glad to see another EV start up, and their management and design team looks promising. But who is the CEO and who is funding them?
    I wish them all the best!

4. SteveG3

SteveG3 Active Member

the article said they are not disclosing who the CEO is. it does look like an impressive list of staff, and if their "boatloads" of other former Tesla people is true, even more impressive.

what funding and leadership could bring in these people... could the project actually be from a major tech giant, similar to how Apple secretly started a group (in the hundreds IIRC) working on an unspecified auto project? I suppose FF could actually be Apple's project.

5. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Seriously doubt that. Apple keeps new product development shrouded in mystery.

Article says that FF is going to launch a car in 2017. I think that means they will build one concept vehicle and show it.

I really do.wish them well!

6. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

Tesla should invest in them. I mean, Daimler and Toyota helped get Tesla through tough times. Pay it forward and if FF is successful, maybe it'll help motivate legacy manufacturers to move towards electrics faster than with Tesla-only. That's Tesla's ultimate goal anyway, right? I wonder how many Tesla patents FF is using. I presume several.

7. ModelX

ModelX Member

Sounds like a good team! Hope they can make it happen!

8. Phil K

Phil K Member

Glad to see newcomers emerging and I hope they will be successful.

9. mwulff

mwulff Member

I hope they make it. The more EV companies we have the better choice there is in the marketplace. And all projections say that Tesla can't cover the entire market anyway, so there is room for "Faraday Future".

I don't like the name though. Is it just me?

10. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Yeah, the name sucks. No listed CEO? Whaaaat? Very odd...

11. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

Martin, is that you?

12. abasile

abasile Independent Software Eng.

San Bernardino Mts., CA (Elev. 6100' / 1800m)
    LinkedIn indicates they have in the range of 200-500 employees. On their Careers page they emphasize EEs with software as a subcategory. I'm surprised there's not a greater apparent emphasis on software engineers.

13. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

Wow looks and sounds very promising.

I will begin to follow them closely.

14. EldestOyster

EldestOyster Member

Better Martin, than Henrik.

15. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

I'm crossing all my fingers, he is, but it looks like he is not:

16. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

Atieva

Atieva-hiring-EV-Engineers-Back-1.jpg

Atieva’s website says the engineers who join the team will “work with some of the best, most accomplished minds in the industry,” and that’s no exaggeration. In addition to Tse, the company’s team currently includes many top ex-Tesla engineers who were critical to the initial design of the Model S. Combing through Atieva’s staff on LinkedIn, we found 12 employees who used to work for Tesla, or about 10% of its current design team.

https://chargedevs.com/newswire/exclusive-stealthy-ev-startup-atieva-ramps-up-hiring-including-many-top-ex-tesla-engineers/

Wouldn't it be something to have a Silicon Valley Big Three?

17. SteveG3

SteveG3 Active Member

At least two new Silicon Valley EV startups... this is fun, interesting, holds the possibility of a large boon to Tesla's mission and new innovation in sustainable transport, and well positioned for voluminous misrepresentation in the media ;)

fwiw, the global vehicle market is growing from roughly 82 million vehicles sold last year to 100 million in 2020. Tesla is aiming for 0.5% of where the pie is expected to grow to in 2020. In my view, the incumbent automakers are not necessarily bumbling fools for widely ignoring the spur of Tesla's success to date... they can still grow their businesses quite nicely for years to come without ripping apart everything they've known for a century in the span of a few years and stranding assets in plants, equipment, trained workforces and engineers. If these are viably funded startups with tech savvy backers and leadership, it's exciting to see. If so, they will both be responding to the catalyst Tesla Motors is meant to be and enlarging it. Looking forward to watching this all develop!

18. Bangor Bob

Bangor Bob Member

Obvious jokes that come to mind: The car will be called "The Cage" and toll road transponders will have to be mounted outside. They briefly considered "Millikan" but quickly realized they'd need to move more than one electron at a time.

Seriously though, the more EV manufacturers the better. It's not like the majors are in any hurry to invade the space (Nissan and VW seeming to be possible exceptions to that).

19. santana338

santana338 Member

Hopefully they will be the first third party to use the Tesla SC network. That would be huge.

20. Great Dane

Great Dane Member

Hey that is my name, Henrik that is.
    it was funny to buy a Tesla, with the first name of the CEO of Fisker Karma
    i hope they do well