Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Faraday Future

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why? It's already been proven what can be done with an EV and how to do it (and by some of the people there at Faraday via Tesla). There'd be less than zero reason to start with a proof of concept car.
Agreed. If this is really FF's first production car (and until tomorrow that is an "if") then it makes no sense as a "proof of concept" vehicle.
Hopefully things will become clearer tomorrow after the FF announcement or "launch" or whatever it will actually turn out to be.

Since it's before the official reveal, it's possible we're just being trolled.

But if that is their real car, I'm only surprised if that was their ONLY car. [EDIT: after seeing more of the car in the reveal...yeah, OK, I'm surprised even though it's not their only car and they will not build this one] But they have said they will have a range of cars, and it does make sense to start first with a halo car (very expensive, low utility - i.e. 2 seats, little cargo space, poor visibility and ingress/egress - some impressive feature(s) that often includes styling, low volume) to generate buzz, build the brand, and guarantee people visit showrooms when they are available.

Logistically, it also helps to start with a low-volume car while setting up supply chain, sales, service, factory lines, etc. And you can get some raving reviews in the media before you start asking people to buy from your brand.

I'm most intrigued by WarpedOne's take on "chain battery". Can you add/remove pieces to adjust cost/space/weight/range/performance without having to change out the entire battery? Could be useful.

Last edited:
I'm most intrigued by WarpedOne's take on "chain battery". Can you add/remove pieces to adjust cost/space/weight/range/performance without having to change out the entire battery? Could be useful.
Sounds like a dynamically configurable arrangement where you can, on the fly, configure more cells in series than in parallel for short bursts of acceleration. That's how I initially read it anyway.

Well since we can charge a 400v pack with 120v wall outlet we know it can be done but it'll be slower/less efficient/more costly to charge a pack with a bigger voltage offset.

Right... but to be compatible with off-board standards like chademo you may need to reconfigure the pack to 400v for charging then 're-serialize' it to a higher voltage for more horsepower. Adding a few contacts to allow parallel and serial configuration would likely be cheaper than a DC-DC converter.

Right... but to be compatible with off-board standards like chademo you may need to reconfigure the pack to 400v for charging then 're-serialize' it to a higher voltage for more horsepower. Adding a few contacts to allow parallel and serial configuration would likely be cheaper than a DC-DC converter.
Kind of off topic but I'm guessing that is what Porsche might do for their 800V packs to make them compatible with the current CCS DC chargers (which don't support 800V).

Kind of off topic but I'm guessing that is what Porsche might do for their 800V packs to make them compatible with the current CCS DC chargers (which don't support 800V).

As of this morning, I don't think the Mission E is going to come to fruition. It's FF and the Bolt (vehicle with => 200 mile range, available in Kansas) versus Model 3. I really hope FF has more to offer with the other vehicles. Competition is good.